Spilled coke on Macbook Pro 13 Inch 2 hours ago, in HUGE trouble. VERY VERY URGENT!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yasmeen, May 12, 2010.

1. Yasmeen macrumors newbie

Earlier today I was video chatting with my friend when I accidently spilled coke on my Macbook Pro. (BTW, my battery on my computer was low when this happened)

Of course I started freaking out.
    I spilled the coke on the keyboard and on the key pad. When it happened the track pad and the keyboard stopped working so I shut down the computer. My dad turned it back on and the keyboard and track pad seem to be working ok. He sat the computer upright. He then began to charge the computer (stupid right, i know) and had the internet wire still in the computer.

After this we took the charge and the cable off the computer and put the computer upside to let it dry. (the computer is still off)
    By the way this all happened in a 2 hour period

I am SUPER afraid to see what happens. I JUST got this computer for my birthday (April 17) and today is May 12th. Of course stupid Apple warranty won't cover liquid spills, so I don't know what to do. I know that they put in these sensors inside of the computer so if you try to go in to see if the warranty can cover it, they can just check the sensors (sneaky Apple!!)

Currently I have the computer upside (L position) and i'm just waiting. This computer cost SO much ( 1,300 + ) and now it could all be gone to waste. I'm always a klutz and this doesn't suprise me of what happened. I know that I was not careful and that it's all my fault. But what i'm asking is, what should i do now? Wait? if so, for how long?

(BTW, it wasn't PURE coke that fell. What fell out of the cup was water, but coke was in that cup so i'm pretty sure there was sugar traces left behind.)

Oh, and I have another question. I know that you can take the battery out for the MBP 15 and 17 inch, but I don't know about the 13 inch. I heard that you can't take the battery out for it because its a built in battery or something.

If the battery can be taken out, if I take it out will it be under warranty?

Please help.. I was hoping this computer would last at least 5 years but from that one little accidently I cut down the life span by a lot, saying that it will work. But i'm not even sure it will work anymore.

Help is definitely appreciated.

Also, if you are going to reply to this message, please keep it simple. I'm only 13 for crying out loud, LOL. (definitely not a laughing matter.)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Keep it simple? Ok.

13 year olds don't need macbook pros.

If your machine doesn't work anymore, blame your father for turning the machine on without waiting atleast 3 days.

The battery isn't removable and will be void with the rest of the machine, but you can bring it to Apple and let them diagnose it themselves.

Oh, and check this out: Spilled Liquid On My Mac or Keyboard

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    ok, what was it coke ,or melted ice water, sugar content WILL make a difference:confused:

4. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Well the good news is that you've learned this lesson relatively early in life. The bad news is that in the battle between soda and electronics, soda wins. I'd put the computer (turned off) in a big bag of uncooked rice for about a week to see if drawing the moisture out would solve anything (I did this with a camera once, worked fine after), but I'd have a hard time being optimistic about it. Your computer is probably toast, and probably doesn't have a warranty, I'm sorry to say.

5. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

drank most of the coke (probably a little bit at the bottom) , but it was melted ice water for the most part

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

7. lordofuo macrumors regular

I'm sorry to hear this, dude. :(

Unfortunately, most spill cases end bad.
    My cousin had a Powerbook for a long while, till she spilled a lot of Sprite directly on the keyboard.

She was able to keep it working long enough to get her work onto a USB drive (she is a grad student), but the mountings simply failed after a week or so.

Hopefully this will not be the case for you, but there's a good chance. Water is not a MBP's friend. Not at all. Especially with the newer trackpads.

Alex :apple:

8. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your reply. the thing is that when he put it upright, everything was working fine. i am afraid that it will start seeping into the logic board, however.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Why should Apple's warranty cover something that is your fault? You KNOW it's your fault, so accept responsibility.

The water sensors are not a sneaky move by Apple. They are there to make sure people don't try to screw them.

Sorry kiddo, chances are that your computer is fried. Your best bet is to hope for the best. Leave the computer alone to dry for a couple of days. If you still have problems, bring it to Apple and see how much they'll charge to repair it. If they can't repair it, you'll have to buy a new one.

10. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate your reply. thanks. would you know by any chance an estimate on how much it would cost? i've heard 400 up to 1,000, but not sure.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Unfortunately, that sounds like a realistic range. Probably more towards the higher end though......

12. booste macrumors member

booste

And kids wonder why their parents say "no" when they want a computer worth well over $1000... :rolleyes:

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'm sorry to hear your news kid. My son is 13, he got a macbook for xmas- not a pro.

My rule- no liquids within 3 feet... for this reason.

Good luck, hope it works out.

14. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. its just so crazy how in a spilt second you could have 1 thousand bucks down the drain.. i've definitely learned my lesson. NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER, drink or eat ANYTHING near your computer....

lesson well learned.

this is probably why i should listen to my parents. parents are always right.

15. mr meshuggah macrumors newbie

mr meshuggah

I think the real lesson here is not to drink Coke. Purely evil **** that is...

16. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

agreed. i would say not to have it around the computer in the first place. having a liquid in a different room would do it.

17. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Ok, a lot of panicking going on here. At the moment, there is no actual problems with the computer when you turned it on, correct? DO NOT turn the computer on again for a minimum of 72 hours. Leave it near something warm and dry, like a heat vent. Not too close, as you do not want to overheat the machine. Alternatively, I've used a hair drying alternating between the Warm setting (not Hot) and the Cold setting for a few minutes every couple of hours. It worked for me.

Your best bet right now it to not panic, wait the FULL 72 HOURS, and hope for the best. Report back then!

Good luck.

18. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply. I totally agree with you

Correct. thank you SOOO much for this post. It helped me a lot! I've heard that using heat on it will damage the machine even more since it spreads the liquid even more inside the computer. I will wait for at least 3 days and see how this goes. i really appreciate you answering me. thanks once again, and i will sure to check back and tell you how this goes! :)

19. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Honest mistake. It's not like he's the first. The topic is so prevalent that there's the whole guide for it. I say a new report every 3-4 weeks.

20. lordofuo macrumors regular

Your opinions have just been rendered void. :mad:

Alex :apple:

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hey kid,

Gotta tell you, for 13- you sound pretty grown up. Congrats on handling yourself so well in this situation.

Ignore anyone who bashes you. Sounds like you can hold your own.;)

22. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Should have insured it with your insurance agent it only cost 30 a year covers damage and theft.

23. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

btw i'm a girl, but I don't really think that matters anyway...

24. absolutazn87 macrumors member

If you bought it with an American Express card, AMEX will cover stolen or damaged property for up to 90 days after purchase. So you should be good for a replacement if you bought with AMEX

25. Yasmeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks tigres, that means a lot. Of course i'm still shocked by what has happened, but all I can do is pray and hope to God this goes well. Of course i've been in this same situation before - 2 cameras, a cell phone - yes, all the electronic devices i've ever owned seems to break.. i definitely have butter fingers.. I keep telling myself I will not do it again, I will not do it again, but of course, it always has to happen to me. I guess FINALLY i've learned my lesson, cause this has to be the one of the most expensive computer out there.

Too bad, we do not use American Express.. :(