Speck PixelSkin HD: Review + HQ Pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cambookpro, Sep 2, 2010.

1. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

So, today my PixelSkin HD for iPhone 4 arrived in the post. I put it on straight away, tossing my bumper in the draw which 'computer stuff' lives! It's sturdy and feels a good TPU case. The volume buttons are easy to press, but the sleep/wake button isn't. Also when you do press it, there is no 'click' sound at all. On the upside, its lightweight but still protects the iPhone and has a big flash cutout. The silent rocker is also really easy to get to. Overall a good 8/10, the 2 points being lost by that sleep/wake button. Update: After a good day of use, screen protector is still absolutely fine. HQ pics below: (Click for full-size)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

how is the material?

does it attract dust, lint in your pocket?

3. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've only had it for an hour, so can't really say but looks like it won't attract dust.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I like the bigger hole for the flash as I've seen some rebound with my friend's case.

5. mhdena macrumors 6502

I got one yesterday, the material is hard/slick, not like the pliable silicone that came from boxwave which I think is better than this one. the sides are not as secure fitting as the bumper which actually fits quite well for me, so I imagine lint will eventually enter. I ordered a SGP Leather back guard and will keep using the bumper.

6. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

So I just sent an email to Speck about the sleep/wake button and got this:

No Problem! We offer a one year warranty on all our products. Just email me a picture of the defect, the product code (located on the inside of the case), a copy of your receipt (or proof that it was a part of the Apple Replacement Program) and you’re shipping address. We will email you when your product is shipped, please allow 2-3 weeks (which is subject to change), as we are working hard to get your replacement out to you!

Kind Regards,

janelle raaff | customer service

If they are manufacturing replacements, top work Speck!

7. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

So how do you take a picture of a button that is hard to push? :confused:

8. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Just sent them a pic of the button :D

9. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I would give it 2/10. Not only is the power button so hard to press that it actually hurts your finger after a while, it also does not work with screen protectors (makes them peal). Also, it's very cheaply made and you can see the where the material was injected into the mould. It also does not fit perfectly and clicks when you squeeze it.

There is no way this is a 8/10 case IMO.

10. Baker19 macrumors newbie

I love OEM and the speck cases but this one was also a failure for a friend it was a big letdown, I was all over the incipio feather, I'm loving it

11. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I would say this review is accurate and the rest that dont like it are being SUPER ANAL!!! Why? IT'S FRUCKING FREE JEEZ!!

12. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

13. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

How does it being free make it good? What weird logic you apply.

Free, $5, $30, $100... it's still crap case.

Oh, and how is 4 lines of text a "review"? No mention of the screen protector? And how can you review something you have had for less than a day? Everyone want to be a "reviewer" these days lol. Trouble is, with all the pro forum and youtube reviewers it becoming hard to google for proper professional reviews.

14. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

Well it was mainly for the pics. Since I had only had it for a day every so often I would update it with anything that happens. Jeez.

Oh and the screen protector I was using is some cheapo one from Amazon. A £2.49 job for 5.

15. Damo516 macrumors newbie

Thanks OP, nice to see some proper pics of the case, as I did think about getting one.

16. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

17. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Its a good case because I own one and use it. No need to diss anyone, if you dont like the review or my comment you dont have to post it. ............These forums are really getting bad....alot of people like YOU wasting forum space with your bull **** posts:confused:

18. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Ok, maybe i was being harsh on the OP. No real offensive was intended, please accept my apology. It was meant more tongue-in-cheek than anything, but reading back what i wrote i agree it seems unfair.

I was trying to make the point that every time i search for a "review" these days i have to wade through endless forum reviews and lame youtube videos from kids that need to get out of the house more often, but that's just MY opinion and a general rant that's not aimed at the OP or anyone here (i agree i seemed it was). I made the point badly.

However, i will say this - just as anyone is free to start a thread, people are free to respond with differing opinions. Apologies again to the OP, i was having a bad morning and i did not mean to make it so personal. But regarding the case itself, i stand by what i said - it has two major design flaws which make it usable for me (and most people who have one seem to say the same). The fact that it was free is besides the point and does not improve the case for me, a bad case is a bad case. If people disagree, well fair enough.

19. Hovey macrumors regular

I like it

I actually really like the case. I use it for my "casual" case and I use a Case-Mate tough case for at work. I like both. I've had no issues at all with the sleep/wake button. I modified a screen protector to work with the PixelSkin. The tough case works with full body protection.

I like user name metagamers on YouTube for case reviews. Very well done and professional.

20. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Agreed. In fact it was him that gave the original HD a good review and why i chose it. Gutted Speck changed the design for the case programme, poor show.

21. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

I received mine about a week ago and like it for what it's for...... considering it was free. Like others have mentioned, the sleep/wake button is my only beef with this case. Also, the case is slick, so it's a no go for those with butter fingers. On the other hand, I like the fact that it's real easy to take in and out of your pockets, and doesn't seem to attract lint or dust at all.

22. cambookpro thread starter macrumors 603

cambookpro

No worries. Speck are replacing the 'faulty' cases, so I'll see how they turn out.

23. flukewurm macrumors member

you must be a fun guy to be around...

24. LightMast macrumors regular

Just a note- my wife got her Pixelskin HD and hers is the nice rubbery feel like my 3g pixelskin, and the buttons are "clicky". Much nicer than my hard plasticky one.