spikey

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
so now the obvious statmenet is....

there cant be two members around here who have "sole member of the anit zealot campaign" as thier sig.... am i right or wrong?

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by krossfyter
lol! thats cool.

why are you the sidekick though? did he start it. is he a better anti zealot?
when someone said something completely untrue or quoted one of steve jobs' famous distortion reality facts, he nailed them

i was more gentle...i am only a user of a mac and not a techie on macs like spikey, but i am a pc techie and when a mac user who knows absolutely nothing about a pc says something untrue, that's where i come in

macs are better than pcs, but the gap is not the same as the days when mac was easy to use and windows had 3.1 and many pc boxes crashed all day long

don't tell me or spikey about cache or fpu or anything without knowing what you are talking about...i consider spikey a good engineer and programmer and some digital artist or gamer trying to tell spikey about the ineer workings of a computer is like a driver's ed student trying to tell mario andretti how to drive

i am hardware side in IT and it would be nuts for me to tell some software side person that programmer's suck because there is no driver yet for my printer...a good programmer doesn't say that all hardware people suck because his logic board was doa from apple...all techies are people and therefore make mistakes

spikey is a new generation of english techies which we in the silicon valley call the british invasion...there has been a great deal of talent from england that has recently come into silicon valley and i hate to admit this, but british techies, indian techies, and chinese techies are the best i have seen and this little northern california clique of nerds i grew up with no longer dominate the field...in other words, you don't have to be from san jose to be a computer techie just like you don't have to be from nearby castroville to be an artichoke farmer or nearby gilroy to be a garlic farmer...techies are coming from the outside of the valley as much as from within these days and i find that refreshing and very international...but like bill gates always seems to have an edge in software, nearby stanford seems to have this uncanny ability to marry money with computer science and the school gets the best cs talent from around the world who are into that particular combination...it's so funny how other people came up with the internet but for decades, nobody saw in commerce potential in it and david filo and jerry yand of stanford launched the dot.com thing because they saw the monetary potential in it...a lot of old money sends their kids there and the school sometimes gets this greedy reputation that uc berkeley likes to label on them...let me tell you, i have seen tons of starving berkeley students working at strip malls but you will almost never see a stanford alum out of work...and both schools are nearly equal academically...but back to track...

i used to tutor programmers in a college class in hardware and most of them found it as hard as i find coding and programming...most techies are one or the other but spikey knows both well even though he sometimes swears and gets into trouble

i think i even say one of the macrumors administrators swear once..he he

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Then there's the Man In Black.......

I'm the Mop Up crew. They deal with specific errors in Logic......I shoot down wholesale Idiocy and Sheeple blindly following some Fad Idea (like Quantum Computers) or introduce a Radical concept to get their brains moving again.

I get the feeling Eyelikeart will be in on this soon.;) :cool:

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by krossfyter
so the new good techies are not american born anymore...hmmm.

whats happening to our american nerds???
lots of good american IT pros, it's just that the silicon valley is seeing more and more talent from outside of san jose

the silicon valley used to be a patch of buildings in oldtown san jose near where adobe is and it was truly a laughed at cottage industry

vacuum tubes, card readers, and mathematicians were the mainstay of the industry...data processing, later to be called computer science did not exist in silicon valley yet...hp was widely know outside of the valley as that calculator company...and the predecessor to a floppy weighed over 200 pounds and a certain type of plotter which kind of became the mouse used to require a ladder to operate...i have a female friend in her 60s that was there during the entire evolution of the valley from small time to big time...she is the only one left that did not die of cancer among her co-workers due to the heavy use of dangerous substances like mercury which was never labeled and people not in the know like to deny...mercury (or the compound which used it) has a very distinct smell and it's a very unforgettable smell which used to shroud the valley and is still there...but that could be the smog these days ;-)

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
There are three reasons why Brits want to go and work abroad.

a) thats where all the jobs are.
b) They will get paid more
c) Britain is becoming too expensive to live in, the jobs have ridiculous hours, the pay is ****ing crap, britain has been on a downward slope for about 20years and we will hit the bottom within the next 10.

Infact i am giving much thought to moving to my girlfriends place and leave this country too.

The best engineers i have ever known are from India, apparently the universities over there work them extremely hard.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i live in a city that is home to the states (texas) top engineering program.
most of the students in this program are from india. true true.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
many of the best network engineers are from india and even some the network administrators are foreign born but because of the top dog post of an administrator, he or she usually has to report directly to the cio

but in many small companies, the network administrator is the cio ;-)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'm pretty sure arn rebanned him due to some extremely vicious personal attacks laced with profanity the likes of which would embarrass a sailor...

