Speck cases are useless!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamesesesesess, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I just got my new Macbook Pro in December, and I knew that I would need a case to protect my investment. I found that the Speck hardshell case was a great choice. I've read a ton of stories of people who had it and it saved their Macbook when they dropped it. I even read a story on Apple's site where someone got in a car accident and the Macbook was spotless because of the case.

So I got my case a few days after I got my Macbook. I took a damp wash cloth to clean my Macbook (avoiding ports and other exposed areas, of course) and dried it off, then did the same to the case, so that no dirt would get trapped inside of it. I put it on and was very impressed! It barely weighed it down and I was glad I could still see the gorgeous brushed aluminum unibody because I chose the clear case.

And then a few days ago I decided I'd use it without the case because I was at home and wanted to see what it felt like again. I thought I'd check to see how nice and spotless it looked after months of use because of the case. To my horror, that wasn't the case at all.

The first thing I noticed was a slight mark on the front side.

[​IMG]

Not a big deal. Annoying but it's not anything that major.

Then I took a look at the lid.

I found 3 'pinhole' (?) marks near the bottom of it.

[​IMG]

How in the hell did that even happen?

But then the thing that really pissed me off, a DENT.

[​IMG]

Why? How?

Not once did I ever drop my Macbook, maybe a light toss of it on my bed but it would've hit the bottom anyway (which by the way, has no marks at all). So why would these marks happen? I can understand dirt getting caught in it but when I took it off there was nothing that would cause the 3 holes or the dent, and I shouldn't have to clean dirt out of it every 2 weeks to keep marks from happening.

I bought this solely to protect my Macbook, but it would be in better condition if I never put the case on anyway!

Is there anything that I can do about this? I seriously doubt that Speck would do anything to help, but I don't see how it's my fault when the product I paid $50 for didn't do as it was advertised.

Anyone else who owns one of these, be careful.

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I've always used Speck cases. Never had a problem. They are flat, that dent was clearly caused by something sharp and heavy... You have to clean them about once a month to prevent scratches but I've never had chips. I used them since the pre-unibody MBP days without incident. I have had better luck with the satin models, however, in regard to cracking and scratching they are far superior.

3. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thats odd I use Speck cases as well and have dropped my computer off my desk and never sustained any damage. Perhaps you got a defective case? They have always been top notch for me.

4. techfest macrumors member

u clearly did not read the instructions nor used common sense

u are suppose to take the case off once and a while not" after a few months".

like every couple of weeks. why? its not the case that scratched ur macbook, its the dust and debris that gets inside the case. (samething for a phoen case)

when that happens, its the debris that scratches ur macbook, not the case. its your own fault for not reading the box and using common sense.

ive used a speck see thru clear for 6 months! and my macbook is in PRISTINE condition. not a scratch or anything.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I have an Incase hardshell just like yours and I've seen a few dirt/dust mark ups on my laptop too, but not a dent...hopefully :X

But I do agree...these hardshells are crap! I rather go with a sleeve :X

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

good thing you had a case on your MBP ... you would hate to see the condition that abuse would cause with no case on it :apple:

7. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

But nothing sharp and/or heavy has ever hit my Macbook...

Maybe, I did notice that it had some sharp edges but I don't know how that would've caused these marks.

I did read the directions and iirc, it didn't say anything about how often you need to clean it. If it did, I know I would've remembered.

Yeah, the quality of it is kinda poor.

What abuse? Like I said I NEVER dropped it :rolleyes:

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

the case did not cause that dent ... something else did :apple:

9. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unless someone took my Macbook, removed the case and threw an iPhone at it, nothing else caused it.

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

My MBP has travelled a reasonable amount in a backpack.

I have no case.

I have no dents, markings, etc after 6 months.

No case is going to protect 100% from sufficiently careless handling or storage.

edit:
    that damage didn't just magically happen. If you haven't hurt your macbook - someone else has.

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

The case did not dent your laptop, plain and simple. Unless you took the case off and dropped it onto the computer... :rolleyes:

12. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Ummmmm I think I'd beg to differ, the dent says it all.

13. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then why don't one of you explain to me why I would go through the trouble making this thread if I knew that I caused the dent?

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

because you don't remember denting your MBP and are blaming the case ... when in fact the case saved the dent from being much worse :apple:

15. /user/me macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I swear to god, I never crashed my car into anything!!!!! It's all a lie and conspiracy!!! I'm an excellent driver. It wasn't my fault that my car got wrapped around a pole when I wasn't taking care of it properly!!!!

We done here? Ok, good.

[/BeatingDeadHorse]

16. dirtfan21 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (late 2006) with a speck clear hard covers and I have cleaned it every two weeks sense new. The speck has kept my MacBook looking like new condition. With the cover, keyboard protector and screen protector, my MacBook is awesome and these items are well worth it.....

17. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol but don't you think I'd notice if I dented my Macbook that badly? You say it 'would've been much worse' so surely I would've known if I hit my Macbook on something or dropped something onto it?

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

no ... if you had noticed when you dented your MBP ... you wouldn't have started this thread blaming the dent on the case

19. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

maybe your macbook was depressed for being imprisoned in an ugly case and developed a self-mutilation disorder...

20. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

There is no way a case put a dent on your Macbook. How would a cover do that? It would literally have to come to life and hit your Pro with something for the case to do that.
    Did you ever lend it out? Has anyone else used it besides you? Do you cary it in a backpack and maybe hit your backpack or bag? Did you hit it and forget about it? What I am saying is that these are all plausible scenarios, but no possible way that the case put that dent in it.

21. nickphoto macrumors newbie

And you care about this why? It's a laptop. Made of Aluminium - it's tough! Believe me. If I showed you photos of mine you'd probably call the police.

But, believe it or not. It still works - perfectly. Cosmetic appearance and aesthetics matter not.

22. jekyoo macrumors 6502

I run my mbp naked and it's in pristine condition. A case isn't needed.

23. techfest macrumors member

it says it on the box and the paper instructions

theres nothing more then to blame urself for being ignornant

24. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if any of you had tried this case on the MacBook aluminum. It has the same dimensions as the pro as far as I know, and from the look of the case, it looks like the 13" would work just fine. There's a bit more port room than necessary though on the left side. Any opinions?

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Speck cases have grown into the accepted mid-priced choice for Apple gear via heavy marketing, and having a presence in the Apple Stores.

Far from ideal, they serve the purpose of the average person that has moderate expectations and has never experienced true high quality.

For those of use who value our Macs and have no problem spending some money, far better choices are available. I have a wide selection of cases for variety, and to break up the boredom of using the same case every day.

A little research reveals that there are a lot of great choices for those discerning owners.