Space between front glass and bezel on iphone 4...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nathanschafer, Feb 9, 2011.

1. nathanschafer macrumors member

Hey guys,

I was sitting at work today when i noticed that my iphone 4 has a gap between the bezel and the stainless steel band. If you look at the top of your iPhone 4 above the stainless steel band, is there a very small gap between the stainless steel band and the bezel? I could just manage to get a piece of paper in there.

I am not concerned but have two questions...

1. Could this problem get worse (gap get bigger)

2. Could dust get in and get onto the screen?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

That space shouldn't be there. Hard to say what will happen though. Is your phone new?

3. nathanschafer, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2011

nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply. My phone is half a month old, never been dropped and always been in a case.

If i pressed down on the front of the glass for a while, would the gap dissapear (by the bezel warping)?

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Don't worry about dust getting under the glass. The LCD screen is fused to the glass itself, so if you see any dust under there, it was from during manufacturing.

It shouldn't be a huge problem in the long run if you're not nitpicky/OCD. It sounds like the gap is not very large if you could only barely get a piece of paper in there. I doubt you could warp the bezel down, but you could try. Just don't stomp on it or anything :p

5. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

I tried to push down on it, but it didn't seem to do much. I don't want to keep doing it because i am scared i will snap a screw or something that holds the bezel down....dust getting into the normal parts of the phone wouldn't be a problem right?

6. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Could i damage something if i pressed down on it quite hard?

7. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

The short answer is yes, you could damage it. If you're that worried about it, I'd suggest getting in contact with apple. I'm sure they'd be willing to exchange it for you

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There has been a few recent threads on this.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1088456&highlight=

9. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

In the link that JamesMB gave me, there still wasn't an answer.

I understand the gaps on the back are normal, but are they still normal on the front?

10. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

I have been looking at pictures of iphone 4's on the internet, and have found one that has a gap similar to mine. Please look closely, anyone else have this problem? As you can see, it starts near the power-button and finishes off near the headphone jack. My gap is around the same size (width)

Attached Files:

11. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

I don't think I will contact apple, Im just being ocd...

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Sorry to bump but my phone has the same issue. Tiny gap on front of the phone. A hard case does go over it, but i noticed it when I was cleaning. I can also get a paper but just a corner of it under it. My screen is too perfect for me to take it in however. Maybe right before my warranty runs out ill replace it.

13. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Hey, This seems to be a very common problem. My uncles phone also had this.

I do not think it is a big issue, i can also just get the edge of a piece of paper under it. Is yous the same as the image i posted?

I don't think i will return it. I made the gap a bit smaller however, by pressing down on the edge of the phone for about 2 minutes. Try that, if you want, and tell me how it goes.

Talk soon

14. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

btw, i saw your other posts and i saw that you said "the gap doesn't happen on the new phones". Why is this?

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

do you have facebook or aIM to talk faster??

I meant the yellow tint is not on new phones. my phone is brand new and has this gap. My gap is on the front of the screen by the headphone jack and is about an inch long or lil shorter than inch. I can only fit the tip of a paper in it. How is yours ?

16. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

My gap is longer than yours, stretches from the headphone jack to the sleep /wake button. it builds up to a high peak and then gets smaller again. Have a genuis appointment booked for this weekend. Ill tell you how it goes. Bit nervous though, the genius will think I am an idiot lol

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Thought you were keeping it?
    only reason im keeping mine is bc the replacements phones are all refurbs which are all yellow tinted.

18. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Where are you? In australia, all referbs are perfect (and are thought of as being better than new phones, seeing as they are checked over before being released again). I have a refurb, and it is not yellow tinted at all. Would there be any way to fix the gap without taking it in. Would replacing the screen fix it? Or don't
    you replace the bezel in the process?

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

OHH all the refurbs in the US are yellow tinted. Honestly, forget about the gap. I have a case over mine. If it gets worse, take it in. Or wait until you scratch it or a real problem occurs.

20. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Haha ok, if i change my mind i will cancel my genuis. If not, I will tell you how it goes :)

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

How did you notice yours? Does it look like the screen will come off over time??? How does this even happen. A lot of other people have this issue too in the Apple forums. But they are just living with it like me. Im only keeping this for 3 more months till the 5 comes out

22. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Its good to know others have this problem, so we're not the only ones. Im gonna go to the genius this weekend, and try to get them to replace it. Is your gap hard to see unless under direct light? Do you think the genius will be able to see it? What should I say to him/her? I really want a replacement, because i am going to have this phone until the iphone 6. I noticed mine when I was cleaning, just like you.

Any advice on what to say?

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I am really not sure what to say. I guess you should just show them the paper thing. I've read others couldn't get it replaced bc the genius said it's within specs. I looked at display models today and every 3 had the gap. I think it's normal them. I'm keeping my phone now. My battery is too good for me to replace it too. I have a case that covers it too

24. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Thats good to know that it is a common problem. Btw, is your stainless steel band scratched? No matter how hard i try, I have one small little ding/scratch on it. Where did you go to look at the display models?

25. nathanschafer thread starter macrumors member

Also, could you please attach a picture of your gap?