Speck SeeThru Doesn't Protect MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toxicvarn90, Apr 8, 2008.

1. toxicvarn90 macrumors newbie

toxicvarn90

Hello macrumors, first poster here. Now for my first post I have a question: What is the point of this...
    [​IMG]

(the spek seethru)
    when it doesn't protect my Macbook pro from this...

[​IMG]

A small dent.
    Or worse from this...
    [​IMG]

A giant gapping hole?

I bought the spek seethru because it was the only way to protect my laptop since I carry it through school a lot. A bag I bought had a protection sleeve, but I just couldn't fit my laptop in it, so left it in another compartment that was only surrounded by the outer fabric of the bag.

I have been moving my bag around with the confidence of the spek protection. Over time, there were little bangs against tables and walls, sometimes I would let gravity place my bag on the ground from 1 inch up.

Then came my personal Black Tuesday. I wanted to take out a folder, so I placed my laptop bag on a bench between my friends leg (he was sitting on the table) while holding the bag up with my knee. My friend, not knowing about the bag, decides to bite my other friend's shoulder as a friendly gesture. He bites, he shoves me backwards a bit, my bag looses balance, and BANG! I quickly examine my MBPro for damage and see that gapping hole. CRAP!

I have tapped over that gapping hole for now to protect it from dust.

Let this be a lesson...the speck seethru is not an excuse to neglect the protection of your Mac Laptops.

Now I have a few questions before I go: 1. Can I continue to use my MBP with a tapped up hole (the laptop works thank God)? 2. I'm under applecare and I have a few other problems with my laptop. The audio output only sends sound to one side of an earphone and my laptop makes a buzzing noise under low display light. Will these dents give Apple a reason to pull a fast one on me and charge these under-warranty problems alongside the refurbishing of the dents? 3. How much is it going to cost to fix the casing?

2. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Not to be an Apple apologist, but the physical damage is evidence of negligence/dropping and will basically give Apple an out for covering anything under warranty. No way to really prove it was their fault for a manufacturing defect versus "user error."

As for a hole in the computer...if it works and nothing falls into there I don't see why not. Think of it as a speed hole. ;)

And for case repair/replacement, probably a few hundred bucks if you do it yourself.

3. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

They are two thin plastic pieces put together. What do you expect?

I would be thankful for the speck case that your MBP is still useable.

4. calvy macrumors 65816

I personally think the Speck cases suck. They scratch the crap out of the machine and they get scratched themselves, looking cheap and ugly. But to each their own. Obviously some people like them.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have had no problems with my speck case. I dont know how people scratch their MBP with it, unless they take it off and put it back on everyday or eat over it and get crumbs sandwiched between the case and the MBP.. It does its job. But its not meant for impact protection. Only scratch protection.

6. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am sorry that you MBP got dented but it was unarguably a clear example of reckless behavior on your part.

In my experience the Speck also scratched the front of my MBP even though I babied it and as such I removed it, never buying one again. I am somewhat relieved that even a small fall like yours can dent the computer with a Speck on, further adding to back up my decision.

Thanks for posting this, although I am sorry that it had to hurt... :(

7. iBecks macrumors 6502

I second this, I've not had one scratch on my MBP whilst using a speck shell.

I have taken the shell off and the MBP looks brand new, I'm sure that if I wasn't using the speck shell there would be scratches all over it, so I'm happy using one.

8. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

about the repairs:

yes, the damage from dropping would cause the technician to think that it had something to do with the problem with the earphones. Since that area that is bent near the expresscard is located near the I/O board. You probably wont be able to get that fixed under warranty.

on another note, i dont know why people believe a hard shell with no material for absorption would protect the MBP from a fall. It clearly does not have the ability to absorb impact and people shouldn't expect it to. its evident that its only to prevent scratching.

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You choose a flimsy, quite badly engineered machine and protect it with something that's geared towards convenience and looks rather than absolute protection (and it is obvious) and are puzzled when it is damaged by a fall?

I have to replace or rotate my MBP's among the spares that we have at the office when they're bent. I have them partly as a means to project a certain type of image when I'm outside and dents are not good for image. I sold my personal machines (perfectly serviceable, but bent) twice now, and more or less permanently lent out a third all due to cosmetic damage.

On average, I'd say once in every ten times that I take a for-work MBP out it sustains some sort of cosmetic damage that is serious enough to warrant a repair rotation under what I consider normal handling in a bag that provides normal, but not super level of protection that my Vaio's, Dells and Lenovos are perfectly happy to live in. A drop from knee height in a padded laptop specific bag onto an uneven surface is enough to cause a noticeable dent.

MBP's are fragile (and if anyone dredges up the bullet pic, if you hit any laptop at the most rigid part of its frame as in that scenario it will stand up just as well) and you should be careful.

Sorry to see the damage it incurred but it's going to be expensive, since not only do you have shell damage but also likely a mobo replacement (if Apple does the repair). Possibility of home contents insurance covering it?

10. toxicvarn90 thread starter macrumors newbie

toxicvarn90

Well looks like I'm beat. Looks like I have to send it to a local service provider, but not apple. Genius bar is a great place for minor problems, but I have heard stories of geek squad like handling of machines under their care.

