Spiegen Ultra Hybrid VERSION 2, 7/7+, who's in?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Jaggrey macrumors 6502

Jaggrey

2. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'm tempted to try the black one. The clear one is probably still a no for the JB.

[​IMG]

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

arrived! I would definitely get black if you have JB

I dont have version 1 to do comparison photos with anymore, but I like the lip around the camera, the sides feel sturdied,

not crazy about the side text, that takes up a lot of the side, it seems ridiculous.. but I also sort of like its ridiculousness. air cushion tech promo is above camera cut out now, instead of bottom left of side near mic,

also, the box for my Liquid Armor says 'Made in Korea' on the box for this v2 ultra hybrid says 'Made in South Korea' glad they clarified that :D

as far as I can tell on clear, there is no slits near volume buttons or power button unlike the black/aqua sides that I saw in Jeff Benjamin's promo video,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

Could you comment on how protective you think the case is? Do you think it could provide decent drop protection (like the Tough Armor or Slim Armor)?

5. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Mine doesn't have any writing on it except for spigen on the bottom corner. I got the black with clear back.

6. thadoggfather, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

yeah the black and teal ones dont have the writing ('designed by..' in addition to 'air cushion tech'), just clear/rose gold semi-clear do

how do ya like the black one?

I had a black v1, but haven't bought black v2 yet because of lack of side grip.. a bit too slippery. felt like my liquid armor which I like but is also a lil too slippery

if you have a jet black iPhone, you might have no choice but black spiegen because it think the JB with clear rainbows or something, which ironically means less grip than stock and more grip than stock for matte black (when u can go clear without visual issues)

7. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

I have matte black. So far it's ok. My hands are really dry so it's hard to tell what the grip is like. Somewhere in my house is a playproof case and I can't use it because I drop the phone within 20 seconds every time I give it a try. Have yet to drop this with about 4 hours of use so far.

8. thadoggfather, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Nice,

ill be curious how the clear sides on v2 hold up, or rather dont and yellow, over time. if it takes longer/ maybe nips it in the bud (I'm doubtful of this though, TPU is prone to yellowing)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    I think it feels more like Speck-level protection on the sides now, but can't really say cause it hasn't taken a dive yet, and the air cushion tech bubbles seem to cover more surface area as far as I can tell,

my v1 took a face dive onto cement about 4 or 5 feet up and did ok so I assume this one the same,

--

im also curious what the bottom 'vents' are for in the clear back bottom corners, is that some increased form of shock absorption?

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

great. Just ordered the Clear one and expected to receive this Wednesday. Currently using the Tough Armor using the clear case with a matt finish back cover with jet black like stand.

10. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

the clear ultra hybrid v2 is my favorite case!

honorable mentions to liquid armor for being a great bargain just like this one, and the precise dual cam cut out looks so nice and I dont mind the back pattern and presidio grip for its grip, and heft/protection (if you can get a good price, if not, bag it)

11. Jaggrey macrumors 6502

Jaggrey

My hands tend to be on the dry side also. I tried the PlayProof with the 6s+ but also found it too slippery.

12. Jaggrey macrumors 6502

Jaggrey

I had the same issue with the black v1 which is one of the reasons I sent it back. I'm wondering if they've changed that at all. Their other cases are slippery also but the Slim Armor I have has the soft feel coating only on the black color which makes the grip perfect.

13. blaine07 macrumors 65816

Really like the look of this case. May have to get one for my MB

If you find that Playproof and want to sell it let me know..

14. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Ok. It's here somewhere.

15. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Update- clear v2 does have slits by power button and vol buttons for a more tactile feel. Subtle even in the brightest lighting. Slightly clickier tho I didn't have a problem with my clear v1. Black v1 was stiff af (ymmv may be build variations )

16. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I purchased the black case and am really happy with it for my JB 7. I don't see any watermarking and the color of the phone is shown quite clearly through the back. For the price Spigen charges it's very reasonable.

Attached Files:

17. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

Here's my MB with the black Ultra Hybrid 2. I suck at taking pics with my IPP. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

did you have the previous spigen black case? thats the one i've got now...is there any difference really from the previous one?

19. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Any point of the two holes on the bottom back except for letting dirt in?

20. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I did not. This is my first one.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 18, 2017 ---
    I also have no clue why they included the two small holes at the bottom two corners.

21. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

My personal theory is it's to assist the cellular antennas or to prevent watermarking. If that's not why then I have no idea.

22. andy769 macrumors member

Thanks OP! After watching the video I ordered a black for my jet black 7 plus. Received it today and its perfect. Great feeling, not too bulky and first time I have ever seen clear look good over the jet black back. Thanks!

23. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

Decided I'm gonna return mine. At first it felt good but it feels real slippery after a few days.