Speculation: Macbook Pro Future Update

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ValinS, Mar 31, 2008.

1. ValinS macrumors newbie

Ok I know we just got hit by the newest MBP's but I always think I bit of speculation is fun. :D

So the current spec MBP's are pretty high end but here's what I think we could be seeing by next January.

15' inch & 17' inch OLED screens ( I think this is highly possible as OLED will be fairly mainstream by the end of the year.)

Intel Nehalem Processors 3.0 & 3.2 Dual's and for the highest spec 2.4 Quad mobile processor. ( Intel have said it's coming and I can't see apple not intergrating the newest and best intel tech in their top of the range notebooks)

Montevina Chipset, DDR3 support and lower power consumption it's a shoe in.

Standard 2GB DDR3 1066Ghz, Option for 4GB 1333Ghz in high end model.

Graphics Card I'm assuming that nvidia will release a 9600M model for use but it could go the way that intel go into the card market and pressure apple into putting their card in the MBP.

HDD 500GB 7200rpm ( 2.5' are available now. ) High end will offer 200 GB SSD (Hell right now they are offering 256GB SSD's. )

SuperDrive as Standard with option for Blu-RayR (It's gona happen but it will be options as not everyone needs it. )

Enhanced multitouch, Movement recognition through isight camera ( Minority Report anyone? ) Probably same backlit keyboard.

Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0 and Just wondering will USB 3.0 be ready by then?

So that's what I think anyone else got some speculation?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There won't be Blu-ray in the MacBook Pro before it's in the Mac Pro. I can see both options coming out simultaneously, though (WWDC '08, anyone?).

I don't see 15" OLED screens being cheap enough to put in a laptop this year, much less 17".

Other than USB 3 and the Minority Reportness, everything else about this update sounds great!

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I doubt blu ray will be coming this year, they will keep LED because they just switched the 17" to it, USB 3.0 probably won't come but more USBs hopefully will come. I hope there will be an enhanced graphics card but i am a bit doubtful.

ChrisN7

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Wow, your post is very newbish... there is no way in hell there will be a 500GB 7200 rpm option when the current 500GB 2.5" models are both 5400 rpm and there isn't even a 250GB 7200 rpm option by any manufactures... and I don't mean vaporware.... I mean a real "I can buy it NOW" model. Even if there was there isn't a 320GB 7200 rpm option yet.

As for the SSD... the 256GB option is close to $6000. No way in hell Apple will offer that.

There won't be a dual 3.0/3.2 GHz chip, I ordered the current 17" MBP, but I am still waiting for the dual 2.8 GHz chip, which in the next model may only be a BTO option with dual 2.6 standard. There will hopefully be a quad core option but I don't think we will see it clocked at 2.4 GHz, maybe at 2.6, and that's only if Apple does a heavy redesign of the MBP casing to allow for cooling of the chip, which is the main problem with the current model IMHO.

The Blu-Ray option seems nice, but as was said it won't happen before the Mac Pro, and as many have said, Blu Ray is over rated, but will definitely be a need in the coming years.

There hopefully won't be any more USB ports since most high end users are asking for more FW ports. The two USB ports on the 15" are useful and I can see why someone would want more, but if you have to attach an AJA IO HD to the FW800 port but still need an external HDD you're screwed, since the AJA doesn't daisy chain, and needs all the bandwidth of the FW800 port. There needs to be more FW ports on it, at least the 17" model.

5. duykur macrumors regular

there are 320gb 7200rpm drives out look here

6. ValinS thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I mean't 500GB 5400rpm HDD just got a bit carried away :D

As for newbish I've owned macs since OS 7 ( Back in the day of the Smiling logo :D ) And I've been building PCs for friends for a while to make some extra cash.

Also It's speculation, 200GB SSD for $1000? Maybe not now but start of next year it could happen.

There is a Core 2 Duo from intel at the moment thats factory clocked at 3Ghz and it's on sale a $200. I don't see why nehalem running cooler won't be able to increase that clockspeed.

There also some motionless cooling devise coming in soon I read about it on engadget but hopefully that and other techs will sort out the cooling problem.

And as for blu-ray apple can release it whenever as an option hell the macpro could have and option for one by the end of the month if apple wanted it to. I'm just saying by next January it could happen.

