Space Station Computer Failure: Will They Abandon?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zgh1999, Jun 14, 2007.

1. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

I assume the Space Station does not run Mac OS X?

An unprecedented computer failure in the Russian segment of the International Space Station has engineers at space centers in Houston and Russia racing the clock to solve the problem before the Space Shuttle Atlantis undocks on June 19.

Cmdr. Fyodor Yurchikhin stayed up all night to work with flight controllers in Russia's Mission Control to repair the problem.

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

That thing is such a money sink. Dump the sucker and move to the moon base already :p

3. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

If they can't get an orbital space station to work reliably where the crew can bail out safely, what do you think the outcome will be for a moon base where there is no quick/easy way to get them home?

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

jeez you'd think these guys might have watched DS9 for idea's on a proper space station :D

maybe the russion section computers are not compatiable?

[​IMG]

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

They spent all their money on the orbiter to mercury and only had enough money left to buy an old gateway with a 500Mhz processor 128Mb or RAM running Win NT.

[​IMG]

I see this at work all the time on my 500Mhz Gateway:(

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

home would be the moon. for them at least.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It appears that they've gotten things more or less working again.

Now they're sewing a new thermal blanket on the engine pod. :eek: Sewing!

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i'm sure duct tape would have done nice;)

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wirelessly posted (HTCP4350-Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC))

in soviet russia space station, windows crash you!

11. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

So, you're saying anyone living on a base on the moon shouldn't be able to come back to Earth in case of an emergency?

12. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Surely they could just 'fly straight back to earth' like they did in 1969 ? - and forgoe the stop at 'smokin joe's Whistlestop orbiting 'Hot Chicken Takeway' or whatever that place is destined to become ?

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

would ctrl alt delete work? It sometimes worked when i used 98 ;)

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

i would think it just goes with the fact that you are living 225,000 miles away from "home"...sh*t happens.

i would imagine a "base" on the moon, in an emergency, is all but screwed except for maybe some sort of escape pods ala SpaceBalls.

if the base had hundreds of people living and working on it, maybe a far off number, it would be one logistical nightmare to get everyone at once back to earth safely.

you cant just think, well, its only like 3 days to Earth, I can let this heartattack wait. the moon would be home.

15. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Yeah, but would Domino's still run a delivery service ?

On a serious note there would be a steady convoy of supply craft so I imagine a 'trip back to earth' would always be just around the corner...

Space Truckers!!!

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

It's incidents like this that reinfornce the fact that the human race is so primitive when it comes to matters such as existing & traveling in space. Yeah, I know, "we're trying", but how far has the space program come in the past 40 years? Even our concepts & methods of space travel are primitive thanks to our limited and flawed understanding of the true physics of the universe. Ah well, what can ya do but shake your head... some day we'll progress... maybe... :cool:

17. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Hundreds of workers? I always imagined a moon base having something like a dozen residents at most.

Any suggestions for speeding things up? Where can we learn about the "true physics of the universe"?

18. pengu macrumors 6502a

19. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

20. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Tragic isn't it. How wrong Kubrick was with '2001'!!

Far as I can make out we are at least 50 years from 'being close' and if this green eco climate change hysteria triggers the politco's to start shutting down real world industry, tech progress and enterprise then it looks like it could easily be another 200+ years - if at all!...

Looks like we had a window in '69 and blew it.

Got to hand it to America for the incredible achievement - That moment represents THE high water mark of human technological achievement throughout the entire history of mankind.

Nothing else has even come close.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

The unfortunate fact is that many people in this world are closed-minded and skeptical, not willing to consider possibilities which might take them out of their comfort zone or challenge their beliefs. Many suggestions, discoveries, etc. have been made or have been presented previously, yet the scientific community at large prefers to either ignore or reject any claims which might shatter their convenient paradigms. As a result, many people who "think outside the box" are ridculed or scoffed at; their studies, theories and beliefs deemed proposterous - it's an unfortunate truth. We think we are so advanced and know so much, yet we do not in many respects.

If you are open-minded and genuinely interested to learn more, please PM me, I'd be happy to share. :cool:

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

From back in my aerospace days, it had always been my impression that NASA purposely uses older hardware because there's been more development on hardware-level bugs and because the larger die processes and slower processors are less vulnerable to unexpected behavior resulting from cosmic rays and other radiation with larger cross sections in orbit than on Earth....

23. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

PM sent :)

That is correct. One more reason that space computers also lag behind terrestrial systems in terms of raw speed is that most processors need to be "space-hardened" before getting sent up there, to avoid the problems you mentioned.