Spaces option gone in Lion GM (11A511)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by L14M333, Jul 12, 2011.

1. L14M333 macrumors member

Hello,

I'm not sure if its been posted before but i'm running the GM of OS X Lion and i wanted to set up spaces on my mac.. I knew that Expose and Spaces have been merged into Mission Control however once I loaded up the settings, the option to set up new spaces is nowhere to be seen :eek:

[​IMG]

There are some options but I can't find out how I can add new spaces :confused:

I presume its either gone or been moved but digging around I can't find it anywhere... Does anyone know where/how to set them up in Lion?

Thanks

Liam

2. simsaladimbamba

Spaces is gone, there are numerous threads about this.
    To get a new Space, now called "Desktop", just activate Mission Control and look on the top right for an icon with a "+".

3. L14M333 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that! sorry I didn't look hard enough, I guess someone can close the thread if they see it.

Liam

4. MacRumoren macrumors member

Is there a keyboard shortcut for creating a new "Mission Control" desktop?

Ideally Apple should have allow us to assign specific shortcuts to jump directly to other mission control desktops?

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

No, but when you are in Mission control you can just drag an application's windows to the top to create a desktop.
    You can enable this in Keyboard shortcuts.

6. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I'm glad to see the old spaces go. It could be very funny sometimes and got a bit messy. From what I have seen I really like the new linear design of spaces. Makes more sense and looks better. Plus you can swipe between them.

Now to be fair, I don't have lion. So I really have had no time with the new design.

7. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

yeah it's very fast and productive swiping linearly from space 3 to space 9, my boss will love the fact that i get RSI from doing that all day long :)

8. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

Haha. Good Point, but if you needed to get to iTunes which is on, say, page 6. Just click itunes in the dock or use Command Tab.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well not that i use iTunes much at work, but for me it's killing my workflow, right clicking safari, trying to guess which of the 12 items in the list is the window i want, have it switch to that desktop, grumble because it is the wrong one.

or fire up mission control and try to find one window in that clutter of 12 stacked safari windows, not to mention that it won't show separate tabs in windows on the bottom of the stack.

app expose helps a little there but for some reason it always slides between desktops after ending expose again.

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Can someone clarify this.....in the GM, how do you assign apps to open in there individual spaces now? I thought someone said you right click on the dock icon and choose "Options" and assign it to the space you are in. That seems a little clunky to me to setup.

Right now in SL, I have apps assigned to spaces....so I know, Mail always opens in space 5, and iTunes in space 8. Can I still do this in Lion?

-Kevin

11. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Yes, it works exactly as you've said.

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the reply.

-Kevin

13. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

It's easier to create spaces in Lion, just clunkier to assign apps to open in spaces.

14. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I still hate that the old Spaces is gone, but I've found a method with the new Mission Control that is at least similar to how I use Spaces currently in SL.

So I'll likely be buying it when it's released.

15. Gofre macrumors regular

Is any of the functionality of the old Spaces still intact? I currently cycle through Spaces using Alt and direction keys, are there any similar keyboard shortcuts or do I have do go into MC and click on the space I want?

16. 1TallTXn macrumors newbie

CTRL+Arrow keys slides you through your open Spaces and Dashboard (if selected to behave as a Space in Mission Control)

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

If you only use 2 or 4 Spaces, that's not a bad solution...I have 9 :)

So I'm constantly hitting my click wheel button (assigned to F8) to zoom me out to my Spaces grid and I select the space I need from there.

Well, it looks like I can essentially do the same thing in Lion, just that all 9 spaces are now at the top of the screen.

You can also still lock an app to a particular space, which was an option I thought they removed, but they just moved it out to the Dock.

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I do exactly like you....I have 8 spaces and use the lower left hot corner in SL to show spaces....then I can click to go to a space.

The only thing I've seen with Lion so far is.....while in Mission Control....clicking on a space at the top doesn't take you to the space....it SHOWS you the space in Mission Control. I think you have to click in the space again to move to it.

I don't have Lion, but looking at this video (yes I know it's an older preview of Lion) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSL1kkOy4G4&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

It looks like clicking on the spaces at the top, slides that space into view within Mission Control. Then you have to click on the slid-in view to go to the space.

-Kevin

19. Dorv macrumors regular

But all of the annoy things that now "Resume," these Space assignments don't seem to carry over.

20. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Are you saying when you assign an app to a space.....it doesn't "stick"? If you reboot or close the app it defaults back?

-Kevin

21. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

That would suck incredibly hard...but I thought when you set the lock per-app in the Dock menu, it was for every time you rebooted...

I'd have to reboot to get back into Lion, so I can't do it right now.

I hadn't checked this yet, but is there a way to rename the spaces to something other than "Desktop 1, Desktop 2" etc?

22. ixthy macrumors newbie

Lion is crap!!! I can't imagine what Apple engineers were thinking! I tested some Lion previews and I couldn't work as fast as I can with SL. Spaces can't be moved, open windows can't be moved between spaces directly, there are no expose labels underneath the open windows, open windows can't be seen in the new expose, useful OS apps are missing (are they gonna be replaced???), full screen app implementation is awful for at least 2 reasons (read other threads about that), while is debatable whether some new features like resume, autosave, versions etc, are really so important or useful. I'm not saying that all of these are not good, but I don't like watching my favorite OS to miss some of its key features.

Rosetta is also missing, and somewhere I saw some complaints about applescript, while serious bugs are still present (that is the cause of the delay). Is Lion Apple's Vista???

23. jschmitt macrumors member

jschmitt

Lazy, lazy, lazy to try to compare Vista to Lion; this conversation thread is tired already! Each of the last three times Apple has put out a new "big cat", certain Apple users have cried that the sky was falling on top of them for one reason or another. Did anyone really expect Rosetta to stick around forever? There's a reason why app developers have been quietly removing non-intel support from their programs for the last 24 months. The number of these apps is getting smaller all the time.

There are still bugs in SL, there are bugs in 10.7.0, there will be bugs when we get to 10.7.8; we're all here because we like living on the bleeding edge, stop being afraid of the changes in OS X Lion.

BTW, most of Vista's issues were a matter of poor perception and slow adoption by the masses! Lion WILL BE the FASTEST, most INSTALLED version of OS X to date. And to think, 2 years from now the same people will be begging for the stability of Lion when the next cat arrives on the scene!

John

24. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So to get back on topic.....can anyone confirm whether assigning an app to a space "sticks" when you quit the app or reboot the machine?

-Kevin