Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Do you truly not understand the difference between a massive market like iOS and a niche market like OS X? Apple is in the portable device business. The Mac is a small and ever dwindling sideline. Giving away OS X would send one message and one message only - that the Mac is dying and can't compete. That's not a true message and it isn't one they'd want to sent out.

Do you think they do it for silly bragging rights, or to make it easy for developers to target a single operating system? They do, you know, make money off the sales in the App Store. OS X software sales through the App store are minuscule in comparison and most apps are compatible with multiple versions. It doesn't matter nearly as much to them if people update Mac OS right away. And it's a lot harder to get someone who thinks they paid $99 for their phone to spend another $10 than it is to get someone who spent $1000-2500 to spend another $20.

Apple, like any SANE company, does things that will benefit themselves the most. They couldn't care less about fanboy praise

We'll I guess apple has gone INSANE.....

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
So much for the convoluted and asinine bean-counter theories regarding how Apple would be forced to charge money. :D

And it's Securities and Exchange Commission rules.

I guess Apple just shoved one up the SEC's arse then. :eek:

You guys crack me up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.