Speedtest App Not Accurate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gigemzach, Dec 31, 2010.

1. gigemzach macrumors 6502

As the title says, the speedtest.net app for the iPhone appears to be extremely inaccurate especially for the ping times. It doubles and sometimes triples my ping time while cutting my speeds in less tha half. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

As compared to... ?

3. gigemzach thread starter macrumors 6502

As compared to the computer version on the same wireless network.

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The cellphone(iphone) will never be as fast as the computer on the same wirelesss network.

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Exactly, what makes you think that the wireless network card on computer is going to have the same performance as the wireless chipset in the iPhone?

7. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

But it'll be close. I pay for a 12mb connection, I get 11.5 on my MBP, and 10.9 on my iPhone. Pings are a bit off, 30ms on the MBP, 80ms on the phone.

8. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Same here. The results are about the same as my laptop's speed test The speedtest.net app results were about half the download speed.

9. DeBaryFL macrumors member

The FCC app and the Speedtest.net app gave me identical results (within experimental error) when tests were run with the same server (Atlanta, GA). I did 5 runs/test with each app, and tested with both Wi-Fi and the 3G network. This is on an iPhone 4 with latest OS update.

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The FCC speed test app claims that I'm getting 0.00 Mbps download speed.

Umm... yeah. Definitely beta software. :rolleyes:

11. Eso, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Take your finger off the antenna :D

12. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Ever since the update for the Speedtest.net app it has been complete junk. I wish i could unupdate that app but i will try out this FCC one.

13. gigemzach thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly!! I wish I could have the old app. I thought it performed much better. I think they should have both versions available in the app store.

14. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Just because it is in the same network it won't have the same speeds as your PC, it is different hardware.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, that's just a coincidence. They really aren't the same the most of the time. The hardware really is different in most cases. It's just thst you have a laptop that's apparently similar to your phone. That's not going to be true to for everyone.

On average my laptop tends to always be about 10 Mb/s faster than my iPhone.

16. zephxiii macrumors 6502

Speedtest.net app sucks, I prefer to use the extremelabs app.

17. DeBaryFL macrumors member

If you're using a PC, the older versions are moved to the recycle bin when you update apps. If you haven't emptied the recycle bin since the update, you can recover the older versions there.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

19. tablo13, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011

tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Speedtest.net always tell me that too if I'm on a random unsecured network even though I get internet. :rolleyes: But looks like I can't get over 20Mbps on my iPod touch when I can get 25Mbps on my wired computer.

20. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

wasnt there a thread similar to this discussion ?

(edit) Found it http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058675&highlight=

[​IMG]

So in other words
    The iPhone 4 seems to be capable of a maximum networking speed of 100Mbps = 12mb/s up 12mb/s Down

Unless you have a really fast wifi network, the bottleneck is not the iPhone.

The reason you are getting different speeds with your iPhone vs Router could be several reasons

The fact you are getting different ping speeds is probably a hint as to what is going on. The iPhone probably has as a variable ping speed because of some battery saving software that takes longer to respond to a router trying to communicate with it vs a laptop

As long as your upload/download speeds are similar to your laptop I wouldn't worry about it. And if you still worry about it, then get a faster internet connection

21. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

anyone ever seen the cat??

run the speed test...
    once done...
    put ur finger on middle of the screen and drag down...

22. Infraggable Kru macrumors regular

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is too funny:D

24. X2thaP macrumors member

did you see all of the cat thingies? try pulling down the screen a couple of times, random but funny.

for the results: besides the ping being higher on the iPhone, the up and down speeds are almost exactly
    the same on my iPhone, MacBook and iMac.
    One does 25,52Mb/s, the next is at 24,94Mb/s and the iPhone was at 24,32Mb/s.