Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
I have to write this reply just to increase the "I haven't paid for any cable/satellite service in the last x years" ratio. In my case it's been over five years now.

For the price they're charging where I live, and all the good channels being sold in extra package deals, it's so much a rip-off that I basically just got fed up with all of it.

So what do you do? You're the 2nd person here claiming they don't buy cable/dish but refuse to state how you enjoy your tv experience. What are the services? What are your costs (initial and monthly)? What equipment models, do you use?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The problem with TV is that it's passive entertainment. TV has been shown to be poor educators in some circumstances

http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/tv.htm

There's little interactivity and little to no social networking. A 21st Century TV experience could be.

Social enabled- so that that showing of The Amazing Race can be discussed in real time with other fans/friends.

Space Shifted - My content should follow me around the home...from iPod/iPad to Mac/PC to HDTV and even over at a friends home all enabled by iCloud

Informative - Metadata metadata metadata - Watching video content becomes more enthralling if I can obtain good background material in some cases. Metadata embedded within some programs would make a difference especially for History or Documentary based shows.

Computing - I should be able to pull up documents and other computing content for proper display. I should be able to play games as well right from my TV complete with excellent social interaction.

Communication- Webcam, Siri and app support for making the HDTV a more central device within our home.

----------

So what do you do? You're the 2nd person here claiming they don't buy cable/dish but refuse to state how you enjoy your tv experience. What are the services? What are your costs (initial and monthly)? What equipment models, do you use?

You'd be amazed at how much of your life you get back when you're not plunked down in front of the boob tube. You actually have time to be creative in other areas. In the end some of us have realized that

A. Roughly 30% of what you watch are advertisements

B. The Cable industry only follows the cellular industry where it comes to designing packages to to spread out the content you "really" want across multiple premium offerings.

C There has been little innovation that let's me find the right content at the right time nor utilize my expensive TV in other areas beyond watching rank and file video content.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
CableCard is one of the most unreliable and unnecessary technologies I've ever experienced.

Why do I need a physical card when software could do the same thing? It's absolutely stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_Conditional_Access_System
Not sure what your point is. DCAS is fine as a software solution, but it 1) is just historically a newer technology equivalent to CableCard, and more importantly 2) is really just another example of the cable industry pissing around. The cable industry has no intention of taking any of these technologies seriously when they can profit off of renting you a box and claiming they'll wait for the next great CableCard equivalent.

The most unreliable and unnecessary technologies out there are provider sourced cable boxes and converters.

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Reading posts of the skeptics who don't get it is just like back in 2006, when people were unable to understand how Apple could possibly innovate with a phone.

It gets worse after they announce the incredible product and people are still spewing their venomous disdain for it. It's not until they see it, touch it, smell it, and use it that they finally understand that something *new* and *different* can actually be better.

People just have trouble seeing things outside of their current context, but eventually they get it. :)

:apple:

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

There's no over-the-air channels where I live and no Hulu or similar since I'm in Canada. All I can use is iTunes when I want to see a TV show, but even with season passes it's too expensive.

Not to mention the low monthly cap from my ISP, even if I had easy and cheap access to such services I couldn't enjoy them every day.

So I ripped most of my DVDs and I watch those. Once in a while I borrow DVDs from friends. And about once a month I'll rent a movie from iTunes, especially the 99-cents rentals. I'm thinking about getting Netflix but that 35GB monthly cap is just too low to allow it.

I use my old 12" PowerBook to "watch TV", but I'm setting up a 23" widescreen monitor I got last christmas along with an :apple:TV 2 that I got as a gift from a friend.

Watching TV is a very passive medium, there's no fun it in. IMHO personal projects are much more satisfying. I don't care if you're into electronics, coding, woodworking, arcade cabinets, model airplanes or whatever. Everyone has an interest in at least one topic besides "watching TV".

Last edited:

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Here's another "all in one" comparison.

How did Apple do when they released their own iPod boombox? Yeah, that's what I thought. Apple completely owned the mp3 player market, totally redefined the entire music industry. But just imagine if they had tried to do it by releasing an Apple Stereo. It would have been a total flop, people already have that stuff and want to be able to replace it independently. Same goes for a TV - some basic commodity items like Netflix and Youtube are fine to have built in but in general people want the flexibility of getting a box that does what they want and hooking it up to an input.

CodeCowboy

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
3) Why do they need an actual TV and not just the set top box? Why indeed! Hello 60" Retina iTV! The iPad 3 is yesterdays news! Ok, maybe not Retina...yet, but it will be better than normal. Perhaps that new SuperHD or whatever its called. (How awesome will it be to stand right up on your 60" screen and see no pixelation?)

