Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I carry my macbook pro in a speck case, in a marware sportfolio, in my backpack everyday to class and as I bike to and from campus. No dents or scratches yet. If i fall off my bike and land on my back I dont expect much to come of my MBP, any laptop short of a toughbook will not survive.

Its just the way people handle them. I consider the MBP very mobile. drop resilience doesnt detract from how mobile a computer is. For increased everyday durability, get a Thinkpad those are extremely sturdy.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wow- you're full of yourself a little bit. I don't know where you live or if you have to take public trans, but for those of us who do, a durable laptop is essential- and an aluminum one simply doesn't fit the bill. On any given day someone can bump into me on the train, bus or street and:

a. knock my laptop bag off my shoulder and down it goes.
b. bump into my laptop while I'm trying to get some last minute work done.
c. the train or bus can stop suddenly, slamming the laptop into the seat in front of me.
d. my shoulder strap could break and down it goes.

All of these things have happened to me and then some. A MBP is simply NOT durable enough to take any of that abuse, PERIOD. My iBook took it all over four years just fine though, and I suspect my BlackBook will too.

PS> Sometimes it sucks to be a real person on this forum.

I carry my MBP in my brenthaven bag. I challenge you to get a running start from 30 feet out and tackle me with my bag rugby style. I guarantee my MBP will still look new. :D I guess we all have different coordination level. Or it could be that when you value something so much you are constantly aware of it.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Genius bar is a great place for minor problems, but I have heard stories of geek squad like handling of machines under their care.

My experience confirms this. The way one of them handled my virtually new machine when I took it in to ask some questions was heavy-handed and more like what you'd expect to see in a grocery store rather than an environment of precision instruments. The clown actually left a small but annoying mark on the base surface of the computer when he clunked it down on a metal-pronged power adapter sitting on his work surface. When I asked him to please be more careful, he looked at me as if I was a lunatic. If that's the way they handle things in the owner's presence, I dread to think what they might do to a pristine machine behind closed doors.

toxicvarn90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
QFT

Its your own fault for thinking that plastic is stronger than metal. Sorry but its not.

I know, I know. I was just hoping the plastic would take SOME of the shock of the impact. I have a crack on the seethru on its back where a dent or worse would have appeared on my MBP if it wasn't for the plastic.

Speck should just stop advertising that it's plastic is made with polycarbonate as if it's some magical plastic that is super hard. DVD's are made out of it.

Now- you can't throw one across a room and expect it to be OK, but for someone who is mobile every day, a MBP just isn't the way to go.

I need MBP cause I use Final Cut and I need a faster graphics card, so I can't give it up. I wish I had money for macbook, but that money has to go straight to repairs.

Apple has plenty of problems. The MBP being a bad design is NOT one of them. But it is good for a laugh. Thanks.

I never said it was badly designed. All I know is that Apple designs their products to look good and yes the MBP is somewhat durable with it's aluminum, but like all metals it bends. The corner bent on mine and it popped out the cover lid as you can see in the original post. The amazing thing about the MBP is how it's still functions after extreme disasters. it's been ran over on: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/this-is-what-a-car-crushed-macbook-pro-looks-like-289954.php & it's been shot at http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/26/macbook-pro-takes-bullet-like-a-champ/ & it still works, but it still working and it still being usable are two different things. For example, my lid barely closes and it puts stress on the screen, so the fact I'm still typing on this thing, doesn't makes the situation any better.

BTW My sister still has her bulky compaq (made out of...gasp...plastic, which breaks not bends) and that thing endured more stress test than a laboratory has time for and it STILL is in top shape.

Somedays I wish Apple would release their sublime OS for IBM clones, but sadly that will make them loose profit and I don't want Apple to suffer the same pirating problem as Microsoft is suffering.

PS > Thanks for the advice e12a, I will invest in the sportfolio, looks better and more efficient than this piece of crap from office depot.

hppenterprises

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
Saint Simons Island, GA
Hi,
We've sold the Speck cases for years - they are great cases. But they are NOT meant to protect from that type of damage. The protection they offer is more cosmetic and surface ... ie. scratches, spills, etc. Even a spill would only give so much protection. However, when I see the scratches all over MY Speck Case (I have the MB15-GRN-SEE - Green 15"), I realize just how much protection it really HAS given the lid of my MacBook Pro.

I had my MacBook Pro in my Samsonite briefcase last year, it was in the padded compartment, but as I attempted to lock the office door, my briefcase shoulder strap slid off my shoulder, and down my arm ... so the bag fell from about waist high to the floor - a ceramic tile floor.

It jarred it enough that the display was toast ... but there wasn't any dings or dents in it. Luckily, Apple Care serviced it under full warranty.

HPP

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I may be one of the only few, but I actually don't mind the look of my speck clear case. I can't tell you how many people come by to see what type of laptop I have or ask what the shell is and how they can get one. I don't know about the other colors, but I like the clear one as it has the least amount of effect on the looks of the mbp.

I'm not too clear on how some of you have said that you seem to have scratches under the casing. I can't see that with mine, and am wondering if there is more care that I should be considering just in case. The speck case has not only protected my mbp from the scratches that I see on the case, but I'm certain that it has protected it from minor dings. I've had other aluminum powerbooks and macbook pros that have had little pen-point sized dings and they were just annoying to look at. Those dings are so much worse than any scratch. It made me to weary sometimes to take the laptop out. Not anymore with the speck case.

