Spilled Coffee Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by j0ester, Jun 14, 2012.

1. j0ester macrumors member

So I was showing my co-worker my new MacBook Pro. It is about a month or 2 old max. I spilled his coffee on the desk as it was on and it seeped under the plate a little and turned off. I called Apple and I have a meeting with them at 6:45pm after work.

My main question is, WILL Apple fix it or give me a new one because of the fact its way less than 3 months old?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they won't. Apple Warranty and AppleCare do not cover damage from accidents.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

In the first place, why would you do that? :confused:

Seriously though, if what the guy above says is true, that sucks. :(

4. j0ester thread starter macrumors member

That is very weird. I just talk to a Representative and they said, "If your Macbook is less than a year old we will cover it. But some parts are not cover-able and you will have to pay."

If this is true. Yay. If what you say is true. I will be pissed. Especially since most other PC Companies covers accidental. Especially if it's way less than 3months old.

His coffee was on the table and I was showing him the magnetic AC Adapter and my elbow hit his large cup :(

5. jbzcar macrumors regular

What companies? Why would they cover something that isn't their problem. That would be like taking a car back to dealership because you flooded it out and asking for a new car because you only had it less than three months.

6. GGJstudios, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is false. It's important to remember than "Genius" is only their job title, and not necessarily an indication of their knowledge, experience or expertise.
    No, they don't. Warranties generally only cover manufacturer defects, not accidents. A few do, but most don't.

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty - Mac
    AppleCare Protection Plan

7. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

That's really, really unfortunate and it sucks that it happened not long after you got it, but I really doubt that they're going to repair it. If the coffee seeped through the bottom, the logic board was likely fried. Maybe you'll get a sympathetic Genius, and might earn some points saying how you were proudly showing it off, but their warranty does state that they don't repair accidental damages.

8. j0ester thread starter macrumors member

OHHHH WELL! I guess I'll find out tonight on what happens. If they deny me, I'll just buy a new one with Retina.

I still think an Apple Representative should not give out false information. Which I'll be fighting for too. I think I'll let my mom do this.

9. sinsta27 macrumors newbie

If it's gone to the bottom, its likely dead. I did the same thing with tea and that was enough to kill it.

As another poster said, you could be lucky and get a nice Genius bar guy who might replace it, but it depends on how hot your mom is......(joking).

10. Stonji macrumors newbie

They may be generous and replace the parts for you. Last year, my co-worker purchased a MacBook for his wife. She would take it to work so that she could listen to her music while she worked (she works at a nail salon.) One of her customers accidentally spilled a cup of water on MacBook, and it would not turn on anymore.

I took a look at it for him, but I knew the motherboard was fried. He took it to the Apple Store that he purchased it from, and they fixed the laptop free of charge. They also gave him a print out of what had been replaced. I had never heard of a company do that for a customer, I was really impressed by what Apple did. They could have easily told him that he was screwed and had to buy another.

11. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

There is no other PC manufacturer out there that covers accidentals. If you buy a computer today and spill soda on it tonight....you're SOL. Some places (such as Best Buy) offer protection plans with accidental coverage, but they are generally pretty steep add-ons.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

When you go in, clearly and nicely explain what happened. Be polite, explain everything in detail. See what they do. It isn't unheard of for Apple to be nice and replace something, but definitely don't go in expecting it. They're under no obligation whatsoever to replace it for you.

13. mleary macrumors regular

That is not true, Dell does. It is called CompleteCare and it costs less than applecare.

14. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Play dumb dont say you spilled coffee on it. Just that it turned off while using it.

15. GGJstudios, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not a standard warranty. It's optional coverage that costs extra, and it appears to have been discontinued.

16. serb macrumors newbie

i'm sure an apple rep will be able to see the motherboard clearly fried

17. mleary macrumors regular

Not discontinued, I just went on dell.com and I can add it to a latitude laptop for $99 for 3 years... Call it whatever you want but it's still cheaper than applecare.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1) That's fraud
    2) They'll find the coffee the second they open it up.

19. MimiHome macrumors newbie

MimiHome

Sorry to hear about the coffee spill on your Apple.:confused:

Many times it is important to know what your coverage is with a new purchase as well as other options which are available to you. To know your coverage may be to your advantage.

Hope you get your Apple fixed without much trouble.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I couldn't find where to add it at all, but here's where I got the idea it might be discontinued:
    There wasn't a question of price. The fact is, it's not a standard warranty. Anyone can buy additional damage coverage. Best Buy sells one of those contracts. The standard or extended warranties do not usually cover accidental damage.

21. DrNathaniel macrumors newbie

A note of hope

I've spilled liquids into keyboards more times than I can count. I've had devices shut down as you relate... but about 1/3 or 1/2 of the time, the device is just fine after the liquid has been cleaned out, or the device is repairable by simply changing the microfuses.

Basically, the liquid can short out components, but it depends on exactly what got shorted.

Fingers crossed.

22. spazmonaught macrumors newbie

I went through this just a couple of weeks ago. Short story: $1200 to fix liquid damaged MBP.

The machine was functional after the spill - I powered it off straight away and took it straight down to Apple. They opened it up an saw some evidence of the spill on the inside of the case. From that point it was non-negotiable. $1200 to replace everything (and continue Applecare). Even though it was most likely still functional. They talked about "protecting me from future issues with corrosion" and it was their way or the highway.

I ended up buying the new retina MBP the other day. That'll teach'em! <facepalm>

:)

23. pragmatous macrumors 65816

No it's not. Saying "my computer doesn't turn on" is not fraud.

Reading comprehension 101.

----------

It's better to have a chance to get it fixed than none at all.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You can quote the representative as long as you quote them accurately. Did they make any kind of notes that could be referred to later? PC companies do not cover this stuff automatically. Many of them have accidental damage coverage which can be tacked onto the warranty when you purchase the computer.

I'm not sure whether they gave you false information. Within the first year, they do cover anything that falls under the warranty.

Now I know the name :). Regardless of price, it is something that must be added, rather than something which is automatically inclusive. The OP worded it like he felt this was a standard inclusion for other oems.

You don't think repair techs who do this stuff all day can spot coffee stains? What I'd like to see is more attention paid to sealing on these designs. We can all question their intelligence, but most people don't anticipate such accidents.

25. dalarca macrumors newbie

Yep, CompleteCare is insane. Years ago a friend of mine bought it because the sales agent literally told her she could call up Dell on the last month of her CompleteCare warranty, tell them she accidentally spilled beer all over it, get the RMA number, then open and can and fry the thing. Voilà, free new laptop.

Never did find out if she actually tried this. But I wonder if these things get sold on commission since I doubt it's a standard Dell sales tactic!