Speakers for iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iPoopeh, Aug 23, 2010.

1. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I really don't see a thread about speakers for the iMac. I know that the iMac has their own built in speakers, but I'm a person that likes external speakers. So I was wondering if you have external speakers? Or do you use the speakers that is already in your iMac? And what type of speakers should I get?

Thanks in advance! :]

2. DIS Ottawa macrumors newbie

I use Klipsch speakers and they sound terrific. I don't recall the model number but looking at the Klipsch site, they don't sell the exact same model anymore.

However, they do sell something that appears quite similar, the ProMedia 2.1 which, knowing Klipsch, will also sound terrific.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Been using Logitech Z-5500D's for the past 4 years with my 2006 iMac (well, now they're on my Mac Pro :p).

4. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I'm using Audioengine A2 -active speakers. They have exceptional sound for such small speakers and they aren't that expensive either. They also are stylish and fit together with an iMac very well -- especially the matte black. One possible problem with the A2s is that Audioengine seems to have similar trouble to that of Apple: the quality control isn't 100%. So it is possible that you might get a pair that doesn't work right.

My native company Genelec makes a good iMac-compatible active speaker as well, Genelec 6010A. They are double the price of Audioengine A2 though.

I'd say those two are probably the best "small but powerful active speaker that fits the iMac's style" speakers for the iMac. You might also consider getting a small DAC and Nuforce's uDac is definately one of the best choises: small, looks good with an iMac, doesn't cost much. I'm probably getting the uDac-2 myself (an upgraded version). The A2s don't need a DAC but it should make the sound even better. Moreover, these A2s must be connected to the iMac's headphone jack and because of this you cannot use headphones (unless you get USB-headphones which are rarely as good as regular quality headphones) unless you constantly swap the cables. The good thing about the uDac is that it connects via USB and has a headphone jack as well. So with it you don't even need reach to the back of the iMac to connect headphones.

If you want quality with relatively low price, I'd say you cannot really beat a Audioengine A2/uDac -combo.

5. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

Great, thanks for replying back! I sorta have limited desk space, but the A2's look very appealing to me! I was sorta looking for box-type speakers that still sound good. So far I've been finding a lot of USB speakers. Do they still have good sound quality as the others?

6. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I have limited desk space as well (one of the reasons why I did not want the 27" iMac) and these A2s with perfect. I previously used Logitech V20 USB notebook speakers that were decent for their size (got very good reviews) but were still very "plastic" sounding and distorted badly at higher levels of volume. They had no bass. The difference between them and the A2's was like the difference between night and day.

Logitech and Creative do have those desktop speakers that are popular (like Creative Gigaworks T20/T40) and quite good but I think Audioengine makes speakers that are little closer to hifi speakers than Logitech's or Creative's models. I also think that speakers from those two brands aren't that stylish (I like the clean hifi-like shape of A2 compared to the plastic-like PC speaker -shape of a Logitech/Creative-speakers). I tend to do a lot of research when I'm buying electronics and I did search the net looking for the best stylish small computer speakers around 100-250 bucks. I did not find any USB models that would fit into all of those three categories.

On the other hand, if you want to invest in something a little better (but still a bargain) like Audioengine you'll find out that price keeps getting higher a bit. The A2s kinda require stands (otherwise they sound a bit boomy and not as good as with the stands) and while you can make them out of the protective pads in the A2-box, I bought the dekstop stands that Audioengine makes. As I mentioned, a DAC is a good investment as well although you can live without it. And I guess it always pays off to buy a bit better speaker cables and interconnects to the A2's as I did (the ones that come with the box aren't that high quality).

So it all depends on high much do you want to spend. I'm of the opinion that it's not that smart to spend something like 500 bucks for computer speakers. On the other hand, having lived with the hollow sound of those Logitech speakers, I wanted to invest on something significantly better. So I think Audioengine A2 is a perfect compromise in buying quality but at a relatively low price. It does pay off to invest in a good pair of speakers: the sound feels full and fills up my livingroom when I listen to Spotify via my iMac with the A2s.

7. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

8. ninn macrumors member

I bought a pair of Klipsch RB-51s and drive them with a Topping TP-21 class T amplifier. 25W per channel is more than enough for my home office.

Out of the box, the sound was very flat. A quick tweak of the itunes eq and they sound fantastic from jazz to metal.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

If you have a limited desk space, you may want to consider the Bowers & Wilkins MM1 speakers. They're a bit on the expensive side, but they do sound great. Their online reviews have also been quite positive.

10. Snicker macrumors newbie

i have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and it sounds great to me when i listen to my itunes library.

11. nexedzero macrumors regular

nexedzero

check out the cyber acoustics speaker systems out just got them and so far very impressed

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have the Logitech x540s, they are very good and punchy for the price :)

13. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

14. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Hmm! These all seem like high end speakers for audio production (I know you can go alot higher for pro production).

Any one use any nice small discrete speakers that match the iMac?

Quite like the look of the Bose Companion Series..... Anyone had any experiences with them?

15. RichardI macrumors 6502a

RichardI

Can't do better than the Harmon-Kardon SoundSticks II. Awesome sound, and they look futuristic which matches the iMac. Great bass, treble and tweets...

Rich :cool:

16. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There is an old audiophile saying that Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment - usually for a good reason. Their stuff is okay, but vastly overpriced for what you get (similar to Monster Cable). You can do much, much better.

17. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

OK thanks!

the sound sticks look very 'white iMacey' & look a bit tacky now tbh.

Hmmm go on them people smart speakers that look nice small and discrete next to an alu iMac

18. Blair230 macrumors regular

Also have to vote for the soundsticks II. They sound GREAT!

19. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Was lent a set of M-Audio AV40s for a while. Great speakers, but just too big for my desk. I am now back to my oldie-but-goodie Logitech X220s. However, if you don't like bass (I do!) you'll hate the X220s because they are really bass-heavy and LOUD. They don't match my MBP at all, but I'll use 'em 'til they die! Good replacements are ridiculously expensive IMHO. :D

EDIT: Also, if you're looking for cheap, the Boston Acoustics BA635s (yes, another oldie) are typically really easy to find cheap ($20 or less) on eBay. Not bad for the price - I had a set of these in the past and they were pretty good.

20. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

M-Audio does some nice desktop active speakers as well and actually I was thinking about getting M-Audios myself. Unfortunately as praised as the AV40s are they are just way too big for my desk. M-Audio does have AV30 as well which are smaller and good as well (although not as good as the AV40) but they are still too big. Don't even consider AV20.

I agree with the comments about Bose. They make stylish speakers that are decent but, as was mentioned, they are way overpriced. Those Harman/Kardon speakers are very popular among mac-people but for my taste they are just too "alien". For me the Audioengine A2s are the best option: incredible sound (even bass although some opt for an extra subwoofer), surprisingly low price considering the performance and they match the new iMac perfectly. And they are surprisingly small as well.

21. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I'm happy with my Bose Companion 5 set. Maybe there is better or cheaper but for me it's ok.

22. iPoopeh thread starter macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I have no idea what speakers I have but they are these dirty beige speakers that my grandaddy had for 20 years almost. And beige speakers do not look so hot with a new shiny iMac. So I am planning on getting a black pair of speakers that doesn't cost over $200.

23. ACKRITE macrumors member

ACKRITE

I highly recommend anything that Blue Sky Audio makes. I have a 2.1 Monitoring system from them, and the sound is incredible and a great value for the money.

Happy Jams...

24. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Do you have Whote or Black with your iMac? Pictures?

25. Tigerman82 macrumors regular

I have the matte black A2s. The white A2s don't go together with the new iMac as good IMO -- perhaps because there are no white parts in the new iMac, only silver or black. Unfortunately I don't have any online pics of my setup. Trust me though, the black A2s look like they are made for the new iMac.