Spaces on iPod Touch concept

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by harry20larry, Dec 22, 2008.

1. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

spaces would be a great idea.
    I could imagin it it, three fingers held down on screen for 2 seconds and you get this (sorry about crappy animation):
    [​IMG]

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

not a bad idea at all. more convienent than always flipping to say the 9th page lol

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except could you really tell what apps were where with nine "screens" on the iPhone/iPod touch screen?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont see how that would be an issue, esp if you organize the apps per page like games on one, utilities on another, etc

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Awesome!

And the shrunken apps are still sorta visible.

Or even name each page.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This is a pretty neat concept, but we'd still be limited to nine screens. I think folders, stacks, or even menu lists would be a lot better, as they would allow unlimited numbers of apps, to be organized however the user wants them.

7. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

good idea , maybe it would be more logical to only insert 4 windows instead of 9 so that you can more easily recognize what is on the screen. Great concept that if you think about it. An app. i am sure could be made, only to wonder if apple would ever allow something like this.

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

You should send your idea to Steve Jobs email address and hope that he likes your idea and puts it to use in some way. :cool:

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

op, better patent it and then sue apple for stealing said idea lol

10. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

11. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

New Concept

Made a new concept to forfill some peoples complaints, what to do you think (again, sorry for the crappy animation):

[​IMG]

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure what this newest version does -- it brings up a list of all installed apps? Which presumably is unlimited in number? But if so, what do we need all the pages for?

13. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

yer

yer, it brings up a list for the user to scroll through.
    If you read the thread, people complain about how they are "only" limited to 9 pages of apps, and how time consuming it is flicking through those pages and finding the app they need. This is kind of a concept to solving those problems.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I understand. But what I'm asking is, why have *both* a scrollable list of apps and a mulit-page view? One or the other would do the job, I don't see why we would need or want both.

15. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

?

I dunno, some people prefer visual representation, some linear, It has been a critical apple design method throughout all their software, having that choice. For example, everybody knows that browsing your file in finder is more efficient when having the sections:
    [​IMG]

However, some people just prefer visually the coverflow version:
    [​IMG]

Same for browsing music on your ipod touch/iphone

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Gotcha. So the problem with your latest concept, IMO, is it conflates both the visual and linear representation into a hybrid system. I like linear representation better, so I'm annoyed that I can't go straight to the linear representation without first going through the visual represenation (the multi-page view).

17. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Isn't Steve Jobs email address sjobs@apple.com :confused:

18. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

so...

So a solution to that problem could be keeping the visual 9 page view, and making the linear representation an icon on the home screen, however, when think about it, you only taking a touch out of the equation (+ you might not have the apps linear icon on your dock, meaning you'll have to find it)

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'd make it configurable by the user whether a three-finger tap brings up the multi-page view or the linear view.

20. harry20larry thread starter macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

ahhh

ahhh, but then you are adding complexity and customization into the equation, which is very unlike apple, my prood, still no sms forwarding, this could be as simple as tapping the speech bubble

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First, who says we have to imitate Apple? ;)

And if you're going for simplicity, your original concept was very simple and elegant. Adding the list view makes it, IMO, complicated and clunky. While I do want a solution that allows for more than nine pages of apps, if we are stuck with nine pages, then I'd love it if Apple implemented your original concept. And I'd look elsewhere for solutions that allowed more than nine pages of apps.

22. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

well as someone said that would limit us to 9 pages, but apple allready does limit us to nine pages.

23. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

stop saying sorry for the crappy animation, it's pretty sweet...i like the idea! if this were to go through i'd rather have Apple do it through a Sofware Update than a third party create it.

24. Walt DI macrumors member

25. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

Instead of the spaces how about tillt the ipod side ways and it goes to an app menu with of course a coverflow option showing the app icons and a search feature which would be great for those who have lots of apps.