Speakers for Mac Pro?????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 2002cbr600f4i, May 2, 2009.

1. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Ok, I'm waiting on my new mac pro to arrive (Tuesday...) In the mean time I've been taking a quick inventory of what I'll be able to move over from my other older systems. In the process, I looked at my current Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup and was dismayed to find that it only has Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center inputs, and not Optical SPDIF!

So I swung by Frys and Best Buy... Neither had a single computer speaker setup that had SPDIF (Optical or Coax) in stock... Looking at newegg, it doesn't look like they carry any that do either!

ARGH!!! How do you guys get 5.1 audio on your Mac Pro's???? I really don't want to resort to purchasing a $200+ receiver (which pumps out a ton of heat and takes a lot of space) just to get decent audio out of my new machine!

Options???

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Interesting. I'm using Logitech z2300s, or something to that effect, which say 2.1 on the box. Although for me they are very excellent speakers, compared to the Bose speakers I've tried and even the Harmon Kardon soundsticks I've used with my Mac Pro.

If I'm really wanting to, you know... "jam out" it's easily done with these Logitechs, but maybe you're even more discriminating with your audio equipment than I am.

BTW - Bose = FAIL. Overpriced and underpowered as far as computer speakers go.

3. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

In My Opinion-

I recommend going with a pair of studio monitors run through a audio interface. Just a standard $100.00 - $500.00 interface setup with 1/4 inch cables or RCA's

KRK, M-Audio or Yamaha.

4. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

Aego M a 2.1 speaker system from Acoustic Energy, a British company which makes hi-fi equipments. After two years using it, I have no regrets, one of the best purchases I made. And it's not expensive.

5. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

6. 2002cbr600f4i thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the Logitech z5500 Digital is the ONLY one I've found so far, and it's rather pricey...

I could just get a AV receiver, but that's going to run at least $200 and they are big, and put out a ton of heat.

I'm sorry, but 2.1 doesn't even come close to cutting it... I game on my computers and need surround sound for that extra immersion and for helping pick out targets approaching from behind, etc.

I might start looking on Ebay for just the subwoofer unit from a Z5500... I have plenty of speakers, just need the sub + control unit.

Just frustrating that there aren't more options out there, or that Apple didn't put the more standard Front / Rear/ Center outputs on the Pro...

7. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

Don't forget to look at firewire interfaces and powered speakers. You won't have as big a problem with size or heat.

8. Fomaphone macrumors regular

i have these and love them. my next computer audio purchase will be a pair of M-Audio's or genelec stereo monitors for stereo mixing of video, though

also, one should note that the z5500 surround setup takes a bit of tweaking unless your computer room is huge. additionally, if you want surround monitoring, then you'll have to get a mixer or some other kind of interface with an output for each channel of audio

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I have the Bose Companion 5 and I love them. Yes a little over priced but you can't get a better speaker. I guess this statement opens a whole new can of worms :rolleyes:

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Nah, it's pretty well known that Bose makes the absolutely best monitor grade speakers on the planet. Seriously.

11. shadowfayre macrumors regular

Swan makes some really nice speakers. Sound quality is very nice, build quality is leaps and bounds from that you will see from Logitech... and cosmetically, they are sweet.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=364

Note: 2.1 speakers (although there is no actual sub). They too connect via the mini stereo headphone jack, so no special connection required. Plus, in my case, when and if they are every replaced, they will go really nice as a speaker docking setup for the Ipod Touch.

I do not work or know anyone that works there. I am simply a satisfied customer. :)

12. rmpstudio macrumors member

Bose

I drank the Kool-aid.. and liked it!

I used to be in a band (electronic, techno, rave) and we were so concerned about having the best studio speakers around. I only say this to preface my choice that although others "diss" the brand, i chose, not based on the hype, but based on the clarity and fidelity of the sound coming from the speakers.

That being said, i believe, (and yes there are some exceptions) that some people will always want to pick the "alternative" option. The one nobody's heard of or they don't want to buy the popular brand because they believe they're selling out or something - deeper issues me thinks :)

I just bought the Companion 3 and i find myself trying to create things to do to stay sitting at my computer so i can continue listening to music. And no, i'm not kidding.

BUY BOSE. It's worth the extra $$ IMO.

13. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I would say that Bose speakers are as far from monitor grade as you can get. Monitors are meant to be fairly flat in frequency response. Bose speakers are very very colored, especially towards the bass frequencies.

14. davewolfs macrumors regular

For the money, these are great.

M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers, you can get them at Amazon.

15. rmpstudio macrumors member

I absolutely disagree - unless you only use the two speakers, then yes, it would lack bass, but i have to turn my bass down below half to keep it from sounding TOO bass heavy!

16. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I'm saying there is a TON of bass in Bose speakers. I really can't imagine a single studio monitoring with Bose speakers.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, I don't agree. They're a bit too bright and colourful in my opinion, might be good for stage uses or playback in a boxy bar/club but for monitoring? Forget Bose. As for me, monitoring consist of the following...

On the Go:
    Bose M3's (battery powered)
    Westone UM2

In the studio:

JBL Control 5
    ART SLA-2
    Yamaha MG166CX
    Sennheiser HD 25

18. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Well we have Bose at the computer, in the car and in the home theater. Love the sound from them. My wife agrees... :)

19. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yup, they kick azz!

But I suppose if you get the ones that were specifically designed for bars and noisy areas then those will sound "bright & colorful" when used as edit monitors. They make a whole slew of different models for fairly specific environments... ya gotta get the right ones. :p

Personally I like massively huge behemoths. I use 6 different speaker cabinets and the smallest cabinet is over 60 CMs. :p

20. 2002cbr600f4i thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, this wasn't meant to start a holy war on speaker brands...

I'm not looking for "professional grade" "monitors" or whatever...

I just want a 5.1 powered Computer speaker setup that has the Optical SPDIF audio input for connecting to the Mac pro... Something that I can use for gaming and the occational music playing while working in my home office...

Geesh... Let's get back on topic...

5.1 Surround Sound Speaker setups with SPDIF optical in... So far it looks like the Logitech Z5500 Digitals are the only ones....

Anyone know of other options??? (Preferably in the Sub $200 range???)

21. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The problem is that I don't think any options exist with SPDIF inputs for under $200. Amazon seems to have the best price on the Z-5500 right now.

22. TheThirdMan macrumors regular

TheThirdMan

I was in exactly the same position as you and the logitechs were the only 5.1 opticals i could find for less than £300.

I went with Bose companion 3s. They're great sound, small speakers and Bose have great customer service. I'm sure you could get the same quality sound from cheaper speakers, but then again you could get a similar speed computer to a mac for less too.

23. seer macrumors member

I don't want 5.1 speakers, I want GREAT 2.1 with the optical input. I don't game that much anymore so it's not essential to hear people sneaking up behind you :)
    I watch movies on the big screen downstairs with 5.1 down there, not in a computer chair on a small monitor ALONE :)

What I want is not something that fills an art gallery, I want something that fills the 4-5 square meters around my desk with really beautiful sound! The need to be strong but controlled in the bass, and crisp and springy in the mid-trebles.

Suggestions please?

24. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Check out Focal CMS50 or CMS60. Apple stores sell the CMS50 if you want to check it out. They are not cheap at $1099 pair. CMS series are a step down from Solo6 & Twin6, those are what recording engineers use. Alica Key's last album was mastered on Focal Twin6 BE.