Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Washac, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi

Looking to buy some desktop speakers for my Mac Pro.

Some recommendations would be good :)

Thanks....

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Price Range
    Usage: Music/Movies/Games
    Music Genres:
    Size
    Number of Speakers

All of those would be helpful in determining a recommendation.

The general recommendations are going to be some Bose product that I won't recommend and people will make jokes about. The Sound Sticks which people seem to be giving a lot of credence to these days. I'll recommend the Altec Lansing FX6021 over those, which will lead to another discussion. Then someone will recommend the Logitech Z-2300. At this point, someone will recommend that something from Wal-Mart that costs $25.00 and they will swear it that's greatest thing ever. Someone will then recommend Bose and get flamed, followed by the comment about get yourself a good set of cans (headphones), because those will always sound better. Somewhere along the way the M-Audio's will be thrown around, followed by people like me recommending a different set of pro monitors, followed by another Bose posts. A good chance there will be a discussion about the Logitech-Z5500s, which are a good choice. There are a couple of intangibles: someone might recommend the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1, Creative's T40 or some other Logitech that's probably not as good as the Z-2300s. After about 20 posts or so, the general consensus will be reached by a couple of users, you should probably just go hear them for yourself, making the thread well...you can decide...

My recommendation is the Swan M10. You can find a thread about it, here.

Lastly, my thoughts on Bose. Audiophiles will tell you never to buy Bose. People like me, that want to be audiophiles will tell you not to buy Bose. I don't think they sound awful, but when you place the price tag next to them, then they start to sound awful. For the most part, the Bose stuff is mid-range stuff at top range prices. With that being said, if you are satisfied with your purchase, then more power to you. To say that Bose is "junk" is probably a little overstating it, because they are no worse then any of the other companies. But, to say that they are the best, is giving way too much credit. I love my 901s, but I believe that the in-ear headphones belong only in one place, the trash.

Speakers Discussions Are Rampant:
    A good example of my predictions are found here.
    Here is a 2.1 system.
    Here is one thread for $100 USD. Good Discussion.
    USB Speaker Discussion Here
    Here is another discussion
    $200 Discussion Here

3. SaltyPiratePony macrumors newbie

I'm kind of new here so don't shoot me:

You can find loads and loads of info (and loads of biased info too) about audiogear on the www.head-fi.org forums... I learned quite alot from reading all the guides, sticky threads etc. there.

I'm not gonna advice you on any speakers but gotta join the previous poster's opinion, he sounds like a very wise man to me:

Bose is too expensive for what they're offering.
    Save yourself from in-ear headphones.

Get some advice from other people/threads, go to a store and listen to the speakers yourself. The common sense of your ears and wallet/budget won't disappoint you.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Hi...I am also looking for some speakers for my MBP...I checked out bose companion 2 but didn't like the bass...any help would be appreciated!

Price Range: around: $50:eek:(i reduced the budget as i bought a new phone :) )
    Usage: Music/Movies/Games: Music and Movies
    Music Genres:mostly music with heavy bass.
    Size: as small as possible:)
    Number of Speakers: 2.0/2.1

Thanks!

ps-i checked out the threads above but couldn't find what I was looking for...!

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I'd check out gearslutz, before Head-Fi when it comes to speakers.

At that price range, you are going to be disappointed. And if you are looking for heavy bass in a small size, Bose might be one of the better options, just because of the size.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I know...i just want some speakers for casual listening...small size would be awesome but its not necessary...and i can go up to $70 maximum...i don't think bose would satisfy me...:eek:

thanks a lot for your help though:)

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I mean, I would advise saving, there is a huge difference between $50 and $100, even if you don't get the Swan's.

8. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Yamaha HS50s or HS80s powered monitors. if they're good enough for the music industry pros then there good enough........... The HS10W woofer adds to the setup.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The are however flat as a board, which for non-critical listening is not good. They are also rather expensive compared to other options. There is a difference between those that want to enjoy music and those that want to listen to it.

10. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

I agree, they take a bit of setting up but when done so the reward is worth it. Plus with them being near field they are incredibly comfortable to listen to for hour after hour each day.