Speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmaroon, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mrmaroon macrumors member

Perhaps in the wrong place, but I did a search and nothing substantial came up...

OK... who here can recommend me a decent set of speakers for my macbook?
    I'll be using them when macbooking in me room (smallish size)... They'd have to be 2.1, as 5.1 isn't really an option, and I'm looking for a quality buy at the lowest price! Optical is nice, but not essential, but a sub is a must... Not really looking for them to rattle the rafters, but they must have a decent output, even though I'm not an audiophile! Picky eh! Sorry to be a pest - ta..

2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

3. DMBGuru macrumors regular

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

5. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

The Z-2300's are a VERY nice set from Logitech. I own a set and they output great sound (I listen to classical, marching band and drum corps, and compose/arrange). Plus I can shake the walls of the apartment when I really feel like it, the sub is strong (or when the people upstairs are stomping around loudly ;) )

6. mrmaroon thread starter macrumors member

I was looking at the creative inspire a300 - thoughts? (On my ps3, - Can't link :{P ) Those z 2300's look stunning! - But silver? ack! Plus I'm looking at the cheaper end of things (£30 - 40). Money isn't really an object, but I only want a quick upgrade on the internals! ta..

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

8. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

Well are you looking for great sound, or just good looks? The Z-2300's give the best sound of anything mentioned in this thread.

9. macdoobie macrumors member

Logi Z-2300's OWN. You can bump some serious gangster rap and look super thug in your dorm.:D

10. MacBook-Gal macrumors regular

Lol...I was just fixing to ask that question when I logged in and saw this thread. Glad that I found it!

How do the Bose speakers that I see advertised all the time compare to the Z-2300's as far as the sound quality?

11. Papajohn56 macrumors 6502

Truth. It shakes the entire building where I'm at.

12. mrmaroon thread starter macrumors member

Or I could slam on some doleful indie, and look chic in my Surrey bedroom...

To John: TBH, As long as they beef up the integrated set, I'm happy. The logitech's would be amaze, but they're too pricey to justify, and they don't fit with my room's aesthetic:( Quality listening goes to my Rent's über expensive B&O Hi-Fi downstairs:D

13. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Don't waste your money on Bose - you're paying for marketing - there are far better speakers out there for lot less $$.

MacDan

14. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

My dad works in the pro audio (concert, club, stadium, etc) industry, and they have a saying: "No highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Bose has the highest margins in the consumer audio industry BY FAR - they are masters at marketing, and nothing else. They take the same cheap driver and use it across their product line. Incredibly overpriced, mediocre sound.

(Cue all the people that payed too much for their crappy Bose system and think it sounds good because they've never heard good speakers :rolleyes:)

15. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

What about the Altec Lansing FX6021 Some of the best speakers

16. murc585 macrumors regular

Klipsh Promedia 2.1 would be your best pc 2.1 solution.

17. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

It's spelled Klipsch. I have owned these as well. The Logitech Z2300's 8" single subwoofer does go down a bit lower (vs 6.5" on the Klipsch), but the high frequencies on the Klipsch are better (smoother, less metallic sounding) than the titanium drivers used in the Logitech.

18. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Heh. And they sue companies that give them less than stellar ratings, hence, you never see Bose systems rated anywhere.

Not to mention they are interestingly absent from theater systems (maybe because THX won't certify them?)

MacDann

19. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The only thing they have that is good is their sound detonating Headphones which are very good!

20. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

:D Yep, they even sued CEDIA (the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association), of which Bose was ITSELF A MEMBER over the trademark "Electronic Lifestyles" (cause I sure think of Bose when I think of that phrase). Bose had its ass handed to them.

Not only do they suck, they're slimy too.

21. munckee macrumors 65816

I have a pair of Logitech Z-4's. For the $40 I paid for them, I'm pretty happy.

22. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Noise canceling is easy to do, and many others do it better. But I bet you've seen way more ads for the Bose headphones than any others. Tells you where they put their money. (Hint: it's not R&D)

23. rhopkins10 macrumors newbie

i have the JBL Creature II and i really like them. I got them for $35 which considering the price, I think they are a very good bang for the buck, and the white fits in perfectly with my iMac

24. Electrik macrumors newbie

Electrik

Honestly if money isnt too tight get the Klipsch pro media 2.1, little more expensive, but you get what you pay for with these puppies. I just got mine from Amazon for $106 plus shipping and i couldn't be happier. Great sound and the subwoofer really delivers. Highly recommended!