After this, I'm thinking how road warriors who are going to buy the apple air supposed to keep their laptop in top shape when its going to be banged around in air planes? Apple should create a tough notebook like panasonic did so it would at least survive for a year and we wouldn't have stories of Charlie Rose face planting to protect his apple air: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/17/charlie-rose-face-plants-to-save-his-macbook-air/

11. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I have had Speck cases on two 15" MBPs and they have done exactly what I expected: protect the MBP from daily wear and tear, such as scratches, nothing more. To expect the Speck case (or any thin plastic case, for that matter) to protect your MBP from being dropped on to a hard surface is unrealistic.

If you need this level of protection you'll need a case that is far more substantial than the Speck cases will ever be.

MacDann

12. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

I expect nothing more out of my Speck Cases then good looks and over all wear and tear protection. They do that and they advertise they do much more than that.

As far as Using the dings and dents as an "out". I dont think they would use it as an out I think it would be just plain justified reason for them not repairing it. Especially since your audio ports lie right where the most serious damage is. No wonder it isnt working. I am actually impressed the machine runs at all. As for the buzzing I had that on an old MBP and it turned out to be the Motherboard. Almost sounds like a fluorescent bulb.

Kevin

13. fredrickyoon macrumors regular

fredrickyoon

The Speck Clear case merely protects the MacBook Pro, and after normal use, wear and tear, the case will get scratched up. I took mine off after hearing reports from other fellow members that taking the Speck Clear case on and off of the MacBook Pro scratches the unit.

Ended up putting on the full shield (Invisible Shield) protected by the Tuscano 17 inch case, with no issues so far. It even looks shinier and glossy.

14. soms macrumors 6502

soms

QFT

Its your own fault for thinking that plastic is stronger than metal. Sorry but its not.

15. RandiC macrumors member

You paid $2000.00+ for a laptop or Mom and Dad did! From what you say in your post you need a $200.00 laptop and a steel case. As for Apple fixing it under warranty thats like smashing your car and asking ford to fix it for free. WOW!!!!!!!!!!

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This has been my complaint about MBPs/PBs forever. They just aren't made for mobility. Do yourself a favor and get an MB. I just got a BlackBook and it's been fine so far and it goes eveywhere with me. My old iBook got dropped nine times over 4 years and was fine. All I ever had was a small, barely noticable crack on one corner. Now- you can't throw one across a room and expect it to be OK, but for someone who is mobile every day, a MBP just isn't the way to go.

17. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Where is the "Most ridiculous post ever posted" button? I desperately want to hit it.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm sorry it's ridiculous due to it not fitting into your Apple-worshipping meme. However, I call it like I see - and use - it.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed- Your post was hardly ridiculous. I've been dying for a pro laptop from Apple that's more durable. From the rumors lately, it appears that I won't even have that option on a consumer model soon. A huge disappointment, as I may have to leave Apple as far as the laptop goes.

20. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Having carried laptops everywhere I go, all day long for more than a decade and a MBP for about 6 months now, with nary a dent or scratch on it, I can say that either your post is either grossly exaggerated or I suddenly became the luckiest bastard on the face of the earth.

If that makes me an Apple worshiper, then so be it. I think it's more likely you are exaggerating quite a bit.

PS> Sometimes it sucks to be a real person on this forum. Half the people criticize you for worshiping Apple, and the other half criticize you for being a hater.

Apple has plenty of problems. The MBP being a bad design is NOT one of them. But it is good for a laugh. Thanks.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- you're full of yourself a little bit. I don't know where you live or if you have to take public trans, but for those of us who do, a durable laptop is essential- and an aluminum one simply doesn't fit the bill. On any given day someone can bump into me on the train, bus or street and:

a. knock my laptop bag off my shoulder and down it goes.
    b. bump into my laptop while I'm trying to get some last minute work done.
    c. the train or bus can stop suddenly, slamming the laptop into the seat in front of me.
    d. my shoulder strap could break and down it goes.

All of these things have happened to me and then some. A MBP is simply NOT durable enough to take any of that abuse, PERIOD. My iBook took it all over four years just fine though, and I suspect my BlackBook will too.

PS> Sometimes it sucks to be a real person on this forum.

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Speck casing has protected my laptop from ALL scratches over the last year. I have not submitted my MBPro to the abuses you have and there are 0 dents or defects.

23. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

end of the day if you wanted durable then im affraid to say dont go for a macbook pro because of the alu they are prone to scratches and dents more than others lappys.

Then again other laptops dont look so damn good do they ??

i have a speck case and yes they are overrated for the money but i think they do the job of protecting the mbp ok , you CANNOT expect it to stop dents.

I even use a seethru case on my macbook so if you want to keep your laptop perfect you need to baby it and have a damn good bag.

Although Apple do not help matters with their use of soft materials and delicate design but they never advertised their laptops as rugged now did they ?? want that then look at the panasonic toughbook.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Speck cover is more of a preference thing to give your computer a nice color while protecting against occasional scratching. If you want to protect against drops, you will something in the lines of a Pelican case.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My Speck does its job, I imagine that any scratches that the Speck puts on my case are probably minor compared to others that could have occurred. Having owned 4 17" Apple Notebooks, the Speck is worth it. It's not made to protect against drops or things that cause dents like that, nor is it advertised or expected to. Those dents are from major drops, dents and dings, not something that the Speck made worse, maybe demoralizing.

I clean my Speck case every two weeks, with that said, I am waiting for the Incase Hard Shell to come out for the Macbook Pro, I fee my Macbook is way better prepared.