Spilled Fanta on my Macbook...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smwatson, Jan 26, 2009.

1. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Oh ****.

So I spilled Fanta on my Macbook... I drained as much as I could out of the innards and removed the battery and dried that...

Is it completely screwed? I'll phone Applecare in the morning to sort it. Will I have to pay for replacement or whatever?

Literally the worst thing I've ever done.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lol we can never get one week without a thread like this.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you notice, the link I posted is to my reply to the very same question in another thread this morning. This makes 3 I've seen today: milk, water and fanta. When will they EVER learn??? :rolleyes:

4. Horst Guest

Add beer and red wine - though I'm dumb enough to do it, I'm not dumb enough to actually make it a forum topic :D .

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

This is not Apples fault so I would say, you pay :(

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

When will they learn. When they start thinking things can happen to them and not just the other guy.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Never drink anything near a computer that you can't put a lid on. Always drink something from a bottle and put the cap on! Expensive lesson.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Yeah, I spilled water on mines unfortunately. The screen wouldn't come on, so I removed the battery, turned it upside down and cranked the heat in my dorm. After awhile, the screen came on but highlighted pinkish-red, and eventually returned to normal.

The price I pay is constant flickering, which I suspect I fried the inverter.

9. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

It's fully insured, and I'll get a replacement new MacBook.
    Sorted.

Hat's off to Farpoint Apple Re-seller in Bath, UK. Fantastic service. The bloke who worked there was great too.

From the repair form:

"Equipment condition:
    good, but has been wetted."

:eek:

10. cronnos macrumors newbie

Wow, you're very lucky. I wonder if that's just the reseller's policy about spills...

11. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Don't really see what you mean?

12. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Because none of us have ever heard of anyone getting a warranty replacement when someone spills stuff on their Mac. So, since you bought it from a reseller, he was saying, that it could possibly be a policy that the re-seller has. And a good policy it would be.

But don't drink by the computer, simple as that.

13. Salmar macrumors regular

A more simple and common sense solution to the problem would be to not drink or eat anything at or near your computer! It works for me. This is the only solution not mentioned in this post and it's the only solution that makes the most sense.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

15. rth231 macrumors regular

What flavor Fanta?

There are over 70 flavours worldwide; however, most of them are only available by region in some countries.

How ironic would Apple flavor Fanta be (according to Wikipedia, they do sell this one in the USA)

You should see some of the weird flavors they sell around the world... Weirdest ones in BOLD

* Apple Vanilla
    * Banana
    * Bitter Water (because water was a flavor to begin with...)
    * Blueberry
    * Candy Cane
    * Chocolate Orange (A soda... seriously?)
    * Cinnamon Rum (again... what?)
    * Corn (EWW... seriously... imagine a Corn soda?)
    * Lychee
    * Mango (Which I'd love to try...)
    * Plum (nasty...)
    * Strawberry Yogurt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_availability_of_Fanta and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

16. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I drink like a loser when I am using my mac, I have it on my table, and when I want to drink something I turn around, and then drink then turn back, and the can is always somewhere where I need to get up. There are too many things that can go wrong. And in australia:

# Orange Spider
    # Chocolate Orange Spider
    # Strawberry Spider

^What the hell, strawberry spider??

17. erstwhilepo macrumors member

18. mannix87 macrumors 6502

yup. I keep my drinking mug on the floor & nowhere near my Macs:D

19. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

well how much did you spill

hopefully it did not get on your logic board

cause this same thing happen to me except i spilled tea

opened up my macbook wiped up all the moisture left it to dry for 24 hrs and it worked.

send my mbp to applecare and they replaced my stick keyboard for free.

20. yah00z macrumors regular

Well...

I had a similar experience. I had split soda on my macbook and they keyboard stopped responding. I took it to the AppleStore (forgetting the fact they did not cover this) and they told me not only did my keyboard need to be replaced but my mb needed to be replaced. I was rather puzzled by this because I had been using the system with an external keyboard and mouse for the past week prior to bringing it into the Apple Store. They quoted me just over 800 if I remember correctly. I have built and repaired several systems over the years and also did repair on dell laptops for awhile-so. Figuring it was already out of warranty due to the incident I purchased a new keyboard ($150) and replaced it myself. Laptop has worked perfect ever since. I was very disappointed in the apple store for telling me I needed a new logic board. There was no residue or damage to any internal components.

21. the Western zoo macrumors 6502

the Western zoo

I spilt red wine into my old macbook, and after that I made it a rule never to be near the computer with any kinds of liquids while drunk... :D

22. erstwhilepo macrumors member

Sometimes intoxication is in order just to read thru some of these forums...

23. smwatson thread starter macrumors 6502a

smwatson

It's not a warranty replacement. The laptop is insured - I send a letter to insurance company saying repair would be uneconomical and I get a replacement laptop.

I bought it from the Apple Online Store. I havn't spoken to Apple at all since I spilled Fanta. Which was Fruit Twist flavour by the way.