Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
One of the only things AppleCare doesn't cover is liquid damage. Therefore, if you screwed it by liquid you are going to have to purchase another one at your own expense.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Was quoted £896.52 to replace all broken parts. Which was absolutely everything.

The reseller gave me back the repair log report thing. Some quite amusing comments really.

"14:52 - Excellent distribution of fanta throughout. Logic board definitely fried. RAM visibly corroded and faulty. Battery fine. Optical drive sticky and sugary. Hard Drive looks maybe ok, testing HD for viability of data.

15:08 - HD failed."

So all in all, it took 16 minutes for my machine to be declared officially dead.

So now Direct Line have all the quotes and documents and I should get a replacement Macbook within the next week or longer...
In theory, I'll get an Aluminium new one. But I'm genuinely afraid they'll just give me a replacement laptop and I'll end up with a Dell. Which would be a nightmare to sort out.

As my dad said (a recent Mac convert), "that would be like breaking a Blu-Ray player and getting a VHS as a replacement".

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Shiny new AluMacBook is on the way.

If I plug in my HD with Time Machine backups of my old one on, can I just restore it all?

But then could I install iLife09 on the new one from the installation disks?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
"Don't ya wanna spill a Fanta? Don't ya wanna spill a Fanta?

HOLY SH**! I spilled my Fanta Fanta...."

Funny or not, somebody had to do it...

One of the only things AppleCare doesn't cover is liquid damage. Therefore, if you screwed it by liquid you are going to have to purchase another one at your own expense.

Well, the only thing they don't cover is physical damage, whether it be drop damage, liquid damage or the like. Just to clarify that a bit.

KnightSaber

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2009
I wish Macbooks were built more like tough books with the water tight keyboard that has a drain.

The cat knocked over a glass of apple juice a week and a half ago while it was on killing my wife's logic board. 325 dollars later I think its fixed assuming resetting the pram allows me to boot from the HDD.

One thing I was surprised at was that I thought the RAM had corroded, so I bought generic pc 5300 (which didn't work in my new/used board) So I talked to a friend of mine and he said that most apple RAM has alittle bit of white chalk/dusk on the pins and its NOT corrosion. Sure enough I put the old apple ram and it finally posted.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
One thing I was surprised at was that I thought the RAM had corroded, so I bought generic pc 5300 (which didn't work in my new/used board) So I talked to a friend of mine and he said that most apple RAM has alittle bit of white chalk/dusk on the pins and its NOT corrosion. Sure enough I put the old apple ram and it finally posted.

I noticed that for my first time on one of the original MacBooks that had the heatsink issues in which a customer had that and the RAM replaced by Apple. When they came to me to replace the top-case later on, I noticed this white grease on the RAM connectors. It's not something I see them do often, but it was some mayonaise-y like substance, maybe thermal grease or something similar (as some of those MB's had tight RAM slots). It's possible that later it dries up to a chalky substance, so that's normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.