Speck SeeThru Case for MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TimJim, Oct 23, 2007.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Has anybody here had any experience with a Speck SeeThru?

Im thinking about the black one but has anybody heard/experienced any bad things to their MB/P with this?

2. El Cid macrumors member

El Cid

I did not like the fit of my Spec case for MBP, so I replaced it with a techshell case. However, the fit of the Spec case on my MB was much better. My biggest complaint against the Spec MBP case was that it did not allow the computer screen to open fully.

3. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I have a clear for my 17MBP and I dont know why I waited to get it. Seemed pricey to me at first but I am glad I have it now. No problems to report thus far.

I feel much better now in handling it away from my office.

4. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

it didnt let it open fully? how so?

5. weckart macrumors 68040

I find that the current batch of Speck cases do not fit the MBPs properly. I tried a number at the Apple Store, and they did the same with their display laptops and all had the same problem - the cases did not clip on both sides of the base of the MBP being about 1-2mm too shallow to reach around. The lids were fine. I eventually found some old stock which was much better, but still not a perfect fit.

6. bailey35mm macrumors newbie

I have the clear Speck case for my SR 15in Mbp. I love it. I have had it for a month and so far has saved my computer from several scratches. It fits perfect, just be careful you get the newer cases that are made for the Santa Rosas.

7. halo1982 macrumors newbie

halo1982

I have the black case for my SR MacBook Pro.
    It's saved my computer from countless dings and dents in the month and a half I've had it. If you take off the shell, my MBP looks brand new!

8. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there any difference in the SR MBP case and the regular MBP case?

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I applied the red speck case the day I purchased my MBP. After 8 months I removed it for a cleaning and was pleasantly surprised to find a brand new casing without a single blemish. Meanwhile, the Speck has so many scratches!

10. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

Got mine (black) from amazon yesterday. A truly well engineered product. fits like a glove. Packaging is impressive too - so impressive that I've decided to save most of it!

11. jnyepu macrumors member

Have had a clear Speck case since 6/07 for my SR MBP and have had no complaints. Have not removed it yet, but no scratches on the laptop itself that I've noticed. The Speck case does have some scratches -- amazing to see even when one tries to be as gentle with the thing as possible. Not quite clear on the prior post regarding the case not fitting the top portion of the laptop -- pics if possible?

12. playstationdork macrumors newbie

cheap on ebay

I bought two of the clear ones on ebay for around 15bucks including shipping. With the clear, you can paint using ordinary spray paint on the inside. Just make sure that it is dry before you put the computer in it or it will stick to the computer. I painted one pink for my wife and one black for myself; I even went so far to tape off an inverted apple so that the light would shine through. Pretty cool, huh?

Why I removed these cases?

They clicked when you would move the computer and they added a lot of weight and thickness to the computer. It was too heavy for the hinges, so it made the screen close faster than it should have.

I thought the plastic would insulate my legs a little more, but it seemed to have the opposite effect as it felt hotter. Maybe the computer couldnt cool as well because of the case. I even bumped up the fan control, but that didnt seem to help. I cant quote any actual temperature readings as it was just my general perception.

Really, with the added weight and thickness, these cases made it feel a lot like a dell. If you really want them, I would check out ebay as they are way cheaper than the $50 msrp.

mike

13. carlop macrumors newbie

I was thinking of getting one of these as well fo rmy MBP.. are there any heat issues with it? my 2 week old MBP runs hot as it is...

14. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I have considered purchasing a speck case and have played around a bit at an electronics store near me (with a Macbook they had on display) and I must say I didn't like the top case for the lid...the Apple logo cutout looks awful.
    And while playing around with it a little I got a little concerned that the shell might scratch the macbook after all when removing and using it.

I have the full set invisible shield to protect my macbook and I think if you are looking for scratch protection skins (like shieldzones, bse, gelaskins, etc.) are a better solution.

15. weckart macrumors 68040

There is no specific SR case. The only revision was from the 1G CD MBPs to the 2G C2D MBPs because of the addition of the FW800 port.

Apart from this, I am finding the heat issues mentioned in this thread not in line with my experience nor that of reviewers who noticed no change in temperature whatsoever. The Speck looks as if it should insulate the heat in, thus making the laptop hotter but does not seem to.

Because of the poor fit, I am finding bits of grit and fluff stuck between the Speck and the laptop. So far only one small scratch on the hinge, where it was not fully protected by the Speck. Otherwise, I am finding that I need to remove the Speck regularly to clean. Mixed feelings on this and am looking for better fitting clones.

16. PJM macrumors newbie

I am just curious. The mbp is 1-inch high. How high is it after applying the speck case?

17. playstationdork macrumors newbie

It looks like it is 1 3/16" with the case on.

18. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i ended up buying one on ebay, installing it, and so far it's perfect.

19. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I have one for my MBP, clear, and I love it. I agree with the playstation poster.

20. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

21. TimJim thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got it on ebay for 11.01 shipped :)

22. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

How do you take the shell off?

I have a clear one on my MB since day one, I have never figured out how to take it off so I can clean my MB..lol!

I think its great though

23. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I have a cool Aqua colored one for my MBP and it, surprisingly, keeps my MBP 5 degrees cooler! I'm pretty pleased with it. :D
    It fits perfectly and I like the added color!

24. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

If that thing covers the bottom at all I would avoid it at all costs due to the fact that one of the MBP's main methods of cooling is via the bottom of the case.

25. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

It is damn hot already does it need to be closed more? Not my idea