Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A photo claiming to show a specification sheet for a 256GB-capacity iPhone 7 Plus has been circulating online today.

Originally posted on Chinese microblogging site Weibo, the image is just the latest in a series of pictures of potentially dubious authenticity given how easy it is to digitally alter them.

iphone-7-earpods.jpg

The photo in question appears to be of Hong Kong origin, and claims to show the inclusion of Lightning-equipped wired EarPods and a Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter in the box.

Those details square with the widely held belief that Apple's upcoming iPhone 7 and 7 Plus won't have a headphone jack, and will instead rely on an all-in-one Lightning port for charging, listening, and connectivity.

Yesterday, Apple added a 2TB storage tier to its iCloud service, which could be tied to the impending launch of a larger capacity handset or improvements to phone camera quality. Also yesterday, Apple was granted EAEC certificates for "AirPods" - wireless in-ear headphones which may be sold separately as accessories.

With just a week to go before Apple's September 7 media event, leaks and rumors of varying quality will undoubtedly continue to emerge at an increasing pace. Pre-orders for the new iPhones are expected to begin on September 9 with a potential launch of September 16 or September 23.

Article Link: Spec Sheet Shows iPhone 7 Plus With 256GB Storage and Lightning EarPods

Reactions: Jones Lawson

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
More importantly, it even mentions lightning to 3.5mm included in the box. I think it's excellent for users if Apple does include it, but I think it's a mistake for Apple as it shows there's a need for 3.5mm still and they've removed it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I can't say I'm surprised, I think the rumors have only gotten stronger and stronger over the omission of the jack. I suppose Apple had to do something to make the 7 different, as it's not really going to have that much new or updated items in the phone

I expect it to be thinner which I'm not liking, but that's the apple way it seems.

Wiejeben

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011
The Hague, the Netherlands
I can't say I'm surprised, I think the rumors have only gotten stronger and stronger over the omission of the jack. I suppose Apple had to do something to make the 7 different, as it's not really going to have that much new or updated items in the phone

I expect it to be thinner which I'm not liking, but that's the apple way it seems.
So basically its going to be like an iPhone 6s-s.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Don't you think the text is too wide? Comparing to the back of my 6s Plus box this looks fake.

And do you really think Apple will call it a "Lightning to Headphone Jack" adapter?

That's become the accepted nomenclature here but really that's informal language. I would expect something more like "Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Adapter" or something.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Honestly this looks like "Apple getting rid of 3.5 mm headphone jack" confirmed to me. :-(

Are you kidding? Lol it's been obvious all year and even last year that they would be getting rid of it.

AirPods trademark.
3rd Party Lightning headphones.
Beats for Summer back to school promo involves wireless Beats...

There have been several signs. It's happening. Life will go on...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
So, what are everyone's guesses on storage tiers? We can assume 32GB at the base, and 256GB at the top (maybe Plus only?). Will there be 4 levels for the Plus model? Or 32/64/256?

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
With close to 7 days to the keynote itself, it seems that it is all but certain that Apple would remove the headphone jack. Moreover, all the rumors leading up to this insinuate the same piece of information as well.

Looking forward to see both the reaction of the tech community and the general public when the news drops. What I do know is the fact that iVerge will definitely act as if this removal isn't a big deal.

Reactions: nope7308

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
To charge, or to use my headphones... Ah, the dilemma, brought to you by Apple. Innovation at its' best!

I feel like an adapter will come out that will allow you to do both at the same time.

Also, I assume they will be willing Wireless AirPods, but will have Lightning EarPods in the box as well as a Lightning to 3.5MM Adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.