Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
I guess I make you guys suffer because my grammar is horrible. I blame it on bad education and fact there was no programs or help available when I saw the problem. In high school teachers told me, "Its ok youll get better, just practice." All to get away from staying extra time to help. College helped me a lot but still I struggle and I have low self esteem in writing which discourages me in many things. That is why I went back to school, will take some grammar classes and get grammar books. I think I need to relearn grammar to help my case.

But the second post made here, honestly what that person said is exactly what I deal with which was shocking, I sent him or her a pm asking where that individual got help/treatment/diagnosis.

I think the problem lies with the fact teachers are too lax in writing discipline, my cousins from Mexico had strict writing and grammar lessons.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I hope I was being clear, I wasn't picking on your assumption. We often know when we're dealing with a native English speaker who either doesn't know or doesn't care (or doesn't care that he doesn't know). Even when I'm sure the writer is a native English speaker, I only infrequently point out their mistakes. Like others here, I generally just skip over posts where the grammar and spelling makes them difficult to comprehend.

No worries. I read so much in moderator mode and often see English as a foreign language.

And how often they used a preposition to end a sentence with? ;)

It's like that joke about two women waiting in the doctor's office.

The southern woman says "Where y'all from?" in a friendly tone and the northern woman responds "I'm from a place where we don't end our sentences with a preposition." There's a sudden, stressful silence and the southern woman asks "Where y'all from, bitch?"

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The southern woman says "Where y'all from?" in a friendly tone and the northern woman responds "I'm from a place where we don't end our sentences with a preposition." There's a sudden, stressful silence and the southern woman asks "Where y'all from, bitch?"

Ouch. This is the other reason why I try to restrain my impulse to be a grammar nazi.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I guess I make you guys suffer because my grammar is horrible. I blame it on bad education and fact there was no programs or help available when I saw the problem. In high school teachers told me, "Its ok youll get better, just practice." All to get away from staying extra time to help. College helped me a lot but still I struggle and I have low self esteem in writing which discourages me in many things. That is why I went back to school, will take some grammar classes and get grammar books. I think I need to relearn grammar to help my case.

But the second post made here, honestly what that person said is exactly what I deal with which was shocking, I sent him or her a pm asking where that individual got help/treatment/diagnosis.

I think the problem lies with the fact teachers are too lax in writing discipline, my cousins from Mexico had strict writing and grammar lessons.

That's a very sad story. I hope you realize that the purpose of this thread isn't to attack people, just bad grammar and spelling. As you stated, you tried hard to learn but were hampered by teachers that didn't give a damn. You shouldn't let it affect your self esteem, though. Although good grammar and spelling are important when you go out into the world, using them doesn't make you a better person than those who don't. Heck, the only reason I became a grammar/spelling nazi is that my mother was an English teacher and beat it into me from the time I was very young (not literally, only figuratively). Who knows, if it weren't for her I might be putting my apostrophes in the wrong places too. Bu anyway, you're trying to improve your situation and I commend you for that. If I have said anything here that made you feel bad about yourself I apologize.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
i think all the grammeristas need to relax because it shouldnt really matter to any of us here how people write as long as we can understand them because we just come here for fun and to share stuff and its not like we are theyre bosses and depend on theyre writing skill but im sure the people who dont write so good know that they dont right so good and just keep on because its not effecting them negatively so lets all just get along and be friends :)

All keyboards come standard with this (you should try it sometime ;)):

dsc00319-20070830-213253.jpg

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My wife teaches 8th grade language arts, so I get to see a lot of her students' writing -- some of which is quite good, some of which is appalling.

My favorite example came from a quiz on Flowers for Algernon. In response to the question, "How did Charlie know that his intelligence was deteriorating?", one student replied, "Because he couldn't right good."

Speaking of someone's intelligence deteriorating..... :D

Then again, if you're only in 8th grade and writing crap like that, I don't think you had any intelligence to begin with.

