Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sphero, known for its line of robotic balls and droids, today launched the $50 Sphero Mini, the company's most affordable toy yet.

Sphero Mini measures in at about 1.25 inches, making it similar in size to a ping pong ball. It's essentially a tiny version of the original Sphero robotic ball, and it's controlled the same way -- through an app on your iPhone.

The Sphero Mini connects to an iPhone using Bluetooth and can be used for playing games, learning to code, playing with pets, and more, thanks to a built-in gyroscope, accelerometer, and LED light.

spheromini1-800x316.jpg

Sphero has designed a series of games that use the Mini as a controller mechanism, and with a future update, it will be programmable using the Sphero Edu app. Unique to the Mini is a Face Drive app feature that lets it be controlled via head movements and facial expressions.

spheromini2-800x172.jpg

Sphero Mini can glow in millions of colors with the LED lights, and it has a range of 10 meters. The battery in the Sphero Mini lasts for 45 minutes before needing to be recharged, and charging takes an hour. There are also interchangeable shells in a range of colors that can be purchased for the Mini, as well as a pins and cones accessory pack.

Sphero Mini can be purchased from the Sphero website for $49.99.

Article Link: Sphero Launches Tiny $50 'Sphero Mini' Robotic Ball

Reactions: jeremiah256

iPlayStation

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2016
03852D25-6B80-4421-87AE-79172A507DC2.jpeg
One step closer in real life to get seeker mine of the division. Seeker mine looks way cooler tho.

L-Viz

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2017
OK. It can roll. And?

Still waiting for a more sophisticated version of BB8. Maybe like the actual BB8 from the movie.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
This might help my putting stats.... ️

They do say you can sell anything that claims to improve a golfer's score.

"Reduce your score by 1 stroke a year for just $999.99!" would see queues reminiscent of a iPhone launch a few years ago. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.