Space Black Stainless Steel Link Bracelet

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mizxco, Apr 19, 2015.

1. mizxco, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015

mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I notice this band, which really caught my attention during my try-on, is not available as an accessory purchase.

Here's to wondering if Apple would replace it (with a fee) for owners of this edition if the band goes missing or stolen.. :cool:

Or would they treat it as half a product and refuse service, which would be inconvenient since I'm hoping to use a sports band when i jog.

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Doubt it, either way I'm pretty sure they still charge a replacement fee even with Apple care +

3. mizxco thread starter macrumors 6502a

mizxco

If so, you're paying one incidental fee for a new band? That's not bad if someone's willing to risk it.

4. ejisfun macrumors regular

I believe the deductibles require you to return the original damaged item...like if you lose your iPhone, you can't just pay $79 or whatever and get a new one. Basically to prevent people from doing exactly this.

5. mizxco, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

mizxco thread starter macrumors 6502a

mizxco

The watch though, is different. It may or may not be part of the product, I was gonna use bringing a mbp screen asking for new laptop analogy but it doesn't work.

As a watch, there are too many scenarios where the band could be broken or lost. It's the way it's design and marketed, Tim Cook is a proud band swapper.

On the top of my head, if the owner of this watch jogs every morning, swapping out for a sports band, returns home to find his band lost/stolen. His only option now is to buy one of the 5 bands on the AOS?

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

AC+ doesn't cover loss. Your homeowners insurance agent would be the person to contact in the event of theft.

7. mizxco thread starter macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I never said anything about AC+ nor am I talking about getting something for free.

Even if my insurance covers it, how am I supposed to get the same space black stainless steel bracelet.

I'm talking about whether Apple will allow a replacement method for these owners.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Even if they allow you to pay the out of warranty replacement cost ($329) for the replacement link bracelet, they still require you to swap out the original band. If it's lost or stolen, no go.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Apple will carry replacement parts for Apple Watch. I can't imagine the band would not be an available part. However, you would have to show you purchased it in the first place. That's my guess, as even now, unless you are an authorized repair establishment, you can't order any Apple parts yourself anyway.

And yes, you did imply in the OP you wanted to get a band for free. The word missing in quotes and the emoji were obvious as to your intended meaning. I also thought you were implying warranty replacement, and AC+ would have been the only extended warranty they offer that would even have a chance of covering it (which it won't). You might look into 3rd party coverage as some do cover lost items.

10. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

I've seen a few of the Space Black bands for sale on eBay for like $550 (from people who bought Space Black SS watches but didn't want the link band), which really isn't a bad price.

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I had that thought myself. Just in case I didn't like something about the link band, it shouldn't be a problem unloading it at a decent price. It's the only way to get the SB case in any event. I suspect the band will fit nicely though. I also ordered a black leather loop as plan 'B' ;)

12. mizxco thread starter macrumors 6502a

mizxco

I made it clear in brackets "with a fee" not FREE. I never expected getting a complimentary band. But to discuss whether space black link bracelet owners have an official replacement option.

Exactly, what if one day you decide you want your link bracelet back, as per it's original form. You're willing to pay for it, it's something you should have. That would not be possible in today's arrangement.

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

"with a fee". Ok, but you obviously meant the original band wouldn't have gone walk-about on its own. The fee you were implying wasn't the full purchase price, therefore, at least part of the "fee" you envisioned was "free".

All that aside, I think we can agree there will be bracelets available through eBay, etc., even if not through Apple.