Umm... a manufacturer can't just *poof* a new standard for content. do you know how long it took content providers to get on-board with HD/Blueray? Just because you have a high res platform does not make content suddenly exist for it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
They could drop the cable box if they used CableCards (as TiVo does). And if Apple could get cable vendors to actually treat CableCards as first-class citizens, it would be a major win. Comcast techs, at least, never have a clue when they need to fix a CableCard problem.

You have any idea about Cablecards? THEY ARE THE WORST!!!! I was a tech years ago and for every 1 cable card job you did, you bring 5 cards and pray 1 of those 5 works. They are garbage and the TV manufactures are not consistent on any set up either. Every TV maker has their own way of setting them up, THEN you get these idiot customer who think they know more and add their own splitters and not tell you and think "oh gold splitters, they must be better because they are gold". Cable cards are more touchy than a modem for internet for signal also. So before you bash people, think again about what people really go through.

srazz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Really Apple a TV?

Make the AppleTV perfect and call it done. Let the TV manufactures do what they do. How difficult is it to plug in a AppleTV if thats what you want. Seems simple to me.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
You'd be amazed at how much of your life you get back when you're not plunked down in front of the boob tube. You actually have time to be creative in other areas. In the end some of us have realized that

A. Roughly 30% of what you watch are advertisements

B. The Cable industry only follows the cellular industry where it comes to designing packages to to spread out the content you "really" want across multiple premium offerings.

C There has been little innovation that let's me find the right content at the right time nor utilize my expensive TV in other areas beyond watching rank and file video content.

I bolded your quote to show emphasis: I sure hope you're not suggesting I watch a lot of tv or that I need to get a life! I watch possibly 1 hour of tv a week at best...literally...and have so over the past 5 years...prior to 2006 I would watch maybe 3 hours a week. The only exception is a Red Sox game or a Patriots game. The non-sports shows I watch are Seinfeld or Discover/NatGEO/History Channel. All of my viewing habits are identical for my wife. My son watches 1 30min episode of Barney Mon-Fri.

Sadly, there is a huge population of folks who watch 20+ hours of tv a week.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007

Actually I just want to chime in - a little bit.

My average TV consumption ranges to below 30 minutes a day - and is mainly attributed to news.

My Samsung LCD should be replaced, as the 32 inches were quite costy 5 years ago (when I bought it) but as a matter of fact I mainly use this TV as a display for my XBox or PS3 - which both happen to stream other media content from my Mac.

I'm a frequent user of the Zune marketplace though I rather go to a brick&mortar rental shop for DVDs.

Yes - call me a bloody pirate for torrenting some TV shows as soon as they air - but alas, they don't air the same day in Europe, most time synchro into other languages sucks and it takes a little time before I can buy the BluRays of the current season.

But I don't feel bad about torrenting Dexter as
a) Showtime made their money in the US due to being PayTV
b) Michael C. Hall and the producers still get my money when I buy the BluRay :D

In short - No, I don't really need a TV and I sure as hell don't need an Apple branded one.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
They need to strong-arm the TV business into delivering cheap content the "Apple way", just like they did with music.

... Otherwise it's not even worth making the TV. :apple:

...just like piracy did with music.

There, FTFY!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
No not at all Eric

I just think there's still a pretty big divide between passive entertainment and active entertainment.

A lot of geeks I know now what TV and have their mobile device on hand to discuss what's going on TV in real time. How does Apple take that and make it palatable for the general public? Do they even try? I can't wait to see.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
There's no over-the-air channels where I live and no Hulu or similar since I'm in Canada. All I can use is iTunes when I want to see a TV show, but even with season passes it's too expensive.

Not to mention the low monthly cap from my ISP, even if I had easy and cheap access to such services I couldn't enjoy them every day.

So I ripped most of my DVDs and I watch those. Once in a while I borrow DVDs from friends. And about once a month I'll rent a movie from iTunes, especially the 99-cents rentals. I'm thinking about getting Netflix but that 35GB monthly cap is just too low to allow it.

I use my old 12" PowerBook to "watch TV", but I'm setting up a 23" widescreen monitor I got last christmas along with an :apple:TV 2 that I got as a gift from a friend...

So what you're saying is...you don't watch tv. Sure, you physically LOOK at a tv, but you watch dvd movies and every blue moon you spend 99 cents on a tv show via iTunes. You are in the 0.000000000001% of "tv viewers". Which is fine. But you're truly don't "watch tv". :)

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Twice price.....

:eek:

Seriously!