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
since there are minors on board here, i understand the administators legal responsibility to keep the swearing down to a dull roar

it's unfortunate since spikey was the first big poster on macrumors.com and brought this site to more than just rumors

as anybody who has visited this site knows, this is much more than a rumors and speculation site, and has grown into a full fledged mac resource on the web

i hope to hear from spikey soon and i hope he does not get banned assuming that is what even happened at all

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
re: jefhatfield & the anti-zealot campaign

so if spikey's gone...what's to become of the Anti-Zealot Campaign?? :eek:

maybe we'll have to start recruiting for a new organization...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
I doubt he's been banned.

I've seen him lurking about. I use the "who's on line" option a lot to find interesting topics or track discussions. :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: re: jefhatfield & the anti-zealot campaign

Originally posted by eyelikeart
so if spikey's gone...what's to become of the Anti-Zealot Campaign?? :eek:

maybe we'll have to start recruiting for a new organization...
As a post-spikey member, it took me a little while to figure all the anit-zealot stuff out. There were no old threads to go back and read, spikey and gocyrus (the two most talked about that I noticed) were both MIA. And I didn't see too many posts that warrented an anti-zealot org. Things must have calmed down a little.

Its too bad I wasn't around, it seems I missed alot. I do agree with jef that the macrumors board is much bigger than rumors and that is a great thing. As an online resource its value is huge.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Re: I doubt he's been banned.

Originally posted by mischief
I've seen him lurking about. I use the "who's on line" option a lot to find interesting topics or track discussions. :)
I just took a look in the member list...and Alas! no spikey listed...

so I think spikey's gone... :(

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but here goes...

The few times I ran into spikey the guy came off as a real d*ck. Granted I've only been here since November, 2001, but that was long enough for me to see what the guy was all about.

Anti-zealot or no, this guy was rude, vicious and his tone on this boards was just plain inflammatory and infantile. I reported a couple of his threads to arn, and arn wrote me back to say he had rebanned him...

I'm sorry if you lost one of your "charter members", but to me it's no great loss. These forums are a lot safer now for newbies to get involved in without getting a flamejob the likes of which would scar them for life. To you guys it may have been entertaining, but I'm sure the targets of his wrath saw it differently.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
no flaming from me...

personally I never had a "run-in" with spikey...nor was I ever offended or anything...

I think spikey exhibited the type of behavior that many of us would like to act out upon at times...but we knew it just wasn't best to...

more of entertainment factor and "I can't believe he just said that?!" than it was anything else... ;)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Anti-zealot or no, this guy was rude, vicious and his tone on this boards was just plain inflammatory and infantile. I reported a couple of his threads to arn, and arn wrote me back to say he had rebanned him...
Ouch, I hadn't heard this. Sort of puts it in perspective. And I though GoCyrus was the bad guy.

I think I would ignore inflammatory posts, especially directed at me personally. Sometimes standing up and fighting is exactly what causes the problems, and what they're looking for. As far as I'm concerned everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I know everyone sees things differently sometimes. If someone objects to what I have to say, fine. I won't play games and I can see how it would have hurt the threads whenever there was a inflammatory post. It would be more than frustrating.

my 2¢

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
re: anti-zealot campaign

every now and then, i have to state the origins of the campaign since it goes back into early 2001

an anti-zealot is someone who likes to promote macs for the virtue of the machine...not to make macs look better by flaming pcs with statements like "all pcs are ugly because they are beige", "all pcs are slow", or the famous "all pcs suck because they are not macs"

dogging pcs and pc users in this simplistic manner makes mac users look uneducated and ignorant

so to counteract the simplistic ignorance, spikey said he hated zealots and from then on, the movement, of trying to promote macs and not bash pcs simplistically, came about

after a time, i joined spikey, and then came mischief, and then about a half a dozen other people...but by then the original meaning may have been lost

i believe one of the administrators, mentioned they did not like one sentence posts like "pcs suck" and i agree

now if someone says most pcs are ugly or most pcs are inferior to macs, then that is ok since it is true...but in no case do all pcs suck...it really depends what you are using the machine for

if i was stuck on a desert island with a dial up connection and an electrical outlet...what computer would i like to be with...a mac, of course

or better yet, if i was only able to afford one machine, and this is the case of many citizens of the wired world, what would it be?...macintosh

as far as being flamed by spikey, i was, and by other mac users since i used to have "baiting" signatures or bios such as pc techie, pc repairman, pc network engineer, pc fix it guy, or something in that manner with the word "pc"...my business i have with my wife does fix macs, but we are certified in pc networking, windows, and ms office in the "pc world" and get most of our business on the pc side of the computing world...not to mention, pcs are 95 percent of the market and on an individual basis, a pc takes more, much more, maintenance than a mac

so since this is a mac only site, i now just state in my signature my belonging to the anti-zealot campaign

jef
pc fixer dude and anti-zealot;)

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
that's the stance I have tried to achieve for myself...

I understand the need for certain systems...and the reasons people have for them...and what suits one but not another...

like many here though...I am Pro Mac for life...but not oblivious to the fact that it's not the only thing around... ;)