Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.


macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
I spilled a lot of juice on my 2019 MacBook Pro... pretty much instantly the computer started bugging where it would turn off after a minute of having it on. The sound also stopped working and the Touch ID button does not work anymore.

I turned it off, flipped it updated down (idek if that does anything lol), and made my Genius Bar appointment.

I know I’m not supposed to turn it on, but because my appointment is tomorrow and I didn’t want to lose anything important, I turned it on to save some files. To my surprise the sound is working again and the computer is not randomly turning off.

I’m just looking for opinions... should I go to the appointment tomorrow or wait until it dies to go? I know it’s a ticking time bomb and it is going to die at some point, but I’m just unsure if waiting until it does is going to cost me more $.

I’m mainly asking because the earliest appointment I could get was to an Apple store an hour away so if I don’t have to go I’d rather not waste my time lol.


macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
Its going to cost you either way - whether its working or not Apple will probably want to replace the mainboard or any other parts they feel may have been subject to moisture. Whether they do it now or later, they'll still do the same and it will likely cost you the same amount too......

Personally I'd just wait for now if its working, although let it dry out properly for several days before using. Theres nothing more Apple will likely do at this point (other then give you a list of replacement parts). Backup all your data asap and see if you can find a more local authorised repair centre to take it in to if it plays up again (which it will likely do at some point)....


macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
you are doing the right thing by positng. Also google (help).
maybe a reliable 3rd party but highly rated none apple repair shop would work out better. take the time to clean things up inside not just replace them.

will it dry out quicker better if left on and the fan going? dont know

every flavor juce is different and you might not have any damage

back things up asap.


macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's not always the liquid that does the most damage, it's the residue that's left after the liquid has evaporated.

Best thing is to stop using it immediately, dismantle the unit, clean all of the affect areas with pure isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry, disassembled, for days.
Last edited:


macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This 13" 2015 macbook pro I'm typing on survived a pretty bad wine spill two years ago. The SSD was a loss, but after replacing that, it's as good as new. So my vote is, see how it goes - maybe you got lucky! - ... but keep a very current backup at all times.


macrumors member
Dec 24, 2020
Central Ohio
Drop it into a large bag of white rice (open and in an inverted clam shell mode) for at least 24 hours. Would have been better to do that immediately but may even help now. Good luck.


macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
I spilled water into mine before and it shut down but later powered back on. I did let the water drip upside down when unscrewed. I once dropped my iPhone 4s in the ocean and pulled it out 45 sec later. it worked for a couple months and then died randomly. im assuming corrosion got it.


macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Yeah, I think removing the bottom plate, and wiping down surfaces with alcohol is probably your best bet. I worry that the keyboard may be soon to go, and take extra care to wipe down areas related to audio since you know that’s already been affected. Let it dry for a few days after the alcohol. Corrosion will eventually get it, but if you’re thorough, you may have a good amount of time left. Logic board replacements aren’t cheap, and apple will not go easy on you, unless you have applecare+.


macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
If you have AppleCare+, I would just go to the appointment and pay the deductible for them to replace the logic board and be over and done with it. I think it is $299 in this sort of instance.

If you do not have AppleCare+, you could go to a third party repair company and have them inspect and clean the board to stop the corrosion that is occurring and will continue to worsen in time.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.