Spaces feature!

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I don't know if anyone knows about this but I haven't seen anyone mention it so here it goes: say I'm on space 1. If i take a window and push it to the right side of my screen it moves it to space 2, along with the window I was taking.
Screenshots attached.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It's a push and hold to get it to move, when i first tried this out i was getting a bit frustrated.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Cool! You can go left and down as well, but so far I've not been able to go up. The menu bar seems to block it.

Edit: Ignore that, you just have to hold it there briefly.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
And Spaces fully supports dual monitors!
Uh...you thought it wouldn't? I personally know more people that use 2 or more monitors on their Mac than those with just one. I use two on both of mine. Everything these days had damn well work with multiple monitors. It's pretty much a given.

I didn't know about this "push and shove" trick, that's neat. I normally click-hold a window, then press Cmd+# to get it to the space I want it to be in. That requires using the keyboard, but it's faster.

hyddan

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2006
\rant -It doesn't remember where you put the windows. You need to do that manually in the spaces preferences.

johny5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2007
UK
I also found this feature by accident :)

tbh when i first started using spaces i was amazed at how nice it was, but now i find myself getting lost in just 4 spaces!?

I think I need to work out an active window to use and then 3 other secondary windows as I use bluephone elite and its on the second window, when i am browsing on the first and someone calls the second window witbluephone in pops up.
I aint complaining, just something u need to get used to or move apps around the windows i guess.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
I also found this feature by accident :)

tbh when i first started using spaces i was amazed at how nice it was, but now i find myself getting lost in just 4 spaces!?

I think I need to work out an active window to use and then 3 other secondary windows as I use bluephone elite and its on the second window, when i am browsing on the first and someone calls the second window witbluephone in pops up.
I aint complaining, just something u need to get used to or move apps around the windows i guess.
I'm pretty sure that you can set certain apps to follow you around as you move through Spaces.

But yeah, the Spaces feature is definitely one of my favorites. I'm the type who has lots of windows open and since most of them float on top of each other, this really helps me keep things organized.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've been playing with Spaces and I think it will be much more useful than I thought at first. Here's something I've not seen mentioned before (apologies if it has): Expose works in the spaces "overview" view!
Try this (with the default settings):
F8 to bring up spaces overview view and then press F9 for the Expose all windows view. Mouse over a few windows and you'll see that it's fully functional.
Looks pretty cool :)

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
I think Spaces is my favorite feature of Leopard! I like having having all the multiple workspaces.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I think Spaces is my favorite feature of Leopard! I like having having all the multiple workspaces.
Same here. I can leave Lightroom and Photoshop running in a second workspace, so I can get to my pics at a moments' notice - and maybe even squeeze in a little editing here and there, as time allows - very cool!! :D

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
desktop Pics

does anyone know if/how you can set different desktop pictures for different spaces ?

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The more I use spaces, the more I absolutely love it!
VMWare Fusion works perfectly with spaces - if put a VM into a spaces window you can switch to full screen and it completely fills the window (as you'd expect), but the cool thing is it plays nicely with spaces and you can then slide it away with a switch to another space. There's something satisfying (if a little childish) about setting it up like this and switching from Windows to OSX with a single key press whilst watching the windows screen slide away to be replaced by OSX goodness :)

russell.h

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2007
I'm loving spaces more than any other leopard feature. As a long time Linux user this was one thing I always missed on my Mac. And Spaces, while not nearly as configurable as Gnome's workspaces, is much more user friendly and still pretty dang nice.

So my question, how can I make the finder work in any space? I'm trying to add it to the list of programs (since "Every Space" is one of the options you can select for specific programs), but I can't actually find the Finder (like Finder.app or whatever it will be) anywhere

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.