Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tommot82

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
its a beautiful app but until apple helps them allow push it's not going to replace the default mail client unfortunately.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I suppose for now since you can't remove the default mail app anyways why not just keep it on for notifications and then open sparrow. Thats works a lot easier then configuring with boxcar.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
For everyone wanting push, the Sparrow team is asking that you sign a petition here to Apple to allow them to use the VoIP API.

Yeah, I am sure "the petition" will make Apple change their policy </sarcasm>.
They don't even allow IM apps to utilize VoIP API.. there is a fat chance they are going to make exceptions for e-mail clients!

Sparrow team really needs to stop whining about this, and start thinking of how to make push work within the constraints of Apple policies. Sure, maintaining servers for Push takes up resources, which adds costs. However, Sparrow could simply make Push an optional $4.99 in-app purchase, for those who must have it. I would be all over that.

I suppose for now since you can't remove the default mail app anyways why not just keep it on for notifications and then open sparrow. Thats works a lot easier then configuring with boxcar.

I agree, Boxcar thing is a terrible kludge.. The problem with keeping native notifications is that you don't have any way to get badge counters.. So if you're away from your phone and missed a Notification Center banner - you have no way of knowing you have new email.. Far from ideal.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, I am sure "the petition" will make Apple change their policy </sarcasm>.
They don't even allow IM apps to utilize VoIP API.. there is a fat chance they are going to make exceptions for e-mail clients!

Its not just the cost of servers, but the security issues of needing to keep your password on file.

Apple have changed many policies based on developer annoyance. For example you can now export to iOS from non-XCode projects.

Fortunately Sparrow Push works as a great add-on from Cydia if you're Jailbroken.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I agree, Boxcar thing is a terrible kludge.. The problem with keeping native notifications is that you don't have any way to get badge counters.. So if you're away from your phone and missed a Notification Center banner - you have no way of knowing you have new email.. Far from ideal.

you can always pull the notification center down when in doubt :D

I wonder if sparrow can add something that will allow the use of VOIP API just for the sake of push even if the VOIP portion is semi useless

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
you can always pull the notification center down when in doubt :D

And I can always just load up my e-mail client to see if I have any new e-mails.. Sort of defeats the idea of immediately visible push notifications, doesn't it? ;)

I wonder if sparrow can add something that will allow the use of VOIP API just for the sake of push even if the VOIP portion is semi useless

They can't. They already tried to leverage VoIP API to keep the background socket open. Apple rejected them, as VoIP API is meant for VoIP.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
And I can always just load up my e-mail client to see if I have any new e-mails.. Sort of defeats the idea of immediately visible push notifications, doesn't it? ;)

They can't. They already tried to leverage VoIP API to keep the background socket open. Apple rejected them, as VoIP API is meant for VoIP.

I know it was rejected for such a reason but i was wondering if more could be added to workaround.

Mitsuko

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
it seems to be a decent app. So pity that Apple restrict it with something stupid.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.