Speaker Shuts Down after Swim

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by warburg, Feb 9, 2018.

1. warburg macrumors 6502a

I recall reading something about this problem before, but I didn't't experience it until I went for an hour's pool swim with my Series 3 Edition AW. When I placed the watch on the charger about two hours after my swim I didn't hear the usual ping sound. I tried a few Siri questions and got text answers, but again no sound. The sound system seems to have recovered after about seven or eight hours, although I don't think it's as loud as it was. I've frozen the screen with the tear drop icon and turned the Digital Crown to expel water a few times. Is this a normal series of events or should I take the watch to the Genius Bar?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would give it a few more days to see if it get better.

3. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I have noticed the same behavior in my Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) model. Sounds are very limited right after being submerged in water. In my case, it can take up to 2 hours of wrist "wear" before the normal full range sound returns.

Dave

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Water is still inside the speaker. You have to wait for it to compeltely dry.

5. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

So
    you think this is more or less “normal,” and there is no need to go to the Genius Bar about it?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When you use the AppleWatch in wet conditions (swimming/taking shower), water goes in the speaker. If you put it in Water mode, the end result is vibrations pushign water out.

[​IMG]

However, when that happens only the bulk of the water (not the entirety) is pushed out the grills.

[​IMG]

There is residual water left inside the speaker that needs to dry up for sound to come out clear again.

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Is that wOS 3.x you are still running or is it an older pic? here is wOS 4.
    IMG_4189.jpg

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Its the same feature. The pictures are from older WatchOS.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Personally, if you're under warranty and if you don't think the speaker is as loud as it did sound at one point, or does it does not operate as it did Before the water, then I would have Apple look at it, thus resulting in a possible replacement device.

10. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Yes it is perfectly normal behavior. If it "never" returns to your normal / previous sound levels then consider a replacement unit.

There are been a few threads here about customers loosing all sound once they used their new watch in water for the first time. You are not indicating that it does not return to normal after the water actually dries.

Dave

11. warburg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just not sure about this. I have a Genius Bar appointment for Wednesday, but I'm going to try this out a few times before that and make up my mind about whether it's necessary to take it to them.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---