Speck Pixelskin HD for iPhone 5 thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Icealicy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Icealicy macrumors newbie

I seem to be interested in this case and was wondering on others thoughts about this case... Do any of you have the case?

Thanks.

2. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

The PixelSkin HD has been my fav case since the iPhone 4. I absolutely love it. Never ever had a single issue with them. I ordered my iP5 version on Friday morning, and it shipped out that afternoon. Based on shipping, I'll have it tomorrow...I'll drop by with some tidbits after I use it for a bit.

3. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Loved the iPhone 4 version. It was slim, durable, protected the phone well and never stretched out or anything.

4. Jburnette87 macrumors member

Jburnette87

I got one today from my work. Like it a lot. Wish it had a slightly bigger lip though.

5. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I had an issue with screen protector bubbling and I didn't like the feedback on the volume and power buttons (too stiff) on my 4. Liked everything else about this case a lot. How's the new version for the 5? Thanks!

6. Jburnette87 macrumors member

Jburnette87

Works great with my moshi ivisor. Power is SLIGHTLY stiff, volume buttons feel good.

7. Icealicy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input and yeah be sure to give your thoughts after using it...

I'm thinking of getting the pomodoro color... Well I actually wanted red but that's the closest color they have. Is pomodoro, which once again isn't exactly red, a little girly for guys?

8. Smtevo macrumors 6502

get the rocketfish case from Best Buy...it is exactly what the pixel skin hd is but not with the squares on the back.

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I wouldn't use a Rocketfish case if Best Buy was giving them away for free.

10. Smtevo macrumors 6502

why? have you physically held the one for the i5? its awesome, nothing wrong with it.

11. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

I love love love PixelSkin HD cases. I've bought them for all our iPhones and iPads, and can't wait for my iPhone 5 case order to arrive.

12. jmunter macrumors newbie

I have to agree with the Rocketfish, I bought it and it is almost exactly the same as my Speck case that I had on my 4. It's definitely a good case, extremely good fit and I don't see my self replacing it soon, only if I want something a little more exciting to look at.

13. Slabonski macrumors newbie

I just ordered the Rocketfish because I loved everything about my Pixelskin HD except the pixels on the back.

14. nickm81us macrumors member

nickm81us

Great case. The only reason I didn't buy one right off the bat was because BestBuy didn't have them in stock on Saturday when I went. Will likely be exchanging my current one for a PixelSkin soon.

15. swiftfix macrumors newbie

I placed my order Friday morning and it arrived today. So before I get into my impressions, hats off to Speck for awesome service.

Now as for the case... It looks and feels great. The buttons are all very responsive. The cutouts, too, are very nice.

For those of you who use screen protectors, I do not believe that this case will bubble or pull up your screen protector. I can say this because the case does not sit on top of the screen whatsoever, but rather slips around the aluminum boarder as a snap on case would.

My only gripe with the case, and it is a considerable one, is that it feels ever so slightly too big for the phone. Now I'm not worried about the phone falling out of the case, I just feel that the case has maybe half a millimeter of excess width. A very small amount, but still noticeable. For example, if you grab the cased phone with one hand as you would regularly hold it and with your other hand grip either the top or bottom corners and wiggle them back and forth, you can absolutely feel separation from the phone and the case.

I find this very disappointing because the Incipio NGP I used with my iPhone 4 felt like an extension of the phone itself. This, however, does not.

For those of you with the case, do you also notice an ever so slightly loose fit? I'm wondering if it may just be a defect with the case that I received.

16. scotsmith0718 macrumors newbie

Incipio Frequency

I picked up the Incipio Frequency at an AT&T store on launch day and I really like it so far. It fits the iP5 very well.

https://www.incipio.com/cases/iphon...e-5-frequency-semi-rigid-soft-shell-case.html

I previously had the Speck Pixelskin HD on my 4s and liked it as well other than the fact that the volume buttons and power button were too stiff. Buttons are very responsive on the Incipio and it feels like it is about the same material as the Pixelskin HD was for the 4s.

17. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

My friend has one for his 4S and I really like it.

It's also pretty well regarded as one of the best 4/4S cases around.

I'm banking on the same quality being there moving forward from last years cases so I ordered one.

If switcheasy comes out with an eclipse for the 5 I think I'll order one of those too, just so I can mix it up between that and the pixelskin hd.

18. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Had one on my 4, 4s and shortly my five. Best out of every case I've tried. Feels really good in the hand, offers good protection and is real easy to remove.

19. menist macrumors regular

menist

I use to have it on the 4/4S. Nice case, but the thing I don't like is that it peels the corners off the screen protector.

20. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Where did you guys find the PixelSkin HD for iPhone 5? Are any stores carrying them right now?

21. swiftfix macrumors newbie

Hate to say it, but at this point I think I actually prefer the Rocketfish case over the Pixelskin HD. My wife picked up a Rocketfish on Friday and I opted to order the Pixelskin HD for my phone. For me, it all comes down to how well the case fits. As I mentioned a few posts back, the Pixelskin HD does not fit perfectly snug, whereas the Rocketfish does...

Ordered mine off of the Speck website. However, for a brick and mortar reseller, I would check with Best Buy, Radioshack, or AT&T.

22. ryanmcv macrumors 6502a

ryanmcv

Thanks for the tip. I also have the black Rocketfish case from Best Buy. I do like it, but I miss the texture of the PixelSkin HD that I had on my 4S. I'll wait until I can try one in a local store and then make a decision.

23. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

Got mine in graphite today.. I absolutely love it. Even more so than the previous generations. Gonna test it a bit more before I do a full review. But overall, I'm impressed. High quality, great fit, fantastic cut-outs at the bottom.

24. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Just got mine in graphite today too. Looks great on the white phone. Will post pics later.

25. AnthonySmith macrumors 6502

AnthonySmith

This thread is useless without pics.

Waiting for some pics before I go ahead and purchase. I've had the black one on my 4 and 4S but it appears it's not available on their site, is on Amazon though. But Amazon says ships within 4-6 weeks. I don't want to wait that long. How does the graphite look with the black 5?