Speck SeeThru Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shannighan, Mar 4, 2008.

?

What about it?

1. I LOVE it!

25.9%
  2. It's just OK.

29.6%
  3. I HATE it!

20.4%
  4. it scratched my laptop!

7.4%
  5. its a pain in the butt to get on and off.

11.1%
  6. oOoOoOo look at all the colors!

22.2%
  1. Shannighan macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

I used the check if already posted and clicked on a few threads, nothing seemed like what i was looking for.

i was wondering if anybody has a speck case?
    they seem pretty popular, so i was thinking about buying one.

what do you guys think of them?
    thanks.

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I got one for my sister for her MacBook and she seems to really like it. If nothing else, it makes her worry less about it breaking.

3. BowZinger macrumors member

my question is, for the people who claim it's a paint to put on and take off...why do you need to take it off?

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Cleaning. Says so in the instructions. If not, dirt can get trapped in there through the various holes including the 2 big ones inside and start and continue to scratch the MB casing.

It's meant as a scratch protectant and it has saved the wife from my wrath for scratching expensive electronics. There's a good size scratch on our spekcase that if it weren't there would have been on our MB.

5. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

to replace the battery as well

6. BowZinger macrumors member

7. nzoMD macrumors member

i got a clear case for my MBP.. I didn't want a color because i think the Al looks great. MB look awesome in color cases tho (roomy has one)

its meant to protect the laptop from scratches.. and the MBP scratches really easily so I am glad i bought one. Its extremely easy to put on.. and everyone who says its a pain to take off just do not know how to follow instructions b/c i took it off with ease.

If your like me who just likes to put ur laptop in ur backpack.. its a great case for it.

8. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

does it scratch you computer when you put it on or take it off?

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just my opinion.
    it makes the macbook/macbook pro look less classy.
    people it's APPLE and not United Colors of Benetton

10. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

haha, I would buy the clear one anyway.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

No, there's nothing in the way to scratch the MB.

It's actually called Choice. If someone wants pink to cover their white MB then it's their choice.

It's also called protecting an investment. Don't like colors? Get a clear one. If not spekcase, what about the people putting graphic skins?
    Choice and protecting an investment. Keeping minor scratches which will happen regardless of HOW well you take care of it to a minimum.

12. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

I like mine. I have a 250GB hard drive velcro'd on the back of the case to hold my itunes until the 500GB drives come out. I don't have to worry about putting stickers on it and it is extra protection for going thru TSA every week at least once and more protection on the show site. Haven't taken it off yet (been about 5 months), but after reading this maybe I should.

13. BlueScreenX macrumors member

BlueScreenX

I bought a black one so that my computer blends in with the rest of the windows machines on campus.... MBPs scream STEAL ME....

14. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

i saw a black speck at wegmans the otherday, looked nice.

15. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I agree you should. At least once every 2 weeks. These spec cases and any snap on case are not air tight. Dust and fine dirt can still get in between the case and the MB/MBP and once there it's trapped. I still have the inserts from the one I bought my wife and it does state:

So no points for grammer on the last line but it does state to do this regularly. I manage the MB at my home in regards to this so my wife doesn't have to worry about it. But your example of velcro'ing a HD to the case (which doesn't dmg the MB itself) is a good example of how these things can be useful. I've done similar to a dell and an ibm stinkpad (velcro'd usb wireless adapter) so I can see someone doing something similar.

16. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The incase hardshell case may be worth considering too. It's a bit bulkier, but I'm sure it would be more protective.

[​IMG]

17. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

shoot i really like how that looks but its only for MB right now, im buying a MBP :(

hopefully they will release one soon.

18. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Scratched my last 15" so stopped using them now.

19. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I love it! It's not for everyone, but it gives an extra bit of protection. It has definitely saved a couple of dents from happening and many a scratch. Carrying my computer to and from school makes me nervous, but computer case + Speck case = good protection!

20. shreddy macrumors regular

Any chance anyone has any real-world pics of the aqua MBP case? Thinking of getting one for a 17" I've ordered, but there only pic I've seen of this is the stock one on the speck website!

Any pics greatly appreciated :)

21. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

So I would assume that these cases do not hinder cooling at all? Macbooks seem to run pretty hot as-is, addding a layer of plastic wont cause overheating?

22. Shannighan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shannighan

no i dont think it block any of the inlet/ outlets

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Does anyone have pictures of this on their Macbooks? I'd be interested in buying a white or black one, but would prefer to see some natural pictures first.

24. shreddy macrumors regular

There's plenty of reviews out there (thanks Google!) that say heat isn't a problem - these cases have cutout slots for ventilation. I remember one review saying no change during a 1hr session, and just 4deg more over 4hrs or so. Plus you benefit if you use it on your lap as your no longer in direct contact with the MBP!

I've just ordered an aqua one for the 17" MBP on its way. Shame they only do clear, read and aqua for the 17"ers. Might take some pics when it comes if anyones interested.

25. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

A little late, but here some are. I love the color.

Attached Files: