Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's not a perfect solution, but under Settings > Phone, you can toggle "Silence Unknown Callers" and you're basically done. Your Contacts app basically becomes a whitelist, and anyone else goes to voicemail.

Obviously a super blunt instrument, but anyone legit who isn't in my contacts already will leave a VM and I can call them back. I could see this being non-workable for people who get a lot of legit calls from unknown numbers, though.

I looked at a few of the third-party robocall apps like Robokiller, but some of them (at least when I checked) wanted me to upload my whole address book, which was a non-starter.

I also run the Verizon free anti-spam app. I think it's helping? Hard to say since I don't know about calls I'm not getting.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Have you tried any of the call blocker/spam call alert apps? I’ve been using hiya and it works good enough. If it tags an incoming call as spam I just let it go. I’m using the free version.

Yes. I used Robokiller and I would advise you to carefully follow any instructions for removal if you ever stop using one. I just cancelled the subscription and deleted the app, which was a mistake. I then had a problem where some (but not all) of my calls would go straight to voicemail (including from known contacts). Turns out there was a redirect on my phone number because I didn't do the proper removal steps.

Reactions: cbreze
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.