Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

instabusto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Ok,

I have a Kingston (x25-m G1) 80gb ssd, can i add a G2 intel x25-m 80gb, and have them in raid0? So it would be g1 vs g2, and kingston vs intel(same thing tho in this case?).

If this is possible, is there something extra to be done in order to get ssd's in raid0, or should it work exactly the same as with hdd's ?

cheers

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Ok,

I have a Kingston (x25-m G1) 80gb ssd, can i add a G2 intel x25-m 80gb, and have them in raid0? So it would be g1 vs g2, and kingston vs intel(same thing tho in this case?).

If this is possible, is there something extra to be done in order to get ssd's in raid0, or should it work exactly the same as with hdd's ?

cheers

i have a lot of intels they must have the same firmware for raid0 it is a 4 digital number like 4785 it is on the upper right as you read the print. I am guessing you will not have matching firmware.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Ok,

cheers
In theory they should work. But given the fast access speeds (no where near the latency of mechanical), you may have some issues with this arrangement (I've not mixed SSD's to be certain of what the behavior would be).

To be on the safe side, you'd be better off running identical drives (no throttling/stuttering due to one drive being faster than another, or instability).

i have a lot of intels they must have the same firmware for raid0 it is a 4 digital number like 4785 it is on the upper right as you read the print. I am guessing you will not have matching firmware.
Where did you get this information?

RAID is actually meant to be able to use mixed drives (as a general rule). This is also rather an easy thing with software implementations (far less picky, and you can use consumer grade drives, which are cheaper).

But when you go with a true hardware solution (proper RAID card), you will get into specifics in terms of drive model numbers and firmware revisions (minimum version at any rate, as that and newer work together; mixing older however = unstable). Hardware solutions are much harder to deal with over drives, namely due to the recovery timings. Even the RAID card's firmware revision can matter.

As per SSD's, the speed at which they run could concievably cause problems if they don't "match" up in terms of performance (latency issues come to mind that result in timing problems during access = unstable). I'm just not absolutely sure of real world results in such situtations, as I've not put in the time to investigate further (mixed drive environment).

instabusto

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
In theory they should work. But given the fast access speeds (no where near the latency of mechanical), you may have some issues with this arrangement (I've not mixed SSD's to be certain of what the behavior would be).

Thanks for the input! I won't take the risk unless someone replies in here having tried a similar thing that worked without problems :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.