This thread cannot exist without this:

No, you need to use the animated version, it's better :D
grammartime.gif

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Poor spelling gets on my nerves sometimes, but as others have stated, grammar is constantly changing; and isn't the same from place to place.
Ex. Before I joined these boards, I wasn't aware that in Europe, companies are considered plural.
ie- Nintendo are releasing the wii
as opposed to
Nintendo is releasing the wii.
Weird...:eek:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Poor spelling gets on my nerves sometimes, but as others have stated, grammar is constantly changing; and isn't the same from place to place.
Ex. Before I joined these boards, I wasn't aware that in Europe, companies are considered plural.
ie- Nintendo are releasing the wii
as opposed to
Nintendo is releasing the wii.
Weird...:eek:

That's not a change, to my uncertain knowledge, it's just a different convention. Another difference in grammar convention between American and British English is the placement of punctuation inside or outside of quotation marks. In British English, outside is the rule. In American English, it's the exception.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
SO IF I WRITE IN ALL-CAPS, THAT MUST BE THE OPPOSITE OF LAZY, RIGHT? AWESOME!

--ERIC

AWESOME, SO CAPS MAKES ME LOOK LIKE SOME SORT OF A GO GETTER?

Seriously I am finding peoples' grammar and spelling in general pretty god awful.

The best I've seen was a job application sent to me and it went as follows:
"Atentsion to drtaile" was defined as one of their qualities in the cover letter, I really don't know if this person was being brilliant or an idiot, either way they didn't get an interview but that specific cover letter always stands out for me.

Proof reading and F5 in Microsoft Word should stop most people from looking stupid.

guifa

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2002
Auburn, AL
Yea. I hate when people speak incorrectly as well. Double negatives, inconsistencies in singulars and plurals, etc.

My biggest writing problem is that I usually change tenses, but that's what proof reading is for.

Do you know how many times I've received invitations that say "YOUR INVITED!"?
Double negatives are only ungrammatical in some (most?) dialects of English. Just because it's wrong in yours doesn't mean it is in mine.

To some extent, at least, the non-agreement is indeed ungrammatical, but, especially with mass nouns and singular they, the issue is in part a question of dialect or style.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Ever since I've turned on Safari's British Spell Check, I've become accustomed to spelling carburettor with two tt's. :p

It sounds different, also. Downdraught or sidedraught carburettors? I'd prefer fuel injection, in any case but spell check will do in a pinch.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
I guess I make you guys suffer because my grammar is horrible.

Nah; that post was quite readable and not the kind I skip over. A couple of minor mistakes, yeah, but normally I wouldn't mention them outside of a thread like this. Making the effort to improve is a good thing, and you're waaaay ahead of a lot of people. :)

--Eric

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
Then again, if you're only in 8th grade and writing crap like that, I don't think you had any intelligence to begin with.

Oh come on, you're talking that way about 8th graders. Thats pretty mean. 8th graders in the American public school system don't seem to often stand a chance. Our school system has let down many children.
I was in high school between 1996 and 2000 and I remember not being too impressed with the quality of teachers. Granted this was in California, where public schools are notoriously bad. It wasn't much better in middle school either.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
One thing that bugs me is alright instead of all right. Honestly, you think we could get over stuff like that wouldn't you?? :)

Kikti83, you're doing great! Your post was quite clear and logical. You want to be a perfectionist, fine, but stop worrying!

Kamera RAWRr Just noticed your sig. What don't you know?

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
What drives me up the wall is when people misuse commas. Like this:

blah blah blah , blah ablah blah , lah blah.

Since when does a comma require a space before it? The "could of" and "should of" also drives me nuts. It's just hard to imagine how certain people made it through school with such poor grammar; basic skills that were taught in primary/elementary school (I love semi-colons, they rule).

It's so nice to see that other people on these forums get majorly ticked off by poor grammar.

youse guys rullzzzz lyk so much man. dese forums are totes the ****!

AppleMatt389

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Australia
semicolons are used to join independent clauses. the clause that followed your semicolon was dependent.

i was never taught grammar in such detail so i don't really understand this dependent and independent clause business. out of curiosity, what could i change to make that sentence correct?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's just hard to imagine how certain people made it through school with such poor grammar; basic skills that were taught in primary/elementary school (I love semi-colons, they rule) will always be essential.

Something like that would finish it.

Basically, the second part had to be a complete sentence and it was a fragment instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.