speculation - app store open tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shk718, Jul 7, 2008.

1. shk718 macrumors 6502a

this article says there is speculation that the app store will open tomorrow.

what do you think?

i think friday makes more sense. but if it does this raises a question - do we own anything bought on it or is it tied to the phone it was purchased for - like most computer software. so if i buy something and then get a new iphone will i be able to transfer it over to it? i think it will be treated like music purchased on itunes and i will own it not my device.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/07/here-comes-the-iphone-app-store/

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Tied to your iTunes account - not a particular phone.

There's no way they'll open it tomorrow.

3. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's not gonna be a lot of use to you unless you have itunes 7.7... so yeah they can open it, but how would you know?

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A345 Safari/525.20)

I can see it launching for the beta testers/devs to play with. They already have 2.0 and iTunes 7.7.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

I doubt it will be online until Thursday night/Friday. It will definitely not be open for business until then, since today at noon PDT is the deadline to submit apps with the possibility of being included on launch day, and the turnaround time for reviewing apps is 2-3 days.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

as I said in another thread, I very highly doubt it'll be up until Friday morning. The leaked AT&T memo instructs the AT&T people to put the demo units out Thurday night after closing, but not to download any apps until the following morning. Why would they make them wait and be more in a time crunch to get the software up and running on the phones when they could do it the night before? Only real reason this could be is because it won't be up the night before

Of course, this now comes into question due to New Zealand having a store doing a midnight launch... assuming they're able to go through with that launch and don't get scolded by Apple, the store would have to be up for them

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Each region will most likely have its own version of the store that can be opened independently of the rest. So it could be online for NZ without being available to the rest of the world.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

a leaked AT&T memo said that iphone 3g displays will be available from tomorrow (tuesday), and all features, including the store, will function

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you'd read the memo, it clearly states that they won't go on display until after closing on Thursday night.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

oh ok sorry
    i can't be bothered to read the memo as im in the UK so at&t dont matter to me...

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

It will probably be a similar process with O2, though.

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It has to be like music (only you can download as many times as you want). It's just too easy to delete it off the iPhone (ex. Sure, if you buy it on the computer, there's really no excuse...but what about on the iPhone itself? You can't delete music on the iPhone directly. However to delete an app, all you have to do is tap and hold, then tap the x and tap uninstall. I can see a few people accidentally trying to delete a web app and accidentally delete an app [kinda like how on Windows Vista, most people just click allow without reading])

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You couldn't be bothered to read the memo but could be bothered to comment on it? Way to go.

14. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I think it makes sense to release the firmware update/app store before the 11th so that iTunes does not crash with all the activations and people downloading firmware all at once.

15. elbirth macrumors 65816

that seems like it would be a lot of trouble to open the store based on region. all of the apps will be in all the "stores" anyway, so it's not like you'll only see apps from developers in your country

16. philgilder macrumors 68000

afaik apps sync to and from the computer, so if theyre on the phone, theyre on the computer

this thread is about the app store, not at&t
    i just read a quote from the memo on macrumors.com

17. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Apple's official press release states July 11th as the date iPhone OS 2.0 launches, and the App Store is part of that.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

No they won't. Developers have the option of specifying the regions they want their apps to be available in. It will be just like the regular iTunes store where different regions have different content.

It would be a mess if everyone had to sort through apps that are in a language they don't even understand in order to find what they want.

20. geeb macrumors regular

You can download the latest iTunes beta with the instore activation feature if you google.

21. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

True, but at 5am EST on Thursday, June 10th is 12:01am June 11th in New Zeland. So...it would make sense that the App Store is up and running by then.

I wouldn't be suprised if it is up and running on Wed. sometime.

22. admanimal macrumors 68040

Like I said, the store doesn't have to be available everywhere in the world at the same time. Every region does not necessarily get identical content.

23. robhedin macrumors regular

Actually, that's pretty much the way it's going to work. By default applications are published to all regions-- the developer has to go out of his/her way to change that.

At WWDC it was recommended publishing globally using your own language for everyone if you couldn't get the localization translation done professionally.

I know of several applications that are going out exactly like this and are already ready for sale through the App Store (whenever it opens) in all regions.

rob.

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

I wasn't aware that making them global was the recommendation for non-localized apps. I assumed that devs would only support making them available in regions that officially speak the languages they support, which is what I did with mine.

25. aethelbert macrumors 601

or... we could obtain our software legally when it's actually worthwhile to do so (ie, the new stuff functions)...