Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

143934-rovi_guide.jpg

Earlier today, we reported that Apple and Rovi have signed a "multi-year agreement" for Apple to license certain portions of Rovi's intellectual property portfolio. While the regulatory filing revealing the deal offered no insight into which of Rovi's several areas of operation Apple is lining up to utilize, one analyst believes that Apple may be targeting Rovi's interactive television program guides as part of an initiative into live TV and DVR capabilities, possibly stretching as far as an Apple-branded television set.

The report comes from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster (via Silicon Alley Insider), who has long been a proponent of the theory that Apple will eventually launch television set products offering integration with the company's existing media services.
We believe this announcement is further evidence that Apple is developing live TV and DVR features for its Apple TV product, and will likely launch an all-in-one Apple Television in the next 2-4 years. Following its deal with Rovi, Apple would be clear to add live TV, DVR, and guidance features to its Apple TV product, which we believe is a critical step towards an all-in-one Apple Television.
We currently believe Munster's comments to be pure speculation, as we have seen no evidence that Apple has specifically licensed Rovi's guide technology, although that could certainly be the case. Interest in the new Apple TV and iTunes Store offerings have, however, been sparking interest in Apple's TV plans, and the possibility of Apple entering the live TV/DVR market and eventually the television set market have certainly already been on the minds of many.

Article Link: Speculation That Apple's Rovi Deal Could Signal Shift Into Live TV and DVR

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well if the TVs are going to be priced anything like their Apple Displays.. I can't see them selling too many..

Well their Apple Displays do go WAY beyond 1080P; so the price should come down. But in the end a 55" 1080P TV from Apple would probably be around 5K easily.

Sadly; some people would believe it to be truly the best and buy it.

Actually. Apple doesn't believe in 1080P, so their 720P TV would still cost 5k :p:p

bmaltais

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
Expect to see this 1st in the AppleTV 2. Probably part of Apple's plan to build on this little trojan horse of a device.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
All in one Apple Television set? Probably not. 40" or 50" iMac? Maybe, but I just don't see that happening for a long, long time.

I've been in the Apple DVR camp for awhile now and I hope this is another step in that direction. One box to rule them all... And in the Living Room bind us. Now that the AirPlay and App possibilities seem to have been addressed, a DVR is the next logical step. But who knows... Over the Air content may disappear before long and Apple might be orchestrating it's demise.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
I think we have a better chance at knitting fog than we do of seeing an actual TV from Apple.
Most likely this will be for the ATV2 in a future update, a bit of IPTV.
Or perhaps ATV3 will be named AppleTV-HD or AppleHDTV something.
But its a bit early to tell, ATV2 aint even out yet.

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
Let see - radio started hitting the mark in the 20's (it was discovered much earlier, I realize that).

TV as we know it, started in the late 40's.

I'd say we are due for a complete shake up, don't you think?

Enough with networks and cable.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I continue getting pissed off. I did an all-in-one TV way back in the day for a school project. TV + Hard drive + Wifi + DVD + custom OS + all the other loose goodies.

I wish I had some patents for it. :p Woe is me.

I'd totally buy an actual :apple:TV anyway if specs and price were right.

newtonrj

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Sadly; some people would believe it to be truly the best and buy it.

You jest but if it had the right sizes (say 48-60"), live-streaming , DVR, iTunes sync, iPhone control, iPad AirPlay, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cat-6, 1Tb, 8Gb, hub/time machine/AP and O/S X, there would be takers. If not for the higher price, then for the case design that is :apple:

The remote, arial, coax and monthly subscription co$ts would be for legacy viewers

-RJ

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Rovi formerly Gemstar / TV Guide are notorious patent hogs / bullies... at least until a few unfavorable court decisions turned the tide on them a bit. So it's not surprising that they are sitting on some patents that Apple has no defensive patents to counter.

And I'll never understand how an Apple branded television is a good idea.... televisions aren't getting any smaller, product cycles are incredibly short and there is no shortage of competition driving innovation and price competition. Apple had enough trouble shipping the 27" iMac... how are they going to handle 46", 55", etc. panels? I've never been in the back of an Apple Store, but it's hard for me to believe that they have room to warehouse any quantity of boxed televisions.

Maybe they're working on a panel that you can roll-up and store in a poster tube?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Live TV? Through what source? Cable? Sat? OTA? Nonsense. Apple wants On Demand from their server farm... that's not "live TV".

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
People (me) buy new iphones / ipods every year for the new features.
I don't want to start having to do this with my wall mounted TVs.
I know Jobs says that no one wants to buy another "box", but I really do prefer buying a new box over buying a whole new TV because the "box" is built in to the damn thing.
The software/widgets on the internet enabled TVs out now, will look like dinosaurs in a few years. Better to just get a new "box".

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
People (me) buy new iphones / ipods every year for the new features.
I don't want to start having to do this with my wall mounted TVs.
I know Jobs says that no one wants to buy another "box", but I really do prefer buying a new box over buying a whole new TV because the "box" is built in to the damn thing.
The software/widgets on the internet enabled TVs out now, will look like dinosaurs in a few years. Better to just get a new "box".

A TV from Apple would obviously just be the Apple TV built in to a TV so you wouldn't have to buy the TV if you don't want to, so I don't get your complaint.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Add apps to the existing Apple TV and you can get live programming (from whoever chooses to make an app for it).

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You jest but if it had the right sizes (say 48-60"), live-streaming , DVR, iTunes sync, iPhone control, iPad AirPlay, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cat-6, 1Tb, 8Gb, hub/time machine/AP and O/S X, there would be takers. If not for the higher price, then for the case design that is :apple:

The remote, arial, coax and monthly subscription co$ts would be for legacy viewers

-RJ
This already exists:

TV + Mini + EyeTV One

The tuner and DVR are the only things a Mac doesn't have already have (well, live streaming is limited to what exists from providers), and Elgato provides that for $99.

Why would you want it all built together? All those TV/VCRs that were sold....the VCR part dies about 10 years before the TV part. And you're left with....?

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
A TV from Apple would obviously just be the Apple TV built in to a TV so you wouldn't have to buy the TV if you don't want to, so I don't get your complaint.

And so when a new AppleTV comes out, I have to buy a new TV to get the new features because it's built-in.
That's my point.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Munster has been pushing the Apple TV Set theory for a few years now and has been far off the mark on most if not all other Apple speculation he did.

Although this Rovi deals is definitely interesting for TV watchers, I do not see any conclusive evidence that suggests the software should be built into an actual TV rather than the Apple TV.

I really wonder why Macrumors keeps posting his theories.. They never seem to go anywhere..

bmaltais

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2010
And so when a new AppleTV comes out, I have to buy a new TV to get the new features because it's built-in.
That's my point.

Not if the AppleTV is just a Sony, LG, etc with AirPlay technology built-in. Use a small device somewhere in the house as the AirPlay source and output on the TV. Want to upgrade to new HW? Keep the TV set but simply upgrade the cheap 99$ ATV to the new revision that came out and get the new features on the TV. Who will need cables on the TV in the future it you can simply AirPlay to it! Just need a power cable, that is it... cable mess no more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.