I read twice the price as sub-par TV, with superior software. Bit like the original iPhone, now that i think of it. If they can put forth a low-end panel, and sell it in the (semi) high-end segment, they can easily double the price - and with Apples marketing, probably get away with it too.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Reading posts of the skeptics who don't get it is just like back in 2006, when people were unable to understand how Apple could possibly innovate with a phone.

In this particular case I don't think it's people not getting it, it's people not buying into:

a) It has to be a TV as opposed to a box, and
b) It will cost twice as much as the competition

I think if they do a box version (either instead of or in addition to a TV version) and price it competitively it could sell like hotcakes.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
You do realize that you are wasting money. Right? LED just refers to the light source. It's a clever marketing term because people confuse them with OLED TVs which cost like three to four times as much.

Wouldn't be a waste of money if it was backlit. But... i somehow doubt that someone going from plasma to led at 23yo would think about such a thing -- and the odds of it being an environment thing, well... slim to none.

----------

Sorry, but Apple buyers purchase on value. PC buyers purchase on price. The past 15 years has clearly shown that value wins out. $81B is clear proof of this.

Once you see the value Apple TV3 has to offer, you'll likely change your mind, just as you did with your Macs and iPhones. GO APPLE GO!

Did you know that MSFT have a bigger pile of cash* than Apple? Despite being one of the best dividends companies in tech? Despite 170bn going back to share-holders over the past 10 years? No... no surprise there.

* cash = cash = cash. nothing more, nothing less.

----------

Why would it cost the twice the price , wouldnt they be about 90 more seeing as thats how much an Apple Tv would cost. They should just concentrate on that. I doubt the image quality will beat a similar price Panasonic plasma.

Why? Because Apple likes money, and will amp up the margin as high as they possibly can. Further, integrating the software in the TV (and scrapping the ATV-box) allows for higher margins. So yeah.. thats why.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
No not at all Eric

I just think there's still a pretty big divide between passive entertainment and active entertainment.

Cool...and yes, agree on the divide. Personally all I really would love to have my tv do for me:

1)watch some great tv shows/channels at extremely cheap rates. I (as well as everyone else on the planet) hate the $70+/month 900 channel lineup with 6 channels that I actually watch...including the main CBS/NBC/ABC channels. If I could pay, say, $10/month per channel, a la carte, that would be very nice. Paying $1/15-year-old-Seinfeld reruns is not for me. Paying $1/premium, brand new weekly-show is ok. Yet paying $1/each show on NatGEO would make it VERY expensive for our household. Something flexible where I can choose NatGeo channel for flat $10/month or show-by-show on NatGeo for $1/episode. I dunno the prices but make it very cheap.

2)want all my programming in 1080. The cable operators, channels, and tvs have been advertising 1080 HD since 2001 and still in 2011 most of of the channels/shows are non-1080.

3)Better/faster movie access. Current streaming performance model stinks. More movies please.

4)1 charge per household...not extra fees for extra boxes for extra tvs. I don't pay my water company more money when I add a bathroom...or my electric company when I begin to use a new plug or use a splitter or install a new outlet. I don't pay my phone company more money because I installed a new phone jack or bought another phone.

Unless you are a complete tv junkie, $70+/month is so expensive for tv.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Hopefully with Full Picture-in-Picture (Full PiP), which requires at least two Digital Terrestrial Television (DTTV or DTT) tuners inside the TV set. After image quality, that is the most important feature of a TV set for many people. Which manufacturers/models deliver that now?
Years ago I had a Sony that featured Picture-in-Picture. I didn't buy it for that, it simply came with the TV that I preferred.

After using it for an hour, I was completely sold on the fantastic advantage of being able to put two channels up on the screen concurrently. Being able to move them around, size them as I pleased, split the two down the middle, the feature was just outstanding.

Much like having multiple windows open on ones computer, this is a great feature.

The reason I can imagine Apple building an entire TV is to have a presence in customers living room with the Apple Logo, it's a big advertisement for Apple and bragging rights. Let's face it there are a lot of fanbois what would buy them just to brag, or be seen with them. To wow their friends.

Unless it had some truly spectacular feature, of much greater significance than just Siri, I have no desire to buy one. Especially if it includes the typical Apple Tax, then it would be so pretentious I'd want to distance myself from it. Apple is too polarizing of a company to deserve a spot that large in my home.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Why? Because Apple likes money, and will amp up the margin as high as they possibly can. Further, integrating the software in the TV (and scrapping the ATV-box) allows for higher margins. So yeah.. thats why.

I agree, this Apple TV (if it happens) is for max profit and mindshare.

A huge "Apple In Your Face" advertisement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.