Speck Black Satin VS Incase Black Hardshell Cases

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheSandman2236, Mar 18, 2009.

1. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

Hey guys -- I'm looking for a few good ways to transport and use my UMB. I figure buying a hardshell case & a timbuk2 bag seem like a good combo. Question is - which do you guys think is better, the Speck or Incase cases? Anyone have any experiences? I had the Incase hardshell for my old whitebook.

Seemed to work out alright. The other option I thought of was getting the invisible shield. Anyone have any thoughts?:apple:

2. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. JHatch macrumors newbie

JHatch

I had an InCase hardshell for my old notebook. It got scratched up and grungy looking after a few months. Not a fan... it also looked cheap.

I now have a uMB, and picked up the Satin. It's leaps and bounds better then the InCase. It doesn't show scratches, and it has an almost soft... jellyish type feel to it.

4. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

the new incases for the UMB has the same finish as the satin now. I have it and it is really nice, i couldnt decide between the speck and incase, but i went with incase blue one. Ive only had it on for about a week but it is really nice!

5. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

whether you end up going with the speck or the incase, both will protect your computer the same. if you run into anyone who claims that either of the cases scratched their computer it is because they did not clean the case often.

with any hard shell case there will be dirt/dust that somehow manages to get in, they aren't 100% fool proof. but that's with any kind of computer protection. as long as you pop off the shell once a month and wipe it down you should be good to go. give your a computer a quick wipe too.

i purchased a speck hardshell case and it's been perfect. every month i pop it off, wipe it down, and stick it back on. takes me about 5 minutes.

6. AmeliaO macrumors newbie

I'd definitely go with the Speck case. I bought a red satin one a few weeks ago and not only does it look and feel nice; it fits perfectly.

7. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

The major thing im worried about is the clips cracking with taking the cover off to clean the MB. Any thoughts on it?:apple:

8. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sold - just picked up the speck version. I think Incase is loosing it for build quality.:apple:

9. alexdell macrumors newbie

10. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well here's an update...I just returned mine. I'm going to buy the Incase ver. it's much easier to remove and it has more ventilation on it. It took me almost 30 mins to pull of the Speck case. It also left scrapes and scuffs everywhere on my MB.:apple:

11. alexdell macrumors newbie

Oh man, that's a bummer. now I'm contemplating on returning the case. Can you elaborate on where the scrapes occurred? Is it only from tugging the case out? Will it scratch if I just leave it on all the time?

12. pyromaniaque macrumors 6502

I think the speck satin case is amazing. Tons of kids in my school have it for the UMBs

13. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

in all reality there should be no difference between that and incase. they snap on the same way and come on the same way. i have incase because of the color. That video that i posted, he has had the case for months and no scratches. he takes his case off once a month and cleans it and snaps it back on. he has no scratches.

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I just got the INCASE HARDCASE and it is fantastic. No noises and does not obstruct viewing angle.

15. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

The scrapes appeared on both the lid and bottom case. I don't think it's from tugging it out. The speck top of the case is that satin feel, but the INSIDE that touches your macbook is this glossy hard plastic. I think it's this that scratched my macbook.

Like I said, it's what on the inside of each hardshell. The incase has the satin on the outside AND inside. The speck has it on the outside.

16. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

yea thats true

17. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

I want to get a speck see-thru but am really worried about getting scratches on my alumacbook cause i have heard lots of diffrent things about them.

18. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Did you, by any chance, cleaned your Macbook at least once, before or during the use of the case? If you didn't, then that's why your MacBook is scratched. Dust came in, rubbing on the body, left marks.

19. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Hi guys,
    From what i know, the speck once that are seethru scratch very easy, but the Uniea or what ever is less scratch.

Mygearstore.com has few of them also check youtube.

I was going to make a review on youtube for it but I dont have $50 to spend on case, i wish though.

20. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

The Uniea's are the ugliest covers ever

21. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

yea those are terrible and fit horribly DONT DO IT

22. TheSandman2236 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep I cleaned BOTH, the Macbook & and the case before putting them on.

My solution, I just bought one of those Best Skins Ever covers (like invisible shield). AND THEN I'll put on the Incase Shell. I'd say that's perfect protection.:apple:

23. fourtyoneantz macrumors member

that's exactly what i did. i bought a macstyle and put it on the top cover then i put my speck case over that. i also bought a macpad for the wrist/keyboard area. scratch resistant. :)

24. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Yeah they are, but i relly want the speck so i can review it but $50 is alot. I dont have any case for the macbook anyway.

So i need to get something.

I like the Clear speck, green ( i wish had orange).