Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that Spatial Personas are now available for all Vision Pro users in a public beta.

Spatial-Persona-Apple.jpg

Apple previewed Spatial Personas at WWDC last year. Unlike the existing Personas feature, which is confined to a tile and facial expressions only, Spatial Personas allow Vision Pro users to "break out of the familiar FaceTime tile and feel more present, like they are gathered in the same physical space." They feature a transparent background and are able to show body language and additional movement such as hand gestures for a more lifelike experience.

Spatial Personas are independent of a visionOS software update or beta, but require visionOS 1.1 or later. The feature is available during FaceTime calls and supports up to five participants at once. Inverse and Road to VR today shared first impressions of the new feature.

Article Link: Spatial Personas Coming to Apple Vision Pro in Beta Today

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Not Apple giving the people what we want…YES, PLZ!

“When it comes to shared movie viewing on Apple TV on Vision Pro, Spatial Personas unlock the feeling of sitting on the same couch together, which wasn’t quite possible with the headset at launch. Now when you watch a movie with your friends you’ll be sitting shoulder to shoulder with them, which feels very different than having a window with their face in it floating near the video you’re watching.”

Haiku_Oezu

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2016
Interesting, they’re definitely going for a less game-y approach than Meta with positions being preset and controlled directly by the application but I think it works with the kind of “all business” vibe they got going on

Personally I’ll never use personas, just like I never used video chat, but it’s nice that they’re making use of the hardware instead of just having a flat fake webcam feed
It’s probably gonna make the hologram effect feel less weird when the whole projection lives in a 3D space

Reactions: xander49x

ryanmp

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Interesting, they’re definitely going for a less game-y approach than Meta with positions being preset and controlled directly by the application but I think it works with the kind of “all business” vibe they got going on

Personally I’ll never use personas, just like I never used video chat, but it’s nice that they’re making use of the hardware instead of just having a flat fake webcam feed
It’s probably gonna make the hologram effect feel less weird when the whole projection lives in a 3D space
I think these types of spatial personas are exactly what we need. I’m sure it will take some to refine but at least we won’t end up with the Meta version….

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    607.3 KB · Views: 276

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Hand gestures will make it better. I imagine the Apple Pencil compatible with Vision Pro could appear in the hand.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
A nice first step. Imagine version 5 or 10. Imagine you and a college buddy or three now living far away from each other wishing you could all get back together for the big game at the old alma mater but none of you can due to <reasons- cost/job/fam/etc- that commonly override such opportunities>. Imagine a NCAA VR service that can gather you and such friends in the stadium seats just like this is trying to make shared movie watching possible. Friend #2 lives on the East Coast. Friend #3 lives on the West Coast. Friend #4 is currently in Tokyo. Friend #5 will be flying at 37K feet during the big game but have sufficient wifi to "attend" too. Up to all 5 of you can get together to sort of be "there" exactly as this story is talking about gathering together on the same sofa to watch a movie.

Yes, that can't compete with you and your buddies all jumping on planes, flying back to college town, paying for lodging, paying up for tickets to the big game, paying for food & transport, etc. On the other hand, it would be a superior experience to each of you watching on a television (if the local television can even get that same game for the 5 of you) and having some kind of conference call or Zoom/FaceTime (on phones) experience.

This very same idea of remote friends gathering together for a movie easily extrapolates to gathering together anywhere for the big game, for the concert, for the Olympics, for Broadway shows, etc. Why would those venues & teams/performers be interested? Make more money than they can get by only selling the hard-capped quantity of seats available at the actual venue. Why would Apple be interested? Besides a tangible reason to own Vpro, they take their commission off such transactions. Why are customers interested? The experience is more like gathering together THERE than possible now... other than actually traveling "there."

Lastly the same virtual seats could be sold to thousands or millions of virtual attendees... so a volume-based pricing play could make it possible to sell such seats at PPV-like levels but deliver an experience a bit more "there" than existing PPV. If you want to make the high price of Vpro not seem so high, compare it plus whatever you can imagine as the price of a VR seat/season vs. the reality of courtside seats in person. For example, here's pricing for ONE seat to ONE game, courtside for my local NBA team...

full

$3500-$4K for a Vpro plus the cost to virtually sit about there vs. $43,350 to actually sit there casts Vpro pricing in a very different light. Now work that math to attend 2 games, 3 games, 5 games, 10... noting that after the first one, you can reuse the same Vpro hardware, so subtract the $3500 outlay portion beginning with game #2.

CERTAINLY there would be a much enhanced experience by actually being in that seat at the game (for $43K). And yes, the other option is to watch the same game through a 2D Window called a television for towards "free*" But, for those interested in something in between- and maybe buying a few VR seats so that they can attend with distant friends as described in this story- $3500 is a LOT less than $43K. Is that ticket price an anomaly? No. You might recall that the very worst seats at the Superbowl were selling for $9K. $9K is a LOT more than $3500 too.

As it seems inevitable to eventually be tangible offerings, I look forward to the launch of VR seat/season packages in NFL ST VR, NCAA VR, NBA VR, MLB VR, NHL VR, MLS VR, Nascar VR, WWE VR, Olympics VR, etc... and broadway shows... and concerts around the world, etc. Will it still make sense to watch on TV too? Of course, when friends are over, gather around the set in the traditional way. Will it still make sense to pay up to be there in person? Yes, because that is the maximum experience. As another kind of viewing option, can this fit in between those two when the situation makes sense? Why not? Bring it on!

Last edited:

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Looks a bit spooky/creepy - but making the Vision Pro experience more interpersonal is key to the long-term success I think. Otherwise it's just about people sat isolated with a headset on (evern if other people are in the room).
I don’t know, “people sat isolated” “even if other people are in the room” quite well describes the cellular phone phenomena. Especially since the person inside can see out. The big difference is that they can ignore folks while staring at one rectangle in their hand or many around their head.

Reactions: subjonas

JordanCautious

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2023
I want to see UploadVR take a look at this. I wonder what they think about it. Though, I just looked it up and it seems they beat me to it already lol

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Looks… OK. Not great, but OK.

I wonder if the hands are real (unlike the face)? The cameras just might be at the right angle to pick those up?
They take a picture of the hands during Persona setup, so they’re just using those images wrapped around a hand shaped rig.

Reactions: retroneo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.