Sparrow for iPhone is out!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by pbkiller, Mar 14, 2012.

1. pbkiller macrumors regular

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I read that. I'd really like to see a video review before purchasing and sending my Mail app to folder purgatory.

3. pbkiller thread starter macrumors regular

Me too... Multiple Signatures PLEASE COME!!!!!!

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've got it on my iPhone.

The UI is nice, but I just don't see myself using this over the default mail client permanently. The lack of push notifications is also another big turn off.

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

6. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I am disappointed with the lack of push notifications. But I am willing to deal with it due to the gorgeous interface. I am sure it is only a matter of time as to when push will be included.

7. CecilHartlely macrumors newbie

The UI is nice, but I just don't see myself using this over the default mail client permanently

8. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

I was so excited about this until I heard about the lack of push. Developers should know it is mandatory for any email/ messaging app.

9. kicko macrumors 65816

It had push in beta but Apple made them remove it because it used an API that was geared more for an VOIP or instant messenger NOT an email app. Shame Apple is so strict on good apps like this.

10. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Boom.

11. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm sure they will make enough money to build a notification server. Downloading now!

12. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

They cited security concerns, not financial concerns with regards to a push notification server.

13. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah but I think with enough money they will be able to build a secure infrastructure to alleviate those concerns.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Until you get people like Anonymous and LulzSec.

15. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

It's not about money or secure infrastructure. It's a fundamental concern with routing all your e-mail via a 3rd party.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

To be fair, the push thing is about money. Yes, they have security concerns, which means they're being sensible and that's a very good thing, but if they had more money they could hire security experts to help build the push system then do penetration testing on it after. They could get that thing solid and have a security guy or two on their payroll to keep it like that in the future. But, they're a small startup, so it's not feasible.

I don't use push e-mail myself anyway so I honestly don't care, nor am I slagging off Sparrow for being concerned with security - believe me, I'm very glad that more companies are finally starting to take it seriously - but at the end of the day, it is indeed a money issue.

17. skillz1318 macrumors regular

Been using sparrow for a few hours now and love the app. I thought I would miss push notifications, but I really don't. It's not like a phone call or text message that requires my immediate attention. Similar to physical mail at home, when I want to check the mail I go to my mailbox (sparrow in this case) and see if I have anything new. The interface is a much welcome improvement and I love the ability to add attachments from inside a message. Easily worth $3 in my opinion and glad I made the switch!

Note: When you launch the app it auto checks for mail so you don't have to pull down to refresh to see new mail after the app loads, only if you are in the app already and want to manually refresh.

18. withoutyou macrumors newbie

withoutyou

Bought and been using it for a couple days.
    UI is great. It would be better if it offered push notifications.

Anyway, Sparrow+Boxcar for now.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Thanks!

Really disappointed to find out that Apple doesn't have a public API for interval checking other than VOiP (which they rejected this app for using). It would help Mail, RSS readers, and others types of apps and not suck much battery.

I simply can't use this app in it's current state. Sad. ... and no, Boxcar is not a useful enough alternative for me.

20. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

Even though I knew it lacked push, I took a gamble on the app. The UI, interface trumps all and I love using the app for reading emails and text messages from google. For now i'm using the mail.app to push notification to me. It's a clunky workaround but what can you do.

21. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Don't really mind the no-push problem at the moment, but really bummed out that there is no Hotmail support as well.

Guess I have to only use iCloud for now. :|

22. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

So those who use this app, how do you get rid of the default IOS mail?
    Do I have to delete my accounts in it, so I am not having it check my email (as I'm now using Sparrow to do this?_)

23. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I just went into the mail settings and didn't delete the account but turned off the "mail" options but kept contacts and calendar options on.

24. skillz1318 macrumors regular

I just turned off push and set fetch to manual. Then if I click a link to email from safari it will have all my accounts to decide where to send from.

25. adamtheturtle macrumors member

For everyone wanting push, the Sparrow team is asking that you sign a petition here to Apple to allow them to use the VoIP API.