It may be stupid or foolish, but the speck case has given me more security when handling my mbp. Whichever laptop I get, I will be looking to get the clear case. Maybe there is something better than speck, but definitely a hard case. Unfortunately, it doesn't protect during falls, but I can't imagine my laptop now without it.

Barret Oliver

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
I'm curious for all you Speck cover users. Does having that case on cause the laptop to heat up more quickly when using processor-intensive apps? I always thought that the part of the aluminum design of the powerbook/macbook had to do with heat dissipation?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I carry my MBP in my brenthaven bag. I challenge you to get a running start from 30 feet out and tackle me with my bag rugby style. I guarantee my MBP will still look new. :D I guess we all have different coordination level. Or it could be that when you value something so much you are constantly aware of it.

I've got mine inside a Targus laptop bag and also in an Incase sleeve. That should be pretty safe for most computers, but it doesn't protect you from drops outside of the bag or a quick stop on the train or bus when you're working.

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
I have had no problems with my speck case.

I have significant dust and grit accumulation on the bottom front between my MBP and the clear Speck case (along the DVD slot side of the unit). My hunch is that it's scratching the aluminum, but I haven't removed the case to confirm.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
I have significant dust and grit accumulation on the bottom front between my MBP and the clear Speck case (along the DVD slot side of the unit). My hunch is that it's scratching the aluminum, but I haven't removed the case to confirm.

Just take the case off and wipe it down.

I've sold my old macbook pro sans case that was protected for most of its life by speck. The buyer was surprised at how good it looked when he picked it up.

to the OP, the sportfolio is a pretty good case. I dont know why more people get it, I guess they're more into the rucksack fashion. it provides pretty good protection from bumps (not drops :)) and books in my backpack, the neoprene provides pretty good cushioning. Plus I can carry a lot of things in the side pocket as well. I once carried my 3.5" hard drive enclosure and its power brick alon with a small laptop mouse, the MBP's power brick, remote, "everything else" DVDs, and dvi-vga adapter. though the bag looked like it had a huge lump on the side.

nzoMD

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Diego
are you dropping your laptop or something? you should have bought something more heavy-duty like armor if you were not going to be very responsible with a $2,000+ piece of hardware.

I use a speck case as well, I just took it off to see if there was any scratches to the MBP and there was none. There seems to be dust that builds up near the edges of the case but thats nothing a tissue cant take care off. The speck case itself is full of scratches while the MBP looks like it just came out the box. But I am also not dropping or neglecting it.

toxicvarn90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
It jarred it enough that the display was toast ... but there wasn't any dings or dents in it. Luckily, Apple Care serviced it under full warranty.

HPP

How did Apple Care service it when you dropped it? I thought they don't cover accidents. And did you have it serviced at the Genius Bar or a third party service provider?

I've got mine inside a Targus laptop bag

Same here, but my MBP doesn't fit in the laptop slot, it's too big (especially with the speck case). What model do you have?

BTW e12a, does the sportfolio have a place to put my books and writing tools with or does it just support the MBP and accessories?

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
=

BTW e12a, does the sportfolio have a place to put my books and writing tools with or does it just support the MBP and accessories?

haha you might be able to squeeze a 1" thick book on the elastic pocket on the side, but beware, the elastic nature of the pocket may press the object against the macbook pro. The zippered pocket on the other should be used for accessories only. Its best to carry a small book and papers in either pocket. you can store writing utensils in the zippered pocket on one side. Marware was smart enough to put the plastic sheet between the Macbook's compartment and the zippered pocket.

civilianlab

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2008
Long Beach, CA
How MacBook Protection Works.

The Speck cover is more of a preference thing to give your computer a nice color while protecting against occasional scratching. If you want to protect against drops, you will something in the lines of a Pelican case.

If you want a computer to resist this kind of damage you need to use a case that can decellerate the contents a bit slower than a concrete floor will. So
a case with some padding and a tougher outer shell. The outer shell will prevent scratching through to the computer while the foam will slow it down
a few miliseconds so it does not take the impact at the same speed as without the case. A hard shell, or even a thin neoprene case transfers the impact force directly into the laptop as if there was no case at all.

Check out some of the civilianlab.com 'Manila' leather padded sleeves or ones from another reputable manufacturer and leave the hard-shells as a last line of defense from scratches; It's much easier to replace a Speck then to replace the MacBook casing.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
i use a wenger swiss gear back pack with my Classic MBP 15 and previously used the same brand messenger bag. Dropped both from bout 4 ft. No damage. Also, i use a Incase Hardcase. Works great, no dust intrusion. Had it on all semester @ school, take it every where, it's a good set up. The black incase also looks sleek and not cheap like the speck. If you are responsible as a jr high girl then you probably shouldn't have a mbp. If you cant take care of your computer you prob need a sad lil dell lol.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Two words:

Incase HardCase

FTMFW

I bought one of these babies for my brand new MBP and took it off after about 3 months of rigerous use.

NO damage. At all. Nothing. No scratches around where it clamps. No scratches on the top or bottom, just nothing. Looks like I just pulled it out of the box.

As for the Speck, it won't protect you from a Speck of damage (sorry I had to).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.