MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting this week, travelers on select Southwest Airlines flights will be able to listen to music streamed via Apple's Beats Music service. The airline today announced this new Beats Music option and provided a live demonstration onboard a 737 emblazoned with the Beats Music logo.

southwest-beats.jpg
Southwest adopted Beats Music in response to growing consumer interest in streaming music.
"Southwest connects our Customers to what is important in their lives and in this case, it's music," said Kevin Krone, Southwest Airlines Chief Marketing Officer. "We continue to enhance our onboard offerings to remain current as our Customers' needs evolve, and with the addition of Beats Music on our entertainment portal, we're doing just that."
The in-flight service is free and includes hundreds of music lists compiled by Beats' own expert curators. It is available on WiFi-enabled Southwest flights and is compatible with iOS, Android, and other devices.

Apple purchased Beats Music and Beats Electronics in a $3 billion deal that was finalized earlier this year. As part of the deal, Beats co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre joined Apple and are reportedly using their music contacts and Apple's clout help make inroads in the streaming music market. Rumors suggest Apple is working to lower Beats' pricing and revamp the service early next year.

Article Link: Southwest Airlines Adds Beats Music to In-Flight Entertainment Systems

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I wonder if Dr. Dre, Tim Cook, and Trent Reznor will be flying Southwest from now on.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does Beats allow you to listen to any track like Spotify, or do they force you to listen to playlists they create? I know some people like being told what to listen to, but I don't think I've ever found anyone who listens to more than half of what I do.

Comment

lsatterfield

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
I think it's funny how fragmented music is. "You can listen to Beats Music during your flight!" which is the same as saying, "You can listen to music!" It's not entirely spectacular. There isn't a special grade of music offered; it's not like getting in-flight pretzels when you're starving. XD
However, it is cool that they're branching out into something other than movies and tv shows.

Comment

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Looks like Apple is starting to reclaim some that cash from that billion dollar deal.

Comment

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think it's funny how fragmented music is. "You can listen to Beats Music during your flight!" which is the same as saying, "You can listen to music!" It's not entirely spectacular. There isn't a special grade of music offered; it's not like getting in-flight pretzels when you're starving. XD
However, it is cool that they're branching out into something other than movies and tv shows.

It's an extension of their Wi-Fi offering. Southwest optimizes their Wi-Fi for in-flight entertainment, which is free to customers as it is subsidized by sponsors. Actual Internet service on Southwest is actually pretty slow (all airplane Wi-Fi is slow, but I tend to get better throughput on American and Delta, which use GoGo Inflight, while Southwest uses Row 44).

----------

Not enough to entice me to fly on their dirty grungy late sky bus.

And how does that differ from any other airline? Some of the newer American jets have powerpoints at ever seat, which is nice, but there's a lot of old stock out there.

Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Does Beats allow you to listen to any track like Spotify, or do they force you to listen to playlists they create? I know some people like being told what to listen to, but I don't think I've ever found anyone who listens to more than half of what I do.

You can listen to any individual tracks, build playlists from them, and choose to cache locally.

But it is built heavily around curated, user generated, or algorithm based playlists. It's just the angle they push.

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I know some people like being told what to listen to, .....

It's all in how you spin it.

You could also have said, 'I know some people like to sit back, relax and just have their music come to them.'

Like.... the radio! Do you refuse to listen to the radio because you don't like being told what to listen to?

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Not only there is no more leg room to sit on Southwest now they are more ghetto/hipster.

Comment

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Not enough to entice me to fly on their dirty grungy late sky bus.

After flying a United regional jet from STL-IAD (sorry United, but there's nothing "regional" about flying halfway across the country), I'd take a Southwest 737 any day of the week.

Comment

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011

You can listen to anything, but the distinctive feature is human curated playlists that are great for discovering music.

Comment

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
It's an extension of their Wi-Fi offering. Southwest optimizes their Wi-Fi for in-flight entertainment, which is free to customers as it is subsidized by sponsors. Actual Internet service on Southwest is actually pretty slow (all airplane Wi-Fi is slow, but I tend to get better throughput on American and Delta, which use GoGo Inflight, while Southwest uses Row 44).

----------

And how does that differ from any other airline? Some of the newer American jets have powerpoints at ever seat, which is nice, but there's a lot of old stock out there.

I fly Southwest everywhere I can, cheap, bags fly free, and the staff is much nicer then any of the workers from other airlines (cough United).

Now if you always fly first class I get it, but for the average person Southwest is great.

Comment

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Weird. Apple has an agreement with United Air Lines to be the primary provider of air travel to Apple. Years ago United had an agreement with Microsoft Zune to be the "sponsor" of the in-flight audio entertainment, but that contract expired and now United doesn't have a sponsor. Would have seemed more of a fit for United, since they just launched in-cabin streaming video\movie\TV on personal devices. United still lacks audio entertainment on most flights people have come to expect it on for years.

I do see Beats + Southwest as more of a fit vs Beats + United, but it's just surprising Apple is associating with what's considered the defacto choice for air travel is price is the primary motive. It'd be like Bose teaming up with Greyhound.. not exactly premium to premium pairing. But hey what do I know? Southwest's marketing is good, they get sponsors to pay for their drinks, their peanuts\pretzels, their live TV, and now their streaming audio. It's a good business model I suppose.

Comment

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
After flying a United regional jet from STL-IAD (sorry United, but there's nothing "regional" about flying halfway across the country), I'd take a Southwest 737 any day of the week.

I totally agree. I fly quite a bit for work. It used to be that United and Delta treated you a bit different, but in the last 10 years or so...there's no difference in service.

In fact, because of the proliferation of regional jets operated by smaller carriers through agreements with the big boys (Skywest/United) it's just about the same anymore.

Southwest does a fine job - and unless you're going through Midway they're pretty reliable.

New interiors are nice too.

Comment

deadwalrus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Southwest is slowly rendering its WiFi useless:

Step 1: Introduce WiFi; $5-$10 per flight, works great, low latency, ~5MB/s.
Step 2: Offer Free Streaming DirectTV(tm) over WiFi (side effect: internet goes to complete crap--lucky to get 1000ms pings with 10KB/s).
Step 3: Introduce Free Beats Audio(tm) over WiFi.
Step 4: Profit?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.