Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
How does everyone deal with the ever increasing spam calls? I have an iPhone 7 as well as an android pixel2 and I do believe the pixel handles them much better. I feel like I’m missing some simple solution on the iPhone tho. I have the HiYa app on the phone but it does not seem to do anything as it never catches anything. On the pixel it works great. I’m on Verizon and have not tried their new caller ID app yet as reviewers have really panned it. But maybe I should take a look. The pixels call screening option is awesome and works perfectly and I never need worry I’m missing a real call. On the IPhone I can block incoming numbers but not before they bother me. What’s everyone doing to handle spam calls?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
How does everyone deal with the ever increasing spam calls? I have an iPhone 7 as well as an android pixel2 and I do believe the pixel handles them much better. I feel like I’m missing some simple solution on the iPhone tho. I have the HiYa app on the phone but it does not seem to do anything as it never catches anything. On the pixel it works great. I’m on Verizon and have not tried their new caller ID app yet as reviewers have really panned it. But maybe I should take a look. The pixels call screening option is awesome and works perfectly and I never need worry I’m missing a real call. On the IPhone I can block incoming numbers but not before they bother me. What’s everyone doing to handle spam calls?

Verizon should have an app that will help and there are several in the App store. I am with AT&T and they have "Call Protect". I use it and it has greatly cut down on these robo calls.

Our government (FCC) is supposed to be giving the carriers permissions to get more aggressive at stopping these calls at the source. I have little faith in that, just like the do not call list!

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I use the Verizon app and have had excellent results. It doesn’t eliminate all spam/robo calls but I’d say it reduced mine by 90/95%
That sounds pretty good. I’ve heard some other people on other forums say that sometimes it blocks a real call that you want from coming through. Have you ever had that happen? I see on the App Store only has a 1.8 stars rating. I generally take ratings with a grain of salt, but still?
[doublepost=1558031744][/doublepost]Tried the app and it will not let me start the full trial which is apparently the only option. It says it fails to authorize and I should call customer service which I’m not gonna wait in line to do that. No wonder the ratings are so low. What a shame

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a blocked caller contact with a silent ringtone. Spam calls are added to that. Unless you are in my contact list I never answer.

The blocked caller contact is set to block in iOS. Additionally, I am jail broken so all numbers in that contact are added to iBlacklist. iBlacklist is set to answer and hangup, which it does instantaneously so spam callers can never leave VM. They don't get past the first ring.

Works fairly well for me.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I use the Verizon call filter app. You register for the free tier on the VZW app or website and then download the call filter app. It does work. Cuts my spam calls by a noticeable improvement.

I also signed up for the free call filter option, but I never downloaded the app. The phone still tells me if a call is a potential spam, so I guess the app is not necessary, or am I missing anything?

Reactions: I7guy

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Hmmm... using Hiya, carrier is ATT, and phone is practically silent.

Also doing the silent ringtone trick, except it's the default. Family and friends get a ringtone assigned to their contacts.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I also signed up for the free call filter option, but I never downloaded the app. The phone still tells me if a call is a potential spam, so I guess the app is not necessary, or am I missing anything?
Good question. Maybe download the app and follow the instructions and see if there is any additional information. Never thought of not downloading the app.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
That sounds pretty good. I’ve heard some other people on other forums say that sometimes it blocks a real call that you want from coming through. Have you ever had that happen? I see on the App Store only has a 1.8 stars rating. I generally take ratings with a grain of salt, but still?
[doublepost=1558031744][/doublepost]Tried the app and it will not let me start the full trial which is apparently the only option. It says it fails to authorize and I should call customer service which I’m not gonna wait in line to do that. No wonder the ratings are so low. What a shame
If I remember correctly, I had trouble setting it up too. I think I went to my Verizon website and logged into my account, then went to the section with all the listed all the features you can add to your account and in there you can turn it on (free version) then it worked properly.. Oops, I didn’t see I7guys response before I replied... Hope you get it sorted out..

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How does everyone deal with the ever increasing spam calls?

For me? I sometimes answer them if I can, and I just screw with them on the phone, making them believe that they literally ‘have me’ (Which they never will), which they would rather just have you hang up the phone on them, and they hate it when you stay on the phone and mess with them. Now, I realize my method is not for everyone else to try and I don’t condone it, but my motto is, ‘If you’re going to waste my time, I’m going to waste yours’.

[On the realistic side of things, scam calls are too diverse today, there’s so many ways they can obtain your number and bypass ‘the system’ where they bother you throughout your day. It’s the carriers that need to make the changes to thwart scam calls to the consumer, they’ll never be fully stopped, because it’s so dynamic, but they can implement ‘stop gaps’.]

Reactions: timeconsumer

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I will say it’s slowed down somewhat.
I use the call block feature extensively after getting spam/unwanted calls.
I also use the AT&T Call Protect app.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
You should NEVER answer these calls. If you do they will continue and even get worst. If left un-answered, sooner or later your number will be removed from the spammers list.

I think the issue is when the callers are spoofing numbers you know so would naturally answer them.
Up this way some of the numbers they are spoofing include SS, local police, and state police.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the issue is when the callers are spoofing numbers you know so would naturally answer them.
Up this way some of the numbers they are spoofing include SS, local police, and state police.

I have seen POLICE show up along with my favorite, numbers starting with my 3 digit prefix.

I do not answer any of them. If you choose to call back you will be talking to someone who's number was simply "used" and they will not know anything.

I use the free Call Protect from AT&T and it works good. No need to pay them for enhanced caller ID as the number is spoofed anyway.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Verizon and the WideProtect App. App lets you block entire area codes or parts of it.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Still trying to get this set up with Verizon. I went to my Verizon site account and found the option to turn it on but it just continues to say fail and then I need to call In. So when I have some more time I’ll do that I guess. No idea what the problem is.
I also never answer the spam calls, terrible idea. The ones I answer accidentally thinking it’s someone I need to talk to are always Robo anyway and not a real person

Reactions: Newtons Apple

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Still trying to get this set up with Verizon. I went to my Verizon site account and found the option to turn it on but it just continues to say fail and then I need to call In. So when I have some more time I’ll do that I guess. No idea what the problem is.
I also never answer the spam calls, terrible idea. The ones I answer accidentally thinking it’s someone I need to talk to are always Robo anyway and not a real person
What says fail?

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
What says fail?
IMG_20190517_111154.jpg

Apparently I need a pin number to talk to CS. Not sure what that is as I never needed them before. So this might be a pointless pursuit anyway.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Please, read this thread.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
bumping this thread...

I use Redpocket prepaid, I'm guessing these prepaid carriers don't do anything to stop spam hence the low price.

This is annoying for certain.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Have you tried any of the call blocker/spam call alert apps? I’ve been using hiya and it works good enough. If it tags an incoming call as spam I just let it go. I’m using the free version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.