Oh by the way I didn't mean more USB port i was meaning to say that could it have The new USB 3.0 like they were showing in September http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070918-intel-announces-demonstrates-usb-3-0.html It could happen. :D

7. ValinS thread starter macrumors newbie

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

No i think newbieish is prolly the best word to describe your posts;)

i think you fail to realize that apple DOSENT use the latest and greatest tech on their machines, why else dose the macpro come with an x1900??

why is a 300gb 4000rpm drive as the highest available on the MBP??

newbies (again, not saying you, we have lots of speculation posts) just like to come in here alot and talk about all of the latest and greatest hardware, speculation is fun as you say, but realistically

heres what i think: mid to late 08, if not MWSF 09
    2.5 base model, 2.8 on the higher end(maybe depends on release date), and 17" (quad core? eh, not quite yet, late 09)

keeping the current LCD

250 gb drive standard, options for 320 5400rpm

god i hope they keep the current keyboard, and with the new multitouch MBPs its looking like they might stay with it, that was a good chance for them to change it...

keeping the current superdrive, MAYBE blu-ray if they release it in macpro first

same ole ports as always, (heck my G3 900mhz ibook still had USB1 wtf?)

oh, ram, 2gb standard, 4gb option, way over priced as always

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm kind of sick of these speculation threads. Can't you just use search and contribute to those?! :mad:

10. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I want one? does it have the new 6,000,000,000 GB HD?

BLU RAY is kinda far off, there are power concerns as well as the 15" MBP is not HD yet. I would buy one though.

11. alxths macrumors 6502

People hardly ever touch on the graphics card when discussing updates. I'm fairly naive when it comes to things like this. Anyone have any concrete evidence that would point to when they'll update the graphics card?

Is there a suitable replacement for nvidia's 8600M GT coming out soon? Or perhaps there's one out there now?

I understand the current card has been in the MBP for about 10 months now (albeit with less VRAM).

12. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

If Apple did this it would be a small thing and a small event because this is really nothing. Just a hard drive upgrade and a slightly faster processor, I would expect all this in coming months to be honest.

ChrisN

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

thats why i said mid to late 08...that would be the coming months

redesign? MWSF at the earliest..but then ive been wrong before, but naphlem or whatever its called would be a great time to redesign, which would be around january, MWSF 09

14. akm3 macrumors 68020

Why is everyone so hot for Blu-ray?

I don't get it.

-Allen

15. gothamm macrumors 6502a

A macbook pro with a montepencupertinehalem processor: so advanced that it can prove that god does not exist.

out this tuesday :cool:

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yeah... I was hoping that. And that 500GB drive I can understand.

I still don't think the 256 SSD will be a grand by years end or next January, but maybe we will get a 64 or 128 option for that premium.

I agree about BR. You can technically get slim BRD drives and 3.5" drives for both the MBP and Mac Pro. I hope Apple doesn't just let us buy this drive and install them after market, but that is option.

It's nice, but it's not out yet and and they may not have it out by June since it was merely announced. I hope it is released and I really hope that someone else makes it other than Fujitsu.

p.s. Squeeks just about has what next year's model will look like.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I second that and wondered this as well. I guess because blu-ray can hold up more space...? But then that's what my 1 TB drives and ps3s are for...

As for OLED, I think were about 2-3 years still too early for that.

18. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I 100% agree with you. I think people are just on the hype of HD, but in reality a laptop screen won't really show much difference...so what's the point? Coolness?

Really, blu-ray drives on laptops or computers for that matter are pretty much pointless since you can barely see the difference from regular DVDs. Now, I've had a blu-ray and HD DVD player hooked up to my 40" flat screen and I can see a difference...but on anything less than 20" it's pointless.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The only reason I see for it right now, is content creation (real professionals outputting HD content) and consumers that travel and hook up their laptops to HDTVs in hotels, (if you can find one, and if Apple puts an HDMI port on the MBP), so right now, the only benefit will come to pros in the field, and they have had BRD options for about a year or more now and aren't waiting for Apple.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well I wouldnt go THAT far and say that dvd's look the same as hd movies on a laptop, especially when the 17" mbp hi res are 1920x1200. There is a huge difference in quality from a dvd to 720p/1080p.

When I watch a dvd to me now a days feels like dvd is vhs as to hd-dvd/blu-ray is the new dvd. Just a bluray drive on a mbp would make it a portable bluray player, I guess but like I mentioned earlier... just use a ps3 and a real nice 1080p hdtv with surround sound! But I do agree with you in that a 17" or 15" mbp wont cut it watching a full 720p/1080p than on a bigger screen of say 40"-60" hdtv full 1080p, so no real point in bluray in the mbp.

Other wise just watch a compressed version of mkv 720/1080p files on your mbp which is alot smaller in size + looks pretty much identical to a bluray/hd dvd disc.

21. DJJONES macrumors 6502

damn thats a downright amazing machine i hope its 2gs. and i hope ur correct because this just seems like a dream!

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If anything, I think discs will be all replaced with ssd drives and flash drives in the future. No need for burning anymore.

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

They will, or by something else, but not yet and not anytime between now and ten years from now. Discs are still the most economical way of moving large amounts of data. They are small, durable, easy to duplicate, and cheap

24. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Uh oh. I better open up my case and tell my video card it's not an nVidia 8800GT; That It's really an x1900xt from ATI. I'm sure it will be upset.

Hey, I'm all for pointing out the fact that Apple doesn't always use the latest and greatest. Just make sure your facts are in order before you do. :)