Speaker Choice

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mep42, Dec 2, 2009.

1. mep42 macrumors member

I have been looking through the forum for a while and thought that I had decided on the Swan M-10's, but now have read from some posts that they are kind of cheap, don't have a great bass, and are muddy:confused:. I will just inform everyone that I am the kind of person who likes a good strong bass, more than average, but I am not the person who will shake the whole parking lot with music from my car. One of my friends recently got the Bose Companion 3's and they sound pretty darn good but for $250:eek::eek: Is that what its going to take to get great speakers? I am in a dorm room, so something that would be mildly compact would be nice. Does anyone have any input or other speakers for me to consider.

Thanks for all of the help in advance.

Mark

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I will say this: there is one poster (on these forums) to my knowledge that has made these claims. The rest of the comments regarding the Swans sound quality seem overly positive. I will be the first one to tell you that the bass on the Swans is often not as powerful/what people are looking for; however, many find it enjoyable. Others can post on here and I'm sure they will, but if your budget is at $100 - finding a better system to provide clear audio is going to be hard.

As to the comments of the quality of the product unrelated to sound, a few users have noted problems with units, but it seems no more then the norm. My Swans sound better then the day I go them a couple of months ago and have satisfied my wants in a speaker system. I recently tested the new Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's (the 2.1 I often recommend as an alternative to the Swans for those looking for more bass) - the old set is better. However, the ground shaking bass is still there, which poses problems for those wanting to hear the other parts of the sound.

Many will see my post as biased - but who isn't. I can assure you that if you are wanting a "punchy" bass to complement decent highs and mids - the Swans are your best bet at that price range. A system without a dedicated woofer will not be able to provide more bass then the Swans without decent sized woofers on the tweeters, say 5" and even that becomes doubtful as most monitors go for balance and assume the use of a dedicated subwoofer.

You have a couple of options besides the Swans that can offer you great sound. First, given your dorm status, would be to get a decent set of headphones. They are going to provide you with great sound for the price. You could buy a cheaper set of computer speakers for playing background music when friends are over, Logitech and Creative make sub-$50 systems that will be loud enough for most dorm rooms to play some random music, I presume you don't hangout with a bunch of audiophiles so sound quality isn't going to be a huge issue. You could look at other options: the Altec Lansing FX6021 provide decent sound and the price occasionally gets in the $150 range. Buying Bose isn't the solution to your problem, it's overpriced and unless you need the small satellites (sorry, but the JBL Creature is not as good as the Bose) then avoiding Bose will save you some money.

I am in a dorm room as well and find the Swans exactly what I wanted, i.e. avoiding the ground shaking while still providing punchy bass. My only concerns with the Swans (quite frankly, regardless of the dorm) is the placement of the midwoofer as it is extremely directional.

If anyone wanted to know why I didn't "be the bigger person" in the other thread - this might be why. I feel as if blatantly misinforming people can be bad, anyone else think the bass is "muddy?"

3. mep42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the post, I already have Beats by dre earbuds which I love and I am looking for some good sounding speakers for the room. Price is flexible for me, I don't really want to spend that much for the companion 3's but if they are worth it than I don't mind it. Do you have any experience with the companion 3's?

Thanks
    Mark

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have heard the Companion 3's. The sound isn't garbage is some might dismiss it as, but it's definitely overpriced. In comparison to the Swans, the sound quality is no where near as detailed. The two large differences exists in the bass and the directionality of the Swans. The bass on the Bose is something that I would describe as far from accurate. While the overall sound is greater in volume on the Bose, the Swans handle the details of the lows, where as the Bose do not. With that being said, I would describe the Swans as much more "punchy." Neither is a "traditional" computer speaker subwoofer - neither bass is going to crowd out the rest of the sound. The directionality of the Swans is something that is not found in the Bose, although I would imagine most would appreciate that. If they were $100 cheaper I'd recommend them just as I recommend the Klipsch, but they aren't.

If you are satisfied with the Beats by Dre earbuds, I imagine that you will be more then satisfied with the Swans, Klipsch, Altec Lansing or Harman Kardon. My only concern would be controlling the bass level, particularly on something like the Klipsch where I feel the style of subwoofer forces the bass levels to be turned down at the risk of pissing off the people in your hall creating a sound that is ironically lacking bass. Everyone's ears are different, a stroll to the Apple Store might allow you to find that you are satisfied with a certain set. Remember that 100 people could post here telling you all sorts of things, but they are your ears and they are different then everyone else's. If you need some proof to that you might disagree with our recommendations, find a thread regarding your earphones...

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If you want strong bass then you definitly need a 2.1 system with a subwoofer (the Swan M10's do not feature a subwoofer, only a "midwoofer", which is why they are not heavy on bass).

The Klipsch Promedia 2.1 system is an excellent buy by any margin. There are also a lot of logitech systems on the market with lots of bass, and are readily available anywhere. I would stay away from the cheapest models though.

If you don't want the hassle of a subwoofer on the floor but still want good bass, then a quality 2.0 system is in order with a large (5" or larger) woofer. In that case I would recommend the M-Audio AV40's, or the Swan M200's. They are both excellent. Stay away from the cheap stuff.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

i also heard that swans are amazing but i have don't have any experience with them. There are also some good logitec speakers out there which are pretty good...

You can also look into sound sticks...a lot of people on macrumors recommend them...

try searching other threads like this...you may find something useful in them...
    cheers

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Here's a summary of what is to happen:

The general recommendations are going to be some Bose product that I won't recommend and people will make jokes about. The Sound Sticks which people seem to be giving a lot of credence to these days. I'll recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021 over those, which will lead to another discussion. Then someone will recommend the Logitech Z-2300. At this point, someone will recommend that something from Wal-Mart that costs $25.00 and they will swear it that's greatest thing ever. Someone will then recommend Bose and get flamed, followed by the comment about get yourself a good set of cans (headphones), because those will always sound better. Somewhere along the way the M-Audio's will be thrown around, followed by people like me recommending a different set of pro monitors, followed by another Bose posts. A good chance there will be a discussion about the Logitech-Z5500s, which are a good choice. There are a couple of intangibles: someone might recommend the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Creative's T40 or some other Logitech that's probably not as good as the Z-2300s. After about 20 posts or so, the general consensus will be reached by a couple of users, you should probably just go hear them for yourself, making the thread well...you can decide...

Lastly, my thoughts on Bose. Audiophiles will tell you never to buy Bose. People like me, that want to be audiophiles will tell you not to buy Bose. I don't think they sound awful, but when you place the price tag next to them, then they start to sound awful. For the most part, the Bose stuff is mid-range stuff at top range prices. With that being said, if you are satisfied with your purchase, then more power to you. To say that Bose is "junk" is probably a little overstating it, because they are no worse then any of the other companies. But, to say that they are the best, is giving way too much credit. I love my 901s, but I believe that the in-ear headphones belong only in one place, the trash.

Now you of course would have known all of this if you searched, but I did all the work for you.

Speakers Discussions Are Rampant:
    A good example of my comments are found here.
    Here is one thread for $100 USD. Good Discussion.
    USB Speaker Discussion Here
    Here is another discussion
    Wireless Thread Here...although it diverged.
    2.0 DiscussionHere
    $200 Discussion Here
    Dorm speaker discussion, here.

8. Locoweed macrumors member