Spaces feature!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by anjinha, Oct 26, 2007.

1. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't know if anyone knows about this but I haven't seen anyone mention it so here it goes: say I'm on space 1. If i take a window and push it to the right side of my screen it moves it to space 2, along with the window I was taking.
    Screenshots attached.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It's a push and hold to get it to move, when i first tried this out i was getting a bit frustrated.

3. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Cool! You can go left and down as well, but so far I've not been able to go up. The menu bar seems to block it.

Edit: Ignore that, you just have to hold it there briefly.

4. anjinha thread starter macrumors 604

anjinha

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

6. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

7. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Uh...you thought it wouldn't? I personally know more people that use 2 or more monitors on their Mac than those with just one. I use two on both of mine. Everything these days had damn well work with multiple monitors. It's pretty much a given.

I didn't know about this "push and shove" trick, that's neat. I normally click-hold a window, then press Cmd+# to get it to the space I want it to be in. That requires using the keyboard, but it's faster.

8. hyddan macrumors member

\rant -It doesn't remember where you put the windows. You need to do that manually in the spaces preferences.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Very nice! I was dragging the window and then hitting Ctrl+arrow to move it before but this is a lot easier.

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I also found this feature by accident :)

tbh when i first started using spaces i was amazed at how nice it was, but now i find myself getting lost in just 4 spaces!?

I think I need to work out an active window to use and then 3 other secondary windows as I use bluephone elite and its on the second window, when i am browsing on the first and someone calls the second window witbluephone in pops up.
    I aint complaining, just something u need to get used to or move apps around the windows i guess.

11. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'm pretty sure that you can set certain apps to follow you around as you move through Spaces.

But yeah, the Spaces feature is definitely one of my favorites. I'm the type who has lots of windows open and since most of them float on top of each other, this really helps me keep things organized.

12. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

wow, if you can that would be cool!

13. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Now if only i could hold my mouse to the side and move to another space.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

it would be really nice to have granted but woldn't this interfere with dock hiding.

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I've been playing with Spaces and I think it will be much more useful than I thought at first. Here's something I've not seen mentioned before (apologies if it has): Expose works in the spaces "overview" view!
    Try this (with the default settings):
    F8 to bring up spaces overview view and then press F9 for the Expose all windows view. Mouse over a few windows and you'll see that it's fully functional.
    Looks pretty cool :)

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

You can set Hot Corners, which is close.

18. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

How about dragging a box and holding it to the side? that would be good!

19. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

I think Spaces is my favorite feature of Leopard! I like having having all the multiple workspaces.

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. I can leave Lightroom and Photoshop running in a second workspace, so I can get to my pics at a moments' notice - and maybe even squeeze in a little editing here and there, as time allows - very cool!! :D

21. arkmannj macrumors 65816

arkmannj

desktop Pics

does anyone know if/how you can set different desktop pictures for different spaces ?

22. cuanurse macrumors regular

Pretty cool- thanks for verifying. I couldn't get it to work at first :)

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

WEll he dragging to the side works in Linux so I thought I'd try it yesterday. And what do you know it works!

24. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The more I use spaces, the more I absolutely love it!
    VMWare Fusion works perfectly with spaces - if put a VM into a spaces window you can switch to full screen and it completely fills the window (as you'd expect), but the cool thing is it plays nicely with spaces and you can then slide it away with a switch to another space. There's something satisfying (if a little childish) about setting it up like this and switching from Windows to OSX with a single key press whilst watching the windows screen slide away to be replaced by OSX goodness :)

25. russell.h macrumors regular

I'm loving spaces more than any other leopard feature. As a long time Linux user this was one thing I always missed on my Mac. And Spaces, while not nearly as configurable as Gnome's workspaces, is much more user friendly and still pretty dang nice.

So my question, how can I make the finder work in any space? I'm trying to add it to the list of programs (since "Every Space" is one of the options you can select for specific programs), but I can't actually find the Finder (like Finder.app or whatever it will be) anywhere