Space Gray Or Silver Sport Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by boombox15, Apr 12, 2015.

1. boombox15, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

boombox15 macrumors regular

I am buying the Apple Watch Sport (42MM Version for sure) my only question is if I should get the Silver model or the Space Gray Model. I am thinking the blue band for the silver one. Does the Space Gray have more of a matte finish to it? I don't live near a store to try one out and I want to be happy with no regrets. My Wife is getting hers in May because she knew what she wanted right away, unlike me. :(

Pictures would be great!

Thanks!

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

In my opinion, the Space Grey has more of a shine to it compared to the silver. It also has a deeper color, getting almost black in some lighting, and nearly as light as an iPhone 6 in others. While I liked the silver, I favored the dark.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Space Gray looks a bit dressier than the silver. It remains to be seen how it will handle scratches and such, but I'm excited after trying it on tonight

Attached Files:

4. ipadoxca macrumors regular

I bought the space gray by I also can't decide with blue leather loop or black

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I seem to be in the minority preffering the silver. I think the SG watch looks a bit more 'smartwatch-y' than the silver one, not sure why though.

Having said that, both look very nice.

6. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

I'm in the same camp.

I do appreciate immensely the look of the space grey, and I have a black iPhone 5, used to have a black iPad mini etc. So I love black electronics.

However, since the Watch is a wearable, it gets a bit more boring in black. Like wearing black clothes. Which is fine for many occasions, but I prefer something more lively for daily usage.

That's why I ordered the Silver with a blue sport band. And I intend to get other color bands later, starting with the black one for more formal occasions :D

7. BMox macrumors 6502

BMox

Same watch I ordered with same colour additional band. I'll probably order the Milanese loop next week as well.

8. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

Bought the space grey version, it looks absolutely beautiful on my wrist. :cool:

9. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Honestly I got the space grey because i wanted to be a little discreet.

10. Brett1203 macrumors 6502a

Brett1203

I bought the 42mm Sport with the White band, and in person I loved it!!

11. bnekic macrumors 6502a

bnekic

Space Gray Or Silver Sport Watch?

I got the 42mm silver sport watch with white and black sport bands. The reason I got silver is because it will show scratches less then space gray, it will go with more bands and gives it some contrast when using the black band.

12. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

13. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

The silver sport matches more bands than the space gray sports watch. But if I weren't buying any extra bands, I'd get the space grey sports watch

14. mac.cali macrumors 65816

My dilemma is the space gray sport or the stainless steel. It's a tough decision. But I do like the look of the all black over the "chrome" finish. Decisions, decisions.

15. BillabongJoe macrumors member

BillabongJoe

Went for silver/white because I prefer lighter colours. I have a silver/white iPhone a silver/white iPad, so this will go with those.

16. AbsoluteMustard macrumors regular

I don't care for black watches much. Other than a Gshock, all of mine are silver, so silver sport is what works for me.

17. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

Went into the Apple Store twice now trying on different straps with the space gray sport. Was set on the brown leather at first, but then started doubting and considering the black or blue. Went into the store and tried the blue, and wasn't a fan. But the black leather loop with the space gray case is awesome! There was another employee standing near me while I was trying it on and he commented on how good it looked, and even said that it looks similar to the black ss watch with link band, but for less than 1/2 the price! We both agreed that is the way to go, haha. Some pics of the black/black attached below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I second this - the space gray is gorgeous and looks great with the black leather loop.

19. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

Having seen and handled both, the space grey has more of the "80s Casio look" to it, whereas the silver looks more like a sports watch. If I was purchasing the Sport, I'd go for silver but add a nicer band for when I wasn't exercising.

20. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I would check out the loops in store if possible. I've read that they're not that great.
    Everyone is says that the SS version looks fantastic. But, is it worth the extra $200, not sure, especially for a version 1 device. Might be better off getting the Space Grey and getting an additional band of your choice.

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I swapped from the space grey to the silver/white one. I have a bad feeling it's going to show up dings/chips really bad. Plus after seeing them in the flesh, the silver looks better IMO.

I originally thought the black would be nicer (and in photos it is) but in real life the silver looks nicer.

22. BD1 macrumors 6502

I like both, but like the silver aluminum more with a black band:

Attached Files:

23. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I think the only reason Apple didn't sell this combo is because it would cannibalise SS + black sports band sales.

24. mac.cali macrumors 65816

I cancelled my SS and stuck with the SG. If it's not for me, then I'll just return and wait in line. It won't be the end of the world if I had to wait. But the SG with black leather band looks good. :)

25. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Just to point out, the leather loop is 40% the price of what you spent on the entire watch - you better REALLY like it ;)