Speck's FitFolio for the new iPad out! and it aint pretty

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ElDogman, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're right, that is in interesting choice of designs. The gray is not too bad at all but frankly I can see it not being everyone's cup of tea.

3. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I agree. I think a blue plaid with gray would have been a little better, but again, not everyones style.

4. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

5. skh41 macrumors newbie

States other colors

I too was at first surprised by the two choices.... but there will be other choices, maybe not shown yet.... I cut and pasted the below from their website...

"FitFolio is available in vegan leather or an array of all-new fabrics designed to match your personality".

6. tuan time macrumors regular

Is there going to be a candyshell variant for the new iPad? Or should I just go with the one for the iPad 2?

7. Arid macrumors member

Arid

That's really too bad! I'm still waiting to see what their new Smartshell will look like.

8. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

yeah i noticed that too.. I'm guessing the vegan leather models will come out later?

aside from the strange initial designs, another thing I didnt like is the plastic snap enclosure. it looks cheap. you'd figure they'd use magnets to keep the lid secure.

all in all, was holding out not buying Devicewear The Ridge to see if the Fitfolio would be better, since they are very very similar in design and that speck might make a higher quality version of the same design.. but now I'm feeling The Ridge is the way to go.

9. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

Does the old candy shell fit?

10. batotman macrumors 6502

That is pretty much the ugliest case I've ever seen. Wow. Just wow. I had high hopes, too.

11. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

fortunately they uploaded the black vegan leather version
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so what do yall think.. Speck FitFolio black vs Devicewear Ridge?
    with out seeing it in person, can't tell if the plastic shell part is nice on both (or cheap on both), or if the fitfolio also has the curved edges.. the main difference seems to be the plastic snap closure on the Speck versus the magnetic one on the Ridge

where's Psychonaut when you need him :)

12. erawsd macrumors 6502

These are suppose to be in Target stores by the 15th, so I think I'm going to wait and get hands on with it in store to see if the quality is better than the Devicewear.

I do like the idea of that clasp. While at work I carry my iPad around in just the folio and all the magnetic cases I've had so far (Ridge, Canvas) have a problem with constant clicking from sleep/wake activating. My worry is that the clasp will make it awkward to hold in book mode.

13. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

hmm you might like the Belkin Leather Cinema Folio. same vegan leather as the ridge and fitfolio, but it doesn't use the "tongue" design where the leather piece is attached to the shell to achieve its viewing angle. Instead another leather piece is attached to the exterior and moves inwards to make it angled. it has a tab that has a magnetic end that holds the folio together when closed.

in book mode you can bend it backward and it'll hold the lid back too.
    since it doesn't use a shell, the ipad is held in place by four rubber corners, which means that the sides and front/back edges are exposed.. (easy access to switches but also less protection).

for me the problem so far is that the magnetic auto off/on switch isnt working, although others claim it does.

14. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

This looks almost identicle to the devicewear that I just got, but I am betting the quality of the material will be better as it is Speck. Part of my leather cover where the cover meets the plastic shell was not glued in place well and I am having to superglue it back in place. :eek:

15. AGIPSY macrumors regular

they just posted teal and purple vegan leather options too.

16. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I'm going with the Devicewear since the shell of the Fit still leaves areas exposed.

17. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Ordered one. Been waiting for this case actually so nice that it's finally out. Look exactly the same as the iPad 2 version with the exception of the snap closure. Imma little iffy on that one but we'll see how it looks in real life.

18. batotman macrumors 6502

Saw they added more colors today.

But still....

[​IMG]

KILL IT WITH FIRE! :eek:

19. batman75 macrumors 6502a

This is the kind of dumb **** that happens when you empower your employees.

20. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

does it? the shells on both look like it covers the same areas.

21. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

The Ridge has a solid back while the FitFolio has two exposed gaps. It's hard to see on the picture of the black one but you can tell by looking at the lighter colored ones.

Just watch the Metagamers' review of the previous model and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cHKlLZbTw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

22. ElDogman thread starter macrumors 6502

ElDogman

thanks that video explained alot. guess i'm crossing Speck off the list!

23. batotman macrumors 6502

It looks indented but not exposed like the older one. I could be wrong.

24. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

I think that is just a reflection of the case color that makes it look that way in the pictures. Speck confirmed to me via their Facebook page that it does still have the same shell design.

25. Tissie macrumors member

I am more worried about the material falling apart on the backside as seen in the metagamers review.