Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Speculation Over an Apple Search Engine Resurfaces, But Apple Likely Remains Focused on Siri and Spotlight

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2010
They already have — Siri.

"Hey Siri, can dogs eat cucumbers?"

I'm amazed at the comprehensive answers that Siri gives these days. Truly helpful and on point, rather than searching through search results.
True, a speech assistant can be useful (it’s so easy to ask it the weather, an actor’s age!) but as a visual tool and certainly a power one for productivity, I think Siri almost seems casual by comparison.

Comment

TheAustrianGuy

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2010
For fxxxs sake, focus on Siri!
It‘s so bad, especially in German, it actually hurts.

Yes, German is a complicated language, but an AI should at least have some kind of understanding of grammar.
Siri still doesn‘t.

• Haha
Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser
Comment

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
People laugh at Apple trying to compete with Google in maps but think they’d be able to do it with search? Seriously?

Oh I don't doubt some people make fun of Apple Maps. On the other hand it's quite possible the same people haven't used Apple Maps recently and are simply operating with outdated beliefs.

One thing Google has that stands out for me though is the POI (places/points of interest) database which they're ahead in. Still, overall I prefer using Apple Maps to Google Maps. Apple Maps is accurate enough for navigation, and has taken the leadership role with better UI these days, in my opinion.

Reactions: hxlover904
Comment

hxlover904

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Apple is getting yearly multi billion dollar payments from Google to keep Google the default search engine on iOS. There is absolutely no chance they will give that up unless they can somehow replace that revenue. And they won't be able to do that with a privacy oriented search engine. So an Apple search engine is not happening any time soon.

if Google is willing to pay $9b to be the search engine, then their return must be CONSIDERABLY more than 9 billion.

If Apple is the default search engine, sure they lose the $9 billion Google is paying, but they make everything that Google is making (considerably more than $9 billion). Sounds like a smart business decision.

Comment

goblutes

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
It’d be great if they improved the search functions for mail and messages first.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
I am extremely shocked and interested to see new competition on the search engine market. I don't recall correctly but I think since about 03-04 none cared to compete in the field not to mention take on the Google Goliath. I am guessing Apple is trying to reinforce that ecosystem clutch on their customers by providing a private search enginge. Then Apple customers will be more of a cult.

So sorry to say that if Siri or App Store search results are of any indicative of an Apple Search engine...its going to be bad...real bad...

Just wrap Apple Search around a Google search and strip all the ads and tracking. Boom

Or they could buy Bing which I don't think Microsoft care about and gives good search results, or the new startup Qwant.

Comment

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
I would like to see this, actually. And would give it a try in a heartbeat.

In typical Apple fashion I expect it to suck a little bit at the beginning and then slowly become great. Finally this year I was able to switch to Apple Maps, it is still not perfect but it is good enough... Although as soon as I am out of the US I have to switch back to Google Maps.
Apple Maps does driving directions far better than others, but it is sometimes slightly wrong... Never horribly so, though. I use it too.

Reactions: GeoStructural
Comment

JimmyBanks6

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2017
Apple already had something called "Ping" remember the early days of iTunes?

Comment

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
search for the sam’s club app on your phone by typing sams. You won’t see it. If Apple was working on search this would not be the case. Thus I have to say the rumor is false.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
For fxxxs sake, focus on Siri!
It‘s so bad, especially in German, it actually hurts.

Yes, German is a complicated language, but an AI should at least have some kind of understanding of grammar.
Siri still doesn‘t.
I find german to be a fairly simple language, especially for english speakers?

Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
People laugh at Apple trying to compete with Google in maps but think they’d be able to do it with search? Seriously?

Most people laughing are Android users. I have used Appel Map since the introduction with no issue. Have never installed Google Map on my iPhone or iPad, ever.

Reactions: hxlover904
Comment

matrix07

macrumors 603
Jun 24, 2010
search for the sam’s club app on your phone by typing sams. You won’t see it. If Apple was working on search this would not be the case. Thus I have to say the rumor is false.

Never have problems searching for app before.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
Giving you the information you are looking for, not a link to someone flogging something remotely similar to it.

That will lead to web developers complaining that Apple is using their content without providing them traffic.

Comment

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
That will lead to web developers complaining that Apple is using their content without providing them traffic.
Apple is used to complaints. If I typed your name into google, I bet there would be a link "buy JasonTV cheap on <random website>".

Comment

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Apple should try to acquire DuckDuckGo, given DDG's privacy center features and Apple's ability to inject cash, design/programming talent, and the Apple brand name.

Comment

pottmi

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
How about they just make spotlight actually useful with out raising my CPU temperature 20 degrees? I had to turn it off while I try to get it configured to not try to index my time machine backups... TIme machine backup runs. Spot light indexes it. TM back up runs. Spot light indexes it..... WHY IS THAT THE DEFAULT? WHY IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?

Comment

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I'm sure it'd be rough at first and will probably never have the klout of its google counterpart (like apple maps), but over time, I think it would turn into a worthy alternative.

Apple Maps dwarfs Google Maps’ clout where it counts. is by far the most used mapping app on iOS devices and has been for several years. It’s used Billions of times a week.

Reactions: Unity451
Comment

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
As they care about privacy, this could be a good move.
I have to say I'm more interested in their hardware and os and I don't really care about services, but a search engine maybe something more to generate the service revenues they need so badly.

You need to do some research on the services revenue “they need so badly.” Apples overall revenue is skyrocketing and their services revenue is already tens of BILLIONS EACH QUARTER!

Reactions: ohmydays
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.