Sound recording w. 3rd-party mic?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scrappledog, Dec 29, 2008.

1. scrappledog macrumors member

I asked this months ago without any definitive answers, but I'm still wondering: Is there a way to record audio (in my case, interviews) on the iTouch with a plug-in external mic? NOT the headphones/mic combo unit that Apple is selling, but a regular bud mic, the kind that reporters or whoever plug into all kinds of recording devices?

2. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

i belive there is an external mic for ipot touches and the program im not so sure of aparently some guy selling one said they were built in which they arent but i know for sure there is a program for it.

3. dudeofswim macrumors member

youd have to have a 2g or buy a belkin microphone adapter for 1g

4. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

so do the 2g's have a mic built in?

5. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Correct me if I am wrong, but you can use any mic that does not require phantom power, and has either a 1/4" cable with a 1/4"-1/8" adapter or just an 1/8" plug.

6. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

I do have the 2G 32 gig iTouch.

What recording programs are available?

7. Bennethon macrumors newbie

as far as I can tell, no. I got one a week ago and no sign of a mic

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

yea thought so cause i was trying to use shazam the otherday

9. thornev macrumors member

I use the Belkin mic adaptor on my iPod 5G and it makes great recordings. I recorded my band and I was surprised at how clear and full-range the recordings are. I plugged the adapter into my Touch 2G and it didn't seem to record at a loud enough volume with the GigBaby recording app. I don't know if that's the app's fault or what. I will eventually experiment more and see. thorne

10. fasequeira macrumors newbie

Check out this thread for some mic examples using the iTalk program.

11. fasequeira macrumors newbie

12. dudeofswim macrumors member

Ok it needs to have 3 lines on the jack 2g mic should be external
    Try the apple iPhone ones just put the earbud on them and have em talk

13. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

No internal mic in the iPod touch. There are support for adapters of the iphone variety, see the thread below:

I have the Philips, which I can use with my Panasonic headphones quite well.

14. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Not interested in headphone/mic

All I'm looking for is a simple bud mic that plugs into the iTouch's headphone receptacle. I don't understand why -- if one of these combo units can work -- a simple (or even a complex, split, etc.) microphone-only unit won't function.

Nowhere am I finding anything where I can, in lieu of earphones, which I'll take out for this task, plug in a bud mic for interviews. I don't know where to ask next...

15. fasequeira macrumors newbie

The mics in the link that I posted are all separate from the headphones. You can plug in any pair of headphones but don't NEED to. If you are doing interviews, the Griffin Smarttalk clip opens wide enough to clip onto the ipod touch. If you are recording other things, the wire length may come in useful.

If you want a plug-in mic with no wire, then any mic with the 3 rings will work. Basically, any mic SHOULD work as long as the connector is right.

16. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for that response; it's basically what I was looking to confirm for quite some time. I'll trust your response on this, too: which is the best program to download for interviewing and perhaps the occasional recording?

Thanks again...

17. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

This kind?

So ... this, for instance, would not work because it's two rings?

http://www.minidisco.com/SoundPro-SP-MMM1-DM?sc=11&category=30

This is more the kind of style mic I'm talking about ...

18. fasequeira macrumors newbie

My guess would be that it wouldn't work. I have a pair of headset/mic, your typical computer chatting ones with 2 rings and the mic portion doesn't work.

As for recording programs, the only app I've used is iTalk Recorder. It was free.

19. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

What does three rings indicate as opposed to two? Is there a way to search somewhere for "three-ring microphones?, bud style?"

20. MrLubeMan macrumors newbie

21. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

My only problem is I don't want that cable. If you click the link I posted earlier, I want something that is a simple plug-in bud mic. I'm certain there's one out there that works. I e-mailed iTalk to ask them about compatible equipment, so hopefully they'll get back to me.

22. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

Nope.

All Griffin's customer service did in reponse to my e-mail was link me to this:
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smarttalk/

Again, not at all what I'm looking for (If I ever use VOIP on the iTouch, perhaps, but not for interviews).

Still seeking a simple plug-in bud mic, like the ones for minidisc recorders for exactly this purpose.

23. scrappledog thread starter macrumors member

I've all but given up.

Well, I've traded e-mails with Griffin and another microphone manufacturer, and after much frustration I'm giving up for a bit. It seems absolutely maddening to me that: 1. Apple didn't put -- like 99 percent of other MP3 players worldwide -- an external mic on this; 2. That so far it seems the only audio input option for the sound recording programs is an awkward headphone-mic combo unit.

I'd like to speak to someone at Apple directly about this, but I don't know how to without it being my "one free support call."

24. AKmike macrumors newbie

i am working on a solution to record music onto the touch and here's where im at. i made a custom splitter that puts the headphones in one jack and the mic input on a second jack. the mic input is changed from the ring configuration in the touch to a standard mono input that will accept most mono or stereo microphones (although a stereo mic will end up mono). so you could then use most microphones for your task. heres what im still working on a solution for. i want to be able to adjust the mic level and i found that you cant just put a volume control inline with the mic. you seem to need a preamp of some kind with a line out. anyway, this is obviously a work in progress but im pretty close to having a satisfactory solution. i have been researching this mic input for a while now so if you have any questions i might be able to help.

25. Stationmaster macrumors newbie

Microphone

I bought and have used the Lloyd microphone by INSIPIO on my 2 Gn. Touch. With iTalk & iSync all worked well. The neat thing is that the microphone can stay with the iPod and with a little bit of trimming, it fits and covers the charging port. Cost was about $15 at MacWorld.

See it at <http://www.myincipio.com/c=frOwoFoZukUeUv6a5ewg4amvU/product/IPOD_NANO_IP-309/Lloyd_Microphone_Adapter_for_iPod_nano_4G__Black.html#product_content>