Speaker Distortion?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Knowlege Bomb, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Has anybody else noticed this with some of the sounds on the 3G S? They incoming text message sound (Tri-Tone) is extremely distorted along with some other ones I can't remember at the moment. Is this a defect or does anybody else have it?

2. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I'm getting the same difference/distortion you mentioned, but I chalked it up to (hopefully) better speakers. I have noticed a similar difference in sound when going from lower quality speakers to higher quality speakers. I attributed the difference to more power and therefore more bass coming through. I could be wrong though. I'd be interested to hear if most users are noticing the same thing (suggesting I may be right) or if it's just a handful that would point toward a defect.

3. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

maybe too much power is going to the 2nd speaker..

4. dusters711 macrumors regular

I thought the EXACT same thing... I heard the text message sound and I actually thought something was wrong! It definitely sounds distorted... so I just actually lowered the sound a little to see if that helps! These speakers seem louder so it might have something to do with that!

5. adster macrumors regular

I have noticed this on the 3G S and especially on the Tri-Tone txt msg sound. It bugged me so much that I changed to another sound that had less distortion.

6. harrisc121 macrumors newbie

I actually searched Google about the very same problem and came across this thread. The "Tri-tone" in paticular on my 3G S is distorted. I have noticed some of my music also play back distorted when the volume is turned all the way up. But it was the txt message sound that bothered me the most.

7. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

So I'm not crazy! I really did hear some distortion in the tri-tone sound and some other sounds! Well...then, add me to the list chief

Edit* but when I tested the tri-tone sound right now, at different levels, I didnt hear any distortion, so maybe this happens on occasion for some reason? Or do speakers need to break in?

8. harrisc121 macrumors newbie

Well....after a little bit of playing around, here's what I came up with, at least on my phone. I can put the ringer volume all the way up and it sounds fine if I trigger the tri-tone myself, but sounds distorted when I get an actual text message. Anyone else have this, or just me?

9. retiredtk macrumors newbie

i bought 3 3gs phones this weekend, all with the same problem. it seems like the speaker is being severely overdriven. my 3g iphone has no distortion at all at the same volume. this problem also occurs when my phone does the charging chime when you plug it in.... odd

10. retiredtk macrumors newbie

same here brotha

11. Knoxville3G macrumors member

Exact same thing just happened to me. So I'm doubting a defect. Definitely strange though.....Must be a software thing, because when I change the sound for my messages and play Tri-tone myself, it sounds perfect.....but when I get an actual message it sounds a bit distorted. Thus I'm thinking a software issue. Hopefully Apple will fix it.

12. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i guess the sound being louder on 3g S really isn't better speakers since its distorted

13. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

14. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

Ok, I have the same results... sounds crystal clear when changing the sound in setting, but when it comes as a notification, it's totally distorted.

15. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Same here...

I was looking around the settings hoping there would be a seperate volume for text but... there is not

Curious to see what happens though I am sure this can be corrected through an update.

16. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Same here on both mine and my brothers. Pretty annoying, but I guess it is nice having a louder speaker for music and speakerphone.

17. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a 3GS that does not have a distorted incoming text sound? or is this normal. Mine also makes a high pitch tone after sending a text and when I plug it in to charge, anyone have one that doesn't do that?

18. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I don't have the high pitched tone after sending a text but it looks like this incoming text distortion is pretty commonplace among the 3GS'.

I'm sure Apple will have it fixed in the coming firmware.

19. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I wonder if I should try to exchange mine. The tone is also recorded when using the video function unless I film with the ringer switch off.

20. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm actually curious as to what you're experiencing now. Any way you can give a more detailed description?

Forgot to mention that I do have distortion upon plugging into a power source similar to that of the text alert.

21. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

Omg! i thought i was the only one! This happens to me to.

22. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Mine also makes the distorted sound when plugging it in to the power source too.
    You may not be able to hear the high pitch sound, some people can't hear that frequency. Try sending a text then hold the bottom of the phone to your ear. It lasts maybe 5 seconds. The high pitch sound starts after the text send tone ends.

23. lavinci macrumors 6502

24. Pelikanyo macrumors newbie

Still an Issue

Hi All,
    I just upgraded to a 32GB GS, and have this issue. When a tri-tone comes thru while the phone is sleeping, there is distortion. Tones generated manually after that are just fine.
    Where posted here, it appears you have 32Gb phones??
    I tried the 8 and 16GB phones in the Apple Store, and could not reproduce this. Of course there were no 32's on display...hmmm...interesting.
    Anyone solve this? Still experience this on the 32GB?
    Thanks much.

25. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

Glad to see it's not just me experiencing this problem, on my old 3G iPhones (2 of them) and my original 2G iPhone, the speaker quality was fine even on the top volume level, now with my new 3GS the ringtones, message tones and music all sound very distorted when the volume level is set too high