Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaces

• Gimmick

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Useful

Votes: 55 83.3%

• Total voters

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
To the people who have previewed Leopard; How do you fell about spaces.

I for one LOVE it in conjunction with a multi-button mouse!

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
I cant live without it, work (in parallels) goes on one desktop, Macrumors and fun surfing on another and web work on another. Its the only way to sort and separate what I'm working on for me.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
my biggest concern is: is it going to be a memory hog? people are going to have more programs running if they have multiple desktops...

Memory usage is the last thing on my mind. I have 2gb, filling it up is hard as it is. The spaces are gonna make my workflow much easier and better.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
It is far superior to virtual desktops on Tiger. Definitely improves my workflow, I was working on three separate reports without a hitch. I don't think I've minimized a window since Leopard.

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
There ya have it. A huge keyword there: workflow. Thats one of the things that separates the OS X operating system from Winblows. Excuse me, Windows. And not just Spaces, many parts of the OS X gui.

W O R K F L O W <-- todays word. :apple:

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
To the people who have previewed Leopard; How do you fell about spaces.

I for one LOVE it in conjunction with a multi-button mouse!

I've been using third-party VDMs of one sort or another for years - both on the Mac and other platforms. It's good to see something this well integrated with OS X and it's going to be as invaluable as Expose IMHO.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I think I'll find it useless as a Quicksilver addict...but many people have said they love it from the dev. builds...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It is far superior to virtual desktops on Tiger. Definitely improves my workflow, I was working on three separate reports without a hitch. I don't think I've minimized a window since Leopard.

Can you elaborate on what makes it so much more effective for you than other virtual desktop implementations, please? :) I'm curious, because at first, I think that I've used virtual desktops here and there (CDE, Solaris, Linux, OS X, etc) and after a while got tired of them. I honestly used the one available for Panther and Tiger primarily because the cube effect was hawt. :eek:

But so are there particular things about the way Spaces does it that make it so much better?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
People have used virtual desktops on OS X for a long time!
:rolleyes:

(as you know) I was referring to built into the OS,

but every virtual desktop app I have used on OS X has sucked. Virtue desktop was the best, and it is very buggy!

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I have been running Leopard on my dev box full time for over a month and I gotta say, I haven't used spaces once.

I played around with them ... but thats all.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I've found that I can't live without VirtueDesktops. I use it 1 row x 6 columns, and use a different app in each desktop, flipping with the Cube. I agree with mkrishnan; it's sick as hell. I don't see how Spaces can be any better, period. It's a program that is invaluable to my workflow.

Every time someone sees me flipping through desktops with the cube action, they comment on how sick it looks, ask how they can get their computer to do that, etc.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i haven't "previewed" leopard, but i think spaces has the potential to be more frequently used than exposé. the idea of having certain apps tied to a virtual desktop appeals to the neat freak inside. :eek:

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
I use exposé almost religiously. I find myself hitting the keys for it when running Windows in fact. I can only imagine that I'll be using spaces even more when I get Leopard.

onebloodonelife

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I've used Virtue Desktops for quite a while now, and I can't do without it. I have Safari in one window, Adium in another, iTunes in another, and if I'm working on a paper, Pages is up in another. I can't wait to see how Spaces works either.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I like Al Gore's version of Spaces better:

gore_trio.jpg

Too bad I can't afford three 30" displays. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.