Space Gray or Silver

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ct1211, Apr 21, 2015.

1. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I know everyone wants a distinctive look with the rMB being the first Mac Laptop available in colors but I finally stopped at the Apple store near me to have a look at SG. I ordered a 1.3Ghz version in Space Gray that I won't receive until May 15th. Now that I've seen it in person I think it bears a strong resemblance to any generic plastic windows laptop. The old standby Silver looks good as ever! The gold is too feminine and a little garish for my taste - Plus my wife has one! Anyone else think Silver is the better choice?

On another note - I know where Apple is headed as a company - Fashion and those big fat jewelry profits! My local Apple store is big and yet 50% of the store is now devoted to watches!

2. newellj macrumors 601

Not really to your point, but I do think I see a transition from computer company to mobile phone company to fitness/fashion wearable company...

On color, I think they all look good, but I definitely agree that the classic silver still looks great.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Space Gray looks awesome to me. Doesn't look like a generic Windows laptop to me, but rather is the color with the most premium look for the rMB. I love it.

I just think many people are tired of silver. Those of us who wanted a black MacBook again...this is the closest thing.

4. bcegi macrumors member

I agree with you on the cheap look of the Space Gray. When I saw it at the Best Buy yesterday, I could not put finger on it until I read your post regarding the cheap PC feel. I was 100% going for the Space Gray but have decided against it.

5. One2Manycats macrumors newbie

I was going to go for the Space Gray as well, but in the end decided on Silver. I just think that Silver will hide any type of wear and tear much better.

6. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

I agree with you and I have the Space Gray. But I'm so happy with how this machine turned out (screen quality, battery life, perfect keyboard, fit & finish, etc.) that I don't feel like playing the Apple lottery.

If the launch had been different, where we got to see the samples prior to order, I would most likely have gone with Silver. Nice and classy.

7. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

I love all three, haha. I picked the Gold because I wanted something a little different and to see it at night when I place it on a table.

I don't think the Space Gray looks 'cheap'. It's very sleek.

8. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I just got my Space Gray today (from BestBuy online) and I really like the color. Looks especially great with the black bezel and the LED keyboard keys. I do wish the Apple on the lid were more of a silver color and not quite as dark (it's hard to see against the dark gray aluminum.

9. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

Between silver and space gray, I definitely like space gray more. However, that was my second choice, as I went with gold. I think it looks quite masculine, especially with the black keys and bezel. I'm more of a 'stand out in the crowd' type of guy, while space gray will more so blend in with the crowd. Both of these colors are extensively premium though, each within their distinctive tastes. :apple:

10. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Interesting... I'm Italian i like gold, hell i never take my gold chain off lol. But i found the "gold" MBR to be more of a champagne color. Than again if it were a 14k gold sort of color that might be too gaudy. That is the first time on here i seen someone say it looked masculine. I dig the gold though, i just love anything that is Matte colored black or gray. More of the "stealth" look. :cool:

11. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Throughout history, gold has always been a masculine color.. Gold is the most rare and precious metal, also considered the metal of the Gods and worshiped because it's color matched the sun. Silver has always been viewed as feminine as its the color of the moon and the moon has always been seen as having feminine qualities. Even in modern times, when someone wants to make a bold statement with something, they do it in gold, not silver or grey. No idea how some people think gold is a feminine color.

12. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Well i know gold is a masculine metal. What i meant was the "GOLD MBR" looks closer to champagne than a pure gold color. At least from what i seen in the Apple store. Granted they have weird lighting. When i say gold i am speaking of like the color you see on a 14k gold necklace or bracelet, or a gold unmelted bar. The MBR i thought has a much softer tone, more like a champagne. Thats all.

13. rahulr macrumors regular

My space gray MB next to my wife's traditional MB really makes my machine stand out. I love how it looks a little subdued but is very much distinctly an apple. I guess taste is very personal, but so far I'm not at all upset at the looks. Almost is a gunmetal color.

14. DCLocal macrumors newbie

SG for me

While I agree that silver will wear better and hide nicks and scratches better should they occur, I'm all in on the Space Gray. I really like the color and wanted something different.

It is great we have a choice and I think all three colors are very nice and well done.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Space gray is a nice color, and I'd prefer that over the silver. With that said, if you're going to offer colors, why not provide a wider gamut of options.

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If I was getting one, I would definitely get the space gray. It looks amazing and I love it. Silver is classic though and I like it too. Gold is not my thing.

17. newellj macrumors 601

Whatever else is true, that's likely accurate.

----------

That's probably the best word I've seen for the gold rMB.

18. Bleedcubbieblue macrumors newbie

I would disagree that any of the MacBooks look cheap. You can tell aluminum from plastic any day.
    I went with the gold since I'm compatible with my masculinity lol and like a little flash. I also went with the white apple watch over space grey for this reason.
    My next choice would have been the space grey since like others have said the black bezel with space grey is so sleek. Maybe I'm just sick of 12 years of silver/grey MacBooks...

19. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

For some reason the SG version reminds me too much of a Chromebook. I don't use any of my laptops in a public setting (i.e. Starbucks, etc.), but if I did I'm pretty sure a lot of ppl would mistaken the SG version for a PC whereas the silver version they'd automatically think Mac. With that said I think they BOTH look really good. Not really feeling the gold version at all.

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

This is not an iPod. iPhones and iPads also only have 3 color options.

21. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Yeah. I can only imagine how many unsold MBs Apple would have simply due to color if they made green, red, and so on.

22. noobinator macrumors 601

Space Gray for me just because I've been looking at silver MacBooks for nearly a decade now.

23. whatos macrumors 6502a

Happily locked on Silver my cousin is waiting like the rest of us.

24. saifrc macrumors member

Why not? To keep these folks in business:

http://www.colorware.com/

25. palmwangja macrumors regular

palmwangja

I'm very much worried if my SG will be look like this. :D

